Gary Fisher Caliber 29 29er Hardtail

• Saddle: Bontrager Race Lux
  • Seatpost: Bontrager Select
  • Handlebar: Bontrager Select Big Sweep OS

georgevel1979   Weekend Warrior [Mar 25, 2010]
Strength:

Light, Strong, Fast, Components are above average!

Bottom bracket is a bit low, but hasnt really bothered me on the trail. Tires are made for hard surfaces, not good for lose sand.

I bought the bike after i accidentally won it on ebay. I thought i would be over bidded, but found out i had won. For the price i paid i got a steal. The bike rides awesome, the components it comes with are great. After reading reviews on 29'er i didnt believe the hipe...well after riding a 29'er i will never go back to a 26'er. This bike rides great, the suspension is only 3" but it works great for the rides i like doing.

Similar Products Used: GT Avalanche 2.0
firedudecndn   Racer [Nov 25, 2009]
Strength:

Very light
Responsive
Very good steering

weak paint?

I can only review the frame, I picked it up second hand and traded parts over from my 2008 Norco Nitro Niner.
I was suspicious of a 29er full suspension frame but after 5 rides on a variety of trails I cannot say enough good things about this bike. It makes me a better rider.
The harder I push it the more it wants to go and I can tell already that I'll need better fitness to really bring this bike to it's peak performance.
What can I say? I love this bike, probably the funnest bike I've ever owned.

Similar Products Used: Norco nitro niner
wabiker   Cross Country Rider [Sep 11, 2009]
Strength:

Lightweight, durable, and extremely easy to ride

Makes the rider feel invisible.

This bike is good for experienced looking for a good cross-country bike. It also offers beginners security. It's the best bike out there, everyone should ride one.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Stumpjumper
stkshooter   Weekend Warrior [Mar 08, 2009]
Strength:

larger wheels feel more stable and roll over obstacles easier.Has great contact patch.

when I compared bike with others and 26" it felt good but had more flex. It felt like frame flex but must have been loose spokes because dealer serviced bike and it was gone. I tried to make it flex and it wouldn't, so for those who notice lots of flex try to tighten everything including spokes. I'm 200lb.and love the bike now.

Bought bike new for lifetime warranty. I test rode other bikes and picked the 29er over 26". I chose the larger frame since I was between sizes and could go either way. After racing motocross, etc. for years I felt like this bike fit much better than the smaller frames. It felt comfortable and that's what I needed for crosscountry type riding. After the flex problem was solved I have been very happy. Couldn't find another 29er close to what I paid which beats all the others hands down since I could use the saving to upgrade bikes weaknesses if I felt there were any.

Similar Products Used: other mountain bikes 26"
knobbytiretours   Cross Country Rider [Aug 19, 2008]
Strength:

Just wanted to throw a few words out there to correct some misconceptions I have read in this thread. Gary Fisher has one of the best warranties in the industry- BAR NONE. I was GIVEN a caliber 29r by Gary Fisher FREE of Charge, because they sent out the wrong size replacement frame for a warrantied sugar 29r I had bought the previous fall as a DEMO bike. Gary Fisher stands behind their products 100%, and will repair and replace then at no cost to the consumer. Their warranty is lifetime, and will transfer- all you have to do is take it to a GF dealer.

After getting the caliber for free, 3 months later I too cracked the rear triangle. Guess what, I took it in, GF approved the warranty and sent out a new triangle and paid for the repairs. ALL on a bike I didnt even PAY FOR! Do not let the welding problems hold you back from buying this bike. Everything else said about this ride is dead on target. It screams down hills, SCREAMS. If you can keep the RPMS up, you will fly up hills, it rolls over everything, it takes an act of congress to fall on this bike as the gyroscopic effect of the wheels is insane. I have recovered from insane washouts, spinouts and others by just keeping the front wheel straight and upright. The grip this bike has is incredible, you can lean it into turns and maintain momemtum like crazy.

lateral rigidity. At first, I thought I had broken the bike it flexed left and right underneath me so much. Then over time, I realized it was just how the bike rides and I got used to it. Expect the bike to flex left and right underneath you alot if you are over 200lbs. I have grown kind of fond of the flex though, and use it to my advantage.

