Fuji Tahoe 29 Pro 29er Hardtail

• Fork: NEW Rock Shox Tora 318 Air 29" w/Turn Key LO and 80mm Travel
  • Drivetrain: TruVativ 5D 3.0, 22/32/44T, SRAM X.7 Trigger, 27-speed
  • Wheels: Fuji sealed bearing hubs, WTB SpeedDisc AM 29"DW w/ Single Eyelet 32H

grizzlyplumber   Cross Country Rider [Nov 19, 2012]
Strength:

Great value. Good components at this price level. Juicy Hydraulic Brakes and a RS Tora are nice components for under a grand.

Truvativ crank was a heavy pos.

I have had this bike for about a year and a half and I love it. Stock was just a little heavy, first thing I did was ditch the crappy crank for a 2 piece Sram that dropped over a pound off the weight.
I ride mostly light flowing single track with some long climbs that pay off with long speedy descents and this bike loves to climb. I came off a 26" full suspension and I do miss that on some of the downhill sections but the trade off to a hardtail pays off on the climbs. I really wanted to see what the 29 craze was about, found a smokin deal on this bike, two years old but never ridden, still had the rubber nipples on the tires. Love the setup, got a FS 29er now and put road tires on this, commute with it and go for extended rides through the roads around my town.
Definitely recommend this bike to anyone looking for a budget 29er thats not bottom line, good value, and upgradeable over the long haul.

Similar Products Used: GT Idrive
Santa Cruz Blur
Gary Fisher HiFi 29
Jon   [Nov 15, 2012]
Strength:

Price, Components, Ride, Everything

Crankset is weak but ok . Nothing

I just p/u an overstock 2009 Fuji Tahoe 29 Pro from bikeshopwarehouse.com. I only paid $679.99 and that included tax and shipping. That's simply amazing for this level a bike. I took it to my LBS (Performance) and they even were amazed! The shock is a fully adjustable air shock with compression and rebound adjustments and lockout. The travel is plenty when you dial in the compression and make it nice aqnd stiff. The bike is light IMO. The Fuji website has it just under 30lbs bone stock. I know people who have got this bike down to 25lbs with upgrades. The bike comes with XPEDO clipless pedels that are $100 bucks by themselves, nice touch. The key with 29r's is the frame size. I am 5'11"/210lbs and I chose the 17 in and it's perfect. Every bike is different so make sure you don't buy too big fram or you will hate it. The 29" wheels add the the overall size of this bike. My Juicy 5 brakes are phenomanal...no noise and the stopping power is crazy. I can lock the rear tire and whip this bike through the technical stuff with no problem. The gearing is right and the X7 SRAM shifting is more than adequete. Make sure you have the bike shop retighten your cables after your first ride or two as things will stretch and settle from being boxed up for 3+ years. I added a lizard skins chain protector b/c after my first SS ride I noticed a lot of chain slappage and the paint chips to boot on the frame. The proctor took care of that problem! overall this is a simply Amazing bike for the money...no complaints from me here! If you can get you hands on what remaining overstock left I would advise to buy a size down from your normal frame.

TPanda   Downhiller [Jun 14, 2011]
Strength:

its ok...and has great nipples

a bit rubbery..like a double-ender

buy my ass if you like crustyrings

safetyfifth   Cross Country Rider [Feb 19, 2011]
Strength:

Front fork, build quality on frame, wtb saddle.

Wheels, chainrings, derilluars,
overall bike on the heavy side, brake performance poor.

After all the hype about the 29er thing, I decided I had to get one and try it. I could instantly tell the difference from 26 to 29, not to my liking though. I felt the bigger wheels just zapped my momentum going uphill. The first and middle chainrings bent after a few months of riding, wheels constantly were out of true. I was always having to true the wheels, bent spokes, just plain junk quality. Also didn't like the shifting on the SRAM equipment, the front never shifted correctly, the lbs could never get the cables adjusted correctly. The brakes were always spongey, and made lots of noise under heavy braking. Overall I was not happy owning this bike and was glad when I got rid of this bike. Idk I guess there is a lemon in every group, just never enjoyed the bike the whole time I owned it.

Similar Products Used: First 29er. Various 26 hardtails.
Bigjoe78   Weekend Warrior [Jan 10, 2011]
Strength:

Production quality is very good. Upper end groupo at an entry level price and the bike is ready to ride. Strong and stands up to abuse.

Paint is easily damaged and seems heavy for a hard tail (but rolls like a dream).

