Gary Fisher SuperCaliber 29er Hardtail

• Hubs: Bontrager Race Disc
  • Rims: Bontrager Race Disc 29

[May 17, 2009]
Sling Boy

Strength:

The combination of the 29er rims/wheels and the full suspension allows me to focus further down the trail, knowing that the bike will blast over the section that I am currently riding.

Could be a little lighter, the new HiFi comes in at 2-4 lbs lighter depending on frame size. My response to the squeaky Juicy 5 brakes comment, I bought a $4 can of brake cleaner fluid at AutoZone. I blast a quirt behind the brake calipers after every ride. No squeaking or grinding ever.
My buddy broke the rear triangle on his XL frame right about the pivot point. GF send him a new frame immediately and paid for his bike rental fees for the last two days in Moab. That's service!!!

I put over 6,500 miles on my Super Caliper in 2 1/2 years including three week long trips to Moab riding, Slick Rock, Pork Rim, Kokopelli, The Whole Enchilada, Baby Steps, Gemini Twins (the formally closed section).

I ride at the Black Rock Mountain Bike Association in Falls City, Oregon twice a month. If you haven't tried it, it is one of the premier down-hill jump courses on the west coast. 3 mile climb to the top gaining 1700' of elevation. The trip down is worth it.

I have broken one spoke, never had any other part or frame failures. The consistent riding seemed to keep the shock seals lubed well enough to only have to add pressure every 3 months.

I like the chain running under the chain stay rather than through it like the design on the HiFi.

I will never ride anything other than a 29er, (unless the 28er becomes the standard since I ride a smaller frame.

Gary Fisher HiFi Pro 29er
Slingshot Farmerboy 29er

[Dec 02, 2008]
BunE

Strength:

Fast! This bike is a ball all stock. Once I got rid of the extraneous crap and dialed in the front and rear...well it became a machine! I did move the Reba to 100mm and it seemed twichy at first but I jus tmessed with the handlbar position and BAM Up! Down! All around! I feel totally in control

Well, they only made it for a season! Can I get a rear triangle with carbon stays? Low BB but with the extented Reba, all is well.

It is too bad that they dropped the Race Day. It is made for speed. I like the Hi Fi, but seriously folks...ITs a great bike.

LURVE IT!

Raleigh XXIX (1x9 - Whoever emailed me about it, send me another note if you are interested) Monocog w switchblade. In short I love 29ers. I would like an Alma 29 and I loved a certain All Carbon GF...

[Oct 05, 2008]
climbbikeskione

Strength:

Good geometry for those with long limbs like myself. Lightweight 29er frame compare to to market. Good tire clearance...will fit the WTB 2.55LT.

I have not yet figured out the platform pedal capabilities of the Manitou rear shock but I have noticed some mid cadence bobing. Low bottom bracket but this is common among any 29er

Good bike, I have two other 29ers and this one is just as much fun as the others. It rides great with good geometry but it doesn't make me smile as much as my rigid singlespeed. I guess once you go rigid SS everthing else is mush!

For reference I also ride a Salsa El Mariachi Singlespeed 29er and a Salsa Dos Niner

[May 05, 2008]
Joe

Strength:

Great components, nice suspension, nice geometry, FAST

Low bottom bracket

Some of the extra obstacle traversing capibility gained by going 29" is lost with the lower bottom bracket. I'm going to get a smaller front sproket to buy myself more clearence. Where I go, that one doesn't get used anyway. I think this bike is a little better suited for speed cross and lighter obstacles.

Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

[Sep 18, 2007]
Chris Elder

Strength:

29ers more smooth, nicely integrated design, solid ride

None yet. Perhaps high center of gravity, but I am tall and long-legged (6'2" with 36" inseam), so I sit high on most bikes.