Bottom line is, dont shy away from GF due to frame cracks. They will cover the repairs, and you might even get a brand new bike for free like I did. Who cares if you break a frame every year, if you get a brand new one and a fully adjusted rebuilt bike out of the deal??? especially when its ZERO out of your pocket.
Combine that with the excellent ride, climbing, descending, speed, sand ability, and you have one heck of a deal

Similar Products Used: Redline monocog Rigid SS 29r, GF sugar FS 29r. Trek 4900 disc 26"r.
Darren   Cross Country Rider [Jun 13, 2007]
Strength:

The geometry felt just right. The bigger wheels make it feel like a bike with about 5" of travel instead of 3'. On my initial test ride, side by side with a Gary Fisher Hifi Plus, I easily climbed two hills that I struggled with on the HiFi. They both had the same Bontrager tires. The front end felt planted and the rear tire never spun out.

Haven't found any yet. Maybe the color- it's growing on me though. Will update after more time in the saddle.

I test rode the Caliber 29 after reading some 29er reviews. I'm glad I did! This bike is FUN. I ride mostly singletrack with nothing too aggressive (big drops, etc.) Race an occasional off-road triathlon. The geometry on the 26er bikes, except the Jamis, felt weird to me. If you're looking at a 4-5" travel XC/Trail bike check out this bike. I previously rode a Giant XTC DS-2 and wanted something more relaxed. I can't wait to ride the wheels off this thing.

Similar Products Used: Tested: SC Superlight, Jamis XCR Expert (great bike), Specialized Stumpjumper, GF HiFi, Trek Fuel EX
ted larsen   Cross Country Rider [Dec 24, 2006]
Strength:

Last summer I rode a custom Zinn (XXL) over a long weekend. It was my first 29er to demo. I really loved the bike but was gun shy of the $5K purchase price. I waited to see if anything else got my attention. Many months later the Fisher Supercaliber 29er came out. I demo'd the XL frame for a long ride, did some research on it, compared it to the Zinn specs and was just amazed! It is as big as Zinn's bigest frames, lighter, built almost to the same specs, and almost half the price! What I look for in a bike is for it to be an extention of me. I want it to be transparent. I just want it to work! And this bike flat out does it! It climbs, turns, brakes, and rips downhill without my needing to pay loads of attention. And it is stiff. I am 6'7" tall and 205lbs. If I can't flex it, and I can hammer a bike hard, it is stiff.

None yet, at least that I have found.

This IS the deal of the year. The msrp on the bike is $2400. NM Bike & Sport did it for $2200 and upgraded the extra parts. They know fit and did an excellent job getting me the bike. Sure you can get a flashier bike, but you can't get a better deal for a bike of this quality!

Similar Products Used: Zinn 29er, Lightspeed Owl Hollow, Santa Cruz Blur LT, etc...
Jamie   Cross Country Rider [Nov 18, 2006]
Strength:

I am reviewing the Supercaliber. Same frame, but a step up in components. This is my first 29er so pardon my unabated enthusiasm. This bike is a blast. I have been riding mtn. bikes for 20 years. I am not a great rider but can hold my own and have fun. This bike is a whole new experience. It is so stable and nimble on the trails. I go over obstacles so much easier, with greater confidence, and certainly with much more joy. The bike just fits me well. Maybe it is the genesis geometry, the long top tube, or the 29 inch wheels. I can curve around switchbacks faster by taking a "29er line". I use the outside margin of the switchback and accelerate as I approach the apex. Climbing is excellent with much better traction than my 26er. The bike is heavier than my 26er and is more work in that regard, but the energy cost is far offset by the pure joy and fun factor. I find that I am able to distance myself from some of my 26er pals for the first time. The dual suspension is perfect. No bob with acceleration and climbing, and great ability to absorb whatever I throw at it. I love the front fork lockout feature and use it all the time on climbs. It is so easy to engage/disengage the lock out. The SRAM shifters are flawless. It is nice to need to use only your thumb when wearing lobster mitts in the Wisconsin fall/early winter.

