Gary Fisher Superfly AL 29er Hardtail

• FCC MTB wheels
  • Avid Elixir 3 hydraulic brakes
  • Bontrager Rhythm seatpost

Justin Kreger   Racer [Oct 13, 2013]
Strength:

The bike is cheap and light. I've raced it for a whole year in cat 2 with everything stock and it worked great. now i'm racing cat 2 and the weight is a real advantage to some of my competitors

The wheels where lead bricks, I got my dad's single speed set of crest's that I put the cassette on. The tires where one of the worst tires in the front. i had no confidence with them, especially in fast, off-camber turns and in sand.

This is the first race bike I got and I have raced on it for two years. I only changed the wheels and tires so far and I think I will have this bike for a long time. I race at some ski resorts where you start off on the ski hill, and I personally think this climbs better than my dad's carbon version.

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher Piranha
CrimsonTider   Weekend Warrior [Mar 13, 2012]
Strength:

Very smooth on the trails. This bike just glides down the path. The geometry is fantastic, and originally overlooked by me. I had my eye on a Scott Scale Elite, but couldn't find the exact bike in my size. I reluctantly test rode the Superfly AL, and immediately noticed the difference in geometry. I also noticed how effortlessly the Suplerfly AL moved across the trail. The components are well above average, and I have been very happy with everything so far. Even the Avid Elixer 3 brakes! The Fox shocks are a major upgrade as well. I really like this bike.

Nothing so far. The tires do give a little, specifically the front one. I will likely run the stock Bontrager tires for a bit longer. A tire upgrade is likely in my future though.

Fantastic bike for the money. Great value all the way around. The weight and components on this stock bike are well above average. Loving everything so far. If you are a beginner to mountain biking, or getting back into the sport like I am, this is a bike you should seriously consider. The Superfly AL isn't cheap by any means, but you get what you pay for. The frame and fork alone sold me on the bike, and all of the solid components are a bonus. I will update as I continue to log the miles.

Similar Products Used: Scott Scale Elite
falconman50   All Mountain Rider [Feb 17, 2012]
Strength:

The entire bike is a strength...Geometry is good for most people and because its a Fisher you feel like your sitting IN the bike not on top of it. Bike is lite and does everything really well and has good components for the money. Climbs very well and if your middle aged, looking for 1st 29er, want to try to keep up with the young bucks...look no further. Going from a full suspension 26 inch bike I cant say I notice a tremendous difference in suspension IF you go tubeless.

I am not wild about the wheels....If your looking to be in technical stuff and push the bike hard you will notice that the wheels are a little wimpy...Hubs on wheels are not great and will break with hard use as they are Shimano 525's and are notorious for giving folks problems.

IF your thinking about the Elite...consider this. Ya, you get better components that are going to break anyway...The tapered tube is cool but makes NO noticeable difference in stiffness...New Wheels make MUCH more difference and you could have your local bike shop make up a set of wheels (Stan's ArchEX) for about $350.00. So, you end up with the same frame, much better wheels for the same money as an elite. Don't forget to go tubeless! Also, try Schwalbe Hans Damph and don't complain about the money for the tire. The same people that gripe about the price of that tire drink 3 pints of craft beer after their ride at $4.50 a pint. Also, the Hans Damph makes an enormous difference in handling...kinda same difference as your girlfriend in 8th grade versus your Prom date your senior year....(You get the picture)...

Similar Products Used: Demo'ed others in price range and this bike fit me best and had the best components....