I bought a less expensive 29er to give it a try and was smitten immediatly. This bike rolls like nothing I have ever ridden (Even the other 29er I owned) and the build quality is very good. Brakes are very good and I have not had any of the issues with the Juicy 5's others have noted. I am 6'5" and 280 lbs. so any weaknesses are found quickly. For the $,the Fuji is hard to beat. The Tora is a huge upgrade over the Dart 3 and I have no reason to swith to a Reba, but I know it will happen at some point. I never road the bike with the X7 rear, but the X9 is PERFECT and would recommend that upgrade to all who purchase as it was the best $40 I ever spent!

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher cake 2 dLX. Marin Alpine Trail 29er and more.
ak77   Weekend Warrior [Oct 19, 2010]
Strength:

Pretty well sorted bike, frame, fork & wheels all not superlight but sturdy & feels good. Derailleurs, brakes & shifters work as they should.

Pedals, chainrings, chain.

I ride this bike on a daily basis on both trail and road (300-500 m climb to commute to work), and I really like it. It's not superlight but that keeps the legs strong. The frame stiffness is good keeps the front wheel tracking on climbs and gets to good speed on descents without ever feeling unstable.
One of the pedals it came with (Xenduro?) failed after three days, but the shop gave me a different set for free, which have held fine since then. The center and large chainring have both bent out of true, which is a bit annoying. The stock chain wore really fast but that may have been my fault for not cleaning it regularly.
All in all a fine bike for a good price.

Similar Products Used: None
Stranded   Cross Country Rider [Aug 30, 2010]
Strength:

Sturdy, smooth ride (love the big wheels--once you go 29, you don't go back!), smooth shifting, excellent braking (Juicy hydraulics)

Derailleurs tricky to adjust (for me, but I'm no expert); brakes tightened up in hot weather, but the shop adjusted them at no charge, and no further problems. The bike is no lightweight road machine, but I like the sturdy, secure feeling for banging over rock and through washouts. And when you get back on your road bike, you'll feel like you're flying (you will be!) The gearing is sufficient to find a comfortable combination, whatever your level of fitness. No significant weaknesses.

A bit pricey compared to Motobecanes and Monocogs, etc, but it's a rock-solid bike. If you aren't a real gearhead, I recommend buying from a shop with a good mechanic to do adjustments. Well worth the money. It's a "boss bike"--if you like to sit up high and feel like king of the road/trail, you'll love it. I'm 5' 11" and 185 and it fits me perfectly. I don't do a lot of hardcore downhill or technical, but on this bike I feel ready for anything.

Similar Products Used: None; first 29er, first "real" MTB
el bikobandito   Cross Country Rider [Oct 22, 2009]

Fuji makes some nice bikes, but the Jury is still out on this one.

First I like the 29er thing...bigger wheels get over more obstacles, sure I'll buy that now that I had some saddle time. It does have the feel of riding over stuff not through it. I never understood that phrase until I rode a 29er. Is it a huge difference? I don't think so but it is different. Second, Fuji nice job on the parts pick, Juicy 5s, X7, WTB speed disc. Good Work. Lastly the $. Where can you buy a bike equiped like this for $869 (yes, thats what I paid!!! And I got $120 of performance points and gift cards thrown in with it!!! WOW!!!)

Now for what I dont like: The 29er thing going uphill, where your gear ratio is different because of the big wheel, well that just plain sucks goin uphill. I've never been one to reach the top before all the others, but now when I get to the top all my buds are burnin time sending texts while they wait for me. Not a fan. BTW the gear thing is not Fuji's fault its all 29ers (SRAM dudes if your reading this, build a 11-36 cassette for dudes like me. I'll buy a whole bunch!!) Second, 30.3 lbs?!?! WHAT?!?! Its a Hardtail, its supposed to be light!?!? That weighs almost as much as my Cannondale Prophet (which is an indestructable big pig of a bike...although I love her...Go "Big C"!) Anyway I'm sure Fuji can find a way to whiddle a few lbs off. This is my biggest gripe. Lastly, why spec any bike with Conti tires (it comes with the Mountain Jester...Oops I mean King. my bad.) Those skinny little rubber rings slip more than my 6 year old on iceskates.

All in all 5 chilis for value...$869 buck and 3 overall.

frisbee91   Weekend Warrior [Aug 02, 2009]
Strength:

Components

Geometry of the "small" size. Squeaky Juicy 5 brakes. Moderatly heavy. (about 32 lbs fully equipped)

This is a well made bike. Seemed like a good value to me. I decided to try the 29er revolution, but at 5'8" tall, this bike is just too big for me. The long wheelbase and high center of gravity made it awkward to ride. It's a beast to handle on twisty trails. After a month, I returned it to Performance Bike (who were great to work with). My advice is that the 29ers are for big dudes.