First impressions after 5 rides totaling about 50 miles: The bike feels tall and heavy (large size), but on the trail that doesn't seem to matter. I just have to remember to duck my overly-broad shoulders more rounding trees! Mine weighs 30 pounds, but to me this isn't a drawback, as the weight helps bring the center of gravity down for me. The gearing is perfect for the XC riding I do - I stay in the middle chain ring and most times the chain stays in the middle of the rear cassette. I felt comfortable from the first ride, and continue to grow more comfortable. I might look into getting more aggressive and grippy tires than the Bontragers provided stock, but these tires are quite well-suited to the dry, dusty conditions of late on our rooty local trails. The suspension feels very responsive. Rolls over logpiles without a hitch. Taking it on a race this weekend!

K2 Team Razorback

[Sep 04, 2007]
jim

Strength:

29er Wheels & Reba fork

lots, see review

I was very disappointed in this bike. I rented the Caliber from a LBS in Bend. The mechanic installed my Time pedals and asked my weight(#160) I was excited to find a FS 29er for rent, atleast till I road the beast.

The bike felt great on the two track heading out to the Dechutes River. I did not like the handling on the single track compaired to my superlight or SIR 9er. The large tires did roll over the many rocks well.

Several times I stoped to look over the rear end, it felt really loose. Those are some flexy wheels. The rear shock felt stiff and unforgiving. The Reba up front was great. I had to adjust the BB7 brakes on the trail to get rid of the draging. I hated the X-7 triggers. I must have accidently shifted 20 times. That bike just sucked on the tight single track.

After three days riding the Caliber I just cant give this bike more than three stars. It cant come close to the Superlight in any respect other than 29er wheels, and the SIR 9er also does everything better except no rear suspension.

At $1900 get an LX Superlight, you'll have more fun.

SC Superlight, SIR 9er, a few demos

[Jul 10, 2007]
Seth Darnall

Strength:

Light, durable, great stock components for the price. Rolls over most anything. Super flippin fast. The traction, the carving, the new found confidence.

Center of gravity higher on a 29er so slow technical stuff is not suggested, ie north shore skinnys. can take low impact freeride and all mountain, just stay off whistler. This bike is for xc trail and race.

I'm sold completely on 29ers. especially for xc.It can take technical stuff fairly well. rock gardens, no problem, roots, creeks, steep rooty inclines and tight windey loose descents... piece of cake. The bike coasts over the small things with ease and with just a light load unload motion, logs will be behind you in no time. The main point and the bottom line FUN FUN FUN!

specialized stumpjumper, intense spider

[Jun 20, 2007]
Mark Brown

Strength:

29 inches!!! Nice Geometry. Good components for price. Very fun to ride. Significantly better at handling trail obsticles than 26 inch wheels. Much faster on fire roads, etc. Better traction. As light as my Yeti.

Tight turns take a bit of practice; tubeless options are limited for now

Great bike for me! I am having more fun on the trail than ever. After buying this bike and riding for a bit I rode the Yeti to compare. Don't get me wrong, Yeti's are great, but they don't make a 29er yet.

The Yeti has been sold.

Yeti 575; Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

[Jun 18, 2007]
Marc Durand

Strength:

Price, looks, components.

Little bit softy sideway the tail. Don't like the color (black and gray).

I was crying the first week. What a fool I was to let down my Trek carbon that was so faithful for the last 4 years.

I changed for one big and useless reason: At 6'5" and 265 pounds, I was looking like a giant riding a BMX.

Then, I started appreciated my results. I never been so good on the trail.

Like it very much. Never going back.

Trek Fuel 100 carbon (26")

[Jun 16, 2007]
Scott G

Strength:

Famous 29er wheels for rolling over curbs in the city and rocks in the nasty. Good response from the shox. Comfortable riding position for long rides.

SRAM makes a great product, but this X9 RD should be matched to SRAM shifters instead of Shimano...Needs adj too often.

3 months in, and this bike has more than 200 hrs logged already...from simple commuter to and from work, local prairie trails on weekends, to a few climbs in the Rockies. I am sold on 29's, and I love the plush ride of full suspension. Careful hard cornering on the taller bike; get lower over into the frame so you're not riding the lift kit in the zips to fast you end up regretting it. Tight enough geometry for quickness, and angled top tube makes for ez step down w/out ringing the "bells".

Specialized rider/racer for many years before hanging the helmet. I'd have loved the 29s on the single trax.