The grips are firm if not harsh, but rather than switching them out to some marshmallow grips, I'm finding that I'm getting used to them. The seat looked way too plush. I thought I would upgrade to something lighter and more firm, but I have kept it because it is comfortable and doesn't negatively affect my riding whatsoever. In fact I never think about the saddle, which is the way it should be.

I love riding this bike. Some of it admittedly must be new bike lust, but there is an amazing difference between this bike and my 26er. This bike just flows through the woods! Our trails have been considered very technical and the bike allows me to ride beyond my skill level. It forgives my flaws and weaknesses. I no longer have to pick the perfect line through a rock garden or root orgy. I just point the thing where I want to go and accelerate. Log, rock and root crossings are much smoother and subsequently safer. The fun factor is priceless. I saved and reviewed various bikes for quite a while before purchasing this bike and it has been a blast. My greatest bike rides are when I actually forget about the bike and just ride easily on the trails. This bike allows me to do just that. It is similar to xc skate skiing. I just flow around, down and up the trails. Highly recommended.

Similar Products Used: First 29er. I test rode the Paragon. I had a Giant NRS XTC for many years. Before that a Trek OCLV hardtail.
BrushHog   Cross Country Rider [Nov 15, 2006]
Strength:

Roll Roll Roll… This is for the similar SuperCaliber … Excellent This Bike Floats over the sand Rips up the hills Sticks on the mats, Rails the corners, Just right No bob susp, Great Bontrager Jones tires clean rocks & roots Crisp, Nimble, Telepathic handling, Sweet stealthy flat black frame Incredible spec, Stable, Fast, Forgiving, Hovers, Rolls and Rolls

Can't wake me up to go for a run.

There is alot of talk about 29ers, listened to volumes before putting money down & waiting 6 months for this thing to be built & delivered. It was worth the wait. This is a flat Black & matte Silver SuperCaliber XL in person it is very clean & tough looking. At 6'-2" 250 finally have a bike that fits properly (20 years since my first Miyata) No more jacked up seatpost, high-rise steerer shims and tippy handling, your center of gravity is lower and the difference is very cool, you can now trackstand (hover) with ease when maneuvering technical sections. (Like riding between 2 gyros) The stability makes climbing less of a chore with much added traction. Sand is marginalized, you float acrossed it, this trait alone is phenomenal! Riding one is a new quiet gliding cruise missile experience -Brakes!-you are rolling much faster than perceived-go ahead rail the corner--Stand & mash it and it surges obediantly without bouncing. The suspension is outstanding 3" + big sturdy 29 " wheels and great meaty tires – it just works – setup hard the bike feels electric-sort of chomping at the bit-I've softened it and its just transparent-smooof! So far the little ring has been neglected--and with a 30 middle may be abandoned. Hats off to Gary Keith Jeremy and Travis for acing their homework!

Thanks for the great bike.

Its been great on Mich tight twisty rocky rooty singletrack, can't wait to ride the mountains in spring.

I highly recommend anyone taking a SuperCaliber for a spin.

BH

Similar Products Used: Fisher Paragon 29er, Own: Specialized M2 Stumpjumper XTR Hardtail, Pro-Flex 856 Risse/Manitou, Jamis Dakar Cloud Nine/Marzocchi White Ind XTR, Schwinn Woodlands
Robert Loehr   Cross Country Rider [May 25, 2007]
Strength:

I cant find a thing wrong with the bike and I have had my share of bikes over the last few years to compare.Maybe the one negative fact is that I need to re-learn how to take off camber tight switchback turns. The bike is fast it fits me better than any bike I have had. The bike climbs easier. I just love my 29er !.

Tight Turns on off camber switchback trails .
The stock seat hurts the tomato's after awhile.

BUY IT !.
I am 6'1" and I got the 19.5" frame and its perfect !.

Similar Products Used: Yeti 575, Santa Cruz Chameleon ( Still have the Chameleon ). Trek 8500, GT XCR2000, GT Rukus,Trek Liquid 30.