Gary Fisher Marlin 29er Hardtail

• Frame: 6061 T6 aluminum, butted & hydroformed tubing
  • Tires: Bontrager 29-2, 29x2.1"
  • Shifters: SRAM X.4, 8 speed
  • Crank: Shimano Altus, 42/32/22
  • Cassette: SRAM PG-820 11-32, 8 speed

scurtis   All Mountain Rider [Dec 19, 2014]
Strength:

Frame is really nice, seat is nicer than mine on my mtb. Tektro brakes are decent after you replace the pads, cranks are OK, hubs are great.

Pedals are weak, chain should be sram, stem should be a short riser stem, tires wear out fast , fork needs rebound adjuster

Great for the beginner trail rider and easily upgradable. Would recommend for a beginner or someone as a commuter.

Similar Products Used: Rock hopper, rocky mountain,
Grant   Weekend Warrior [Mar 21, 2014]
Strength:

Handles exceptionally well for 29er. Fast and fun. Feels good under your body. Rides similar to a 26", but just eats loose rocks and roots. Components all preform well, easy to clean and upgrade if you desire.

Heavy, but balanced. Not much to complain about. Upgraded the brake pads, platform pedals to clipless, and aluminum brake levers to steel. Will probably upgrade the stock tires, but I'm in no rush.

Overall solid entry 29er. Alot of people harp on the fork but I don't see the issue. I put my bike through the ringer, but the fork preforms well as an XC bike in the midwest. If I lived out west, I would have bought a more appropriate bike.

I've found that general maintenance is key. Even though components are on the lower end, SRAM and Shimano do NOT make junk. Keep your drivetrain clean and lubed and this bike will last for a long time.

If you're just getting into mountain biking or simply looking for a great value (definitely me), I highly recommend this bike or the new mid-range X-calibers by Trek.

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher Marlin 2002
Jordhan Coward   [Oct 01, 2013]
Strength:

I bought this bike about 4 months ago and it was a great bike. It was nice looking, it rode nice, shifted smoothly, brakes were good. The front fork worked really good. The seat was more comfortable than the 150$ seat on my other bike.

The brakes, shifters, and shock gets worn out really fast. I am buying all new stuff for my bike. But it still runs really well. And it is a pretty heavy bike, at 29lbs.

This is an overall awesome bike. A few downfalls, but overall good. I recomend this bike to newbies and freestylers.

ksroadie   Weekend Warrior [Nov 12, 2012]
Strength:

I'm 6'4" and weight 260 lbs. I've only recently got into cycling and have rode 1000 miles in the last 3 months. I have found the Marlin GF frame fits me extremely well and I am able to ride 25-30 miles at a time without any problem. I was quite shocked how comfortable the factory seat was. I spent $150 for a seat on my road bike and its not nearly as comfortable.

The Marlin is pretty heavy. 29 lbs compared to my 16 lbs road bike. For urban trail riding the Suncor shocks are fine. Leave a little to be desired on single track trails however. That is definately something that I will be changing. The disc brakes work fine, but are quite noisey at times. Exspecially when they get dirty.

For the price you can't beat it. Any of the components can be easliy upgraded in the future if desired. I've found myself enjoying this 29er over my more highend road bike.

canyonaero   Weekend Warrior [Jun 24, 2011]
Strength:

Handles well, looks decent, rigid frame, great value.

useless forks, ugly and weak handlebar and stem, cheap and small cage pedals, noisy tektro mechanical disk brakes.

Great value entry level 29er. The Marlin beats out the Rockhopper in almost every riding situation. The GF G2 geometry really makes a difference in steering response and turning radius. For the price you really can't beat the Marlin for a entry 29er. I'm in the process of setting it up as a trail killer. The only thing the Marlin really needs is a better fork, I'm looking to upgrade to the Fox 32 F29 100/120 rlc.

Similar Products Used: specialized rockhopper
mikevj23   Weekend Warrior [Jun 09, 2011]
Strength:

Best bang for your buck, solid entry level 29r

Suntour fork isn't the greatest but will do for now, brakes are squeaky and not very reliable, grips turn when it's super hot out.

This bike was my graduation gift, I love it for that matter, it's a great bike if your just getting into mountain biking or riding a 29r. The GF Marlin frame is solid and is the same as the more expensive Marlin. Bottom line though I can hang all day with my friends riding there pricey Paragon's and Salsa 29r's so I am happy with my Marlin!

Similar Products Used: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper 29r
2011 Giant Talon 29r
2009 Giant Peace SS 29r
SaltySprocket   Weekend Warrior [May 16, 2011]
Strength:

Good bike for the price.

Forks are weak link. Not much more than tubes with springs in them. Quite heavy, weighs in at 30 lbs. bone stock.

I enjoy the bike for weekend rides. I have competed in a few duathalon races on it. It is a good, solid bike. However, after checking out some of the competition's bikes, it needs a diet.

Similar Products Used: Giant Rincon
JMHZ2401   Weekend Warrior [May 13, 2011]
Strength:

Good price for entry level 29er

Pedals are small, and do not feel sturdy.

Great beginner bike

Josh   Weekend Warrior [May 02, 2011]
Strength:

Super comfortable to ride. Love the G2 geometry it is no joke. Brakes work good. The 24 speed is more then enough for me. Fork works good. Great paint job.

Pedals,very cheap will need to be replaced. Brakes can be loud when I start riding but it doesn't last the entire ride.

Great bike for the price. You can't find a better deal on a 29er in this price range. Love the big wheels I will never go back to 26 inches for a hardtail. If your looking at a entry level 29er I would highly recommend this bike.

Similar Products Used: Trek 4300 Disc.
Hobblyjig   Weekend Warrior [Apr 24, 2011]
Strength:

I'm 6'4" 200lbs, and the 23" frame fits me very well.

The brakes are quite loud sometimes, but have plenty of stopping power. Shifter positioning isn't ideal, but not all that bad. Stock seat is not comfortable for me for long (anything over 5 miles) road rides.

I ride 65+ miles a week on the road with this bike it has been enjoyable. I got it early in the season and have only been able to take it up the mountain once, yesterday. It blew my mind. I was on a trail with a lot of large tree roots and rocks (Bonneville Shore Line) I really felt like the larger angle of attack on the 29er made a lot of difference to an inexperienced rider.

After 2 months of solid riding I would definitely recommend this bike. Given the choice I'd but it all over again. I don't think there is anything else even close to it in the $500-700 range.

Similar Products Used: Only had ~$200 bikes before this.