FOCUS Bikes Red Skin 2.0 29er Hardtail

• Crankset: Shimano FC-M542
  • Brakes: Shimano 445 disc brake
  • Seatpost: Concept EX

XT   Cross Country Rider [Sep 26, 2011]
Strength:

It is a twentyniner that lets small 26er look like kids bikes.
Mostly XT/SLX components on chain train
100mm RockShox fork

Shimano 445 brakes are somewhat the low end.
Could have used a better cassette.
Rims are low end and heavy, I suppose.

I like the bike. I like the look and the drivetrain, although it is only 3x9. Need to upgrade the cassette and at some point the cranks too. Will see how long those last.

Despite the 2012 models that are yet to come, I consider it a good buy early this year.

It is a fast bike, stiff and highly responsive. The 29 wheels take care of the little obstacles in your way - roll over it.

OVERALL
jul29er   Cross Country Rider [Aug 26, 2011]
Strength:

One of the first affordable 29er MTB available in France.
Full XT transmission except SLX Shifters.
The interest from the other riders when they see for the first time my 29er in action

SLX shifters, really want to remove them for XT models (got one pair of these on my 15 Year old Grisley and it's clearly awesome, smooth and accurate)

The other weakness is wheels, wheels, wheels. I think i'll get some fulcrum wheels next year.

Moreover, i think the frame got a default. the rear wheel is not in the straight line.

Great for ride. I'm the kind of guy not really smooth with his material. It's quite strong.

What i like on my focus : comfort, stability in fast and swinging fast track (can easily follow a spe stumpjumper(26') which costs 4 time more money),
its ability to run fast on an easy track.