Diamondback Overdrive 29er Hardtail

Great for cross country,The Overdrive 29er features large 29" wheels and a 100mm Suntour fork. Frame: Overdrive 29" Butted 6061-T6 Aluminum w/ FormedTop / DownTube, machined headtube, forged drop outs w/replaceable hanger, disc only Fork: SR Suntour XCT 100mmTravel, 28.6mm stanchions Cranks: SR Suntour XCT 22/32/42t Bottom Bracket: Sealed Cartridge F. Derailleur:ShimanoTX50 dual pull,Top swing, 34.9 R. Derailleur: SRAM X-4 8spd Shifter: SRAM X-4Trigger 8spd Brake Levers:Tektro Alloy w/ reach Adj

sl3pr   Weekend Warrior [Dec 21, 2016]
Strength:

Almost bulletproof design, nice wheel/hub set for the price.

Drivetrain and brakes

If the brakes and drivetrain were better, I would easily give this 5 stars. If you're willing to switch them out, you will have a solid bike that can really take a beating and will rival nearly any other hardtail. I'm over 250+ lbs and have landed HARD on it many times with no damage. Even though these wheels are heavy, but can take a real beating and stay true. Overall, I've been impressed by this bike.

NateDubya   [Mar 27, 2015]
Strength:

I have ridden this bike pretty hard for 5 months. The frame has held up just fine, all of the Diamondback parts are of high quality, well designed, well built, and sturdy. Low bottom bracket height and steep head tube angle make for a great ride on flat flowy courses and a good climber. The XCR is a good fork as long as it is stripped and cleaned every couple of months. It really does track quite well after a good cleaning. The brakes, while they have some minor quality issues they stop the bike a hole lot better than any V brake I have ever tried. The wheels convert to tubeless pretty easily and honestly have not caused me any troubles. I liked the original saddle but it wore in about 2 months.

If you ride as much and as hard as I do than almost all of the 3rd party components are weaknesses. Especially the drive train. My bike was mixed and matched with low end Shimano and Sram parts which is normal for this price range. The 3x8 Altus/Acera setup never shifted smoothly. Even after a tune-up. In 5 months I have replaced every single drive-train component on the bike. I will tell you that the crankset was torqued on so hard that it had to be skinny wheeled in half to get off. The M395 brakes are cheaply made but functional.

The geometry is a little awkward, to clear the big rear 29er tire and achieve the low BB height they put your seat tube way too far forward. The seatpost has a rear offset to help but its not enough. Downhill riding will wear you out pretty fast on this bike.

I have had a lot of fun on this bike. Its sprints well, corners well, is very stable on flat terrain and can be very fast with the right tires. It handles downhill just fine but it is very taxing on your upper body. I don't plan to get rid of it any time soon. In 5 months I have spent $262.00 on upkeep (not upgrades) and have around 35 bench hours into her. It will make a great loaner bike when I upgrade.

Luke   [Aug 03, 2014]
Strength:

Cheap intro to XC biking, good brakes (on Sport model), good tires.

Terrible saddle, XCR fork is a bit dodgy, rear derailleur needs readjustment pretty often

I've been riding this bike for about two months, and for what the price is, I'm pretty happy with it. If I didn't know better/plusher/smoother forks existed, I'd be very happy. It's the first new mountain bike I've bought, and while I probably wouldn't buy the same one again, I would say it's a good place to start and would recommend it to anyone who wants to give XC biking a try.

The bad: Fork is advertised at 100mm of travel, but I get maybe 60mm, and it's dog-slow to react to changes in terrain- I need to be basically airborne for the thing to actually get any travel. The saddle is an absolute killer. Even with a padded cover and bike shorts, it's a real bruiser and probably the biggest thing limiting the time I can spend on the bike. Rear derailleur (Shimano Acera) needs to be readjusted about every 10 km of off-road riding, which is definitely not a plus. Also, there's a mysterious clicking noise that only occurs sometimes; I can't figure out what it is.

The good: Hydraulic brakes! Wow, what fun! The tires are nice and grippy, the wheels have stayed true thus far. I do a lot of riding on the roads to get to/from trails, and it's capable on pavement as well. People who don't know much about bikes are very impressed with it, which depending on your personality may or may not be a plus. The frame fits me pretty nicely, and with the exception of that rear derailleur, all the components do their job well and don't slide, rattle, or loosen up with time. I have a blast with it, warts and all.

Ezra   [Feb 17, 2014]
Strength:

Light frame, great price

Seat sucks, front shock is soft

Great bike, I have got back in MTB after 15 years. Great bike for the price. I bought the 2013 model, and a buddy just bought the 14 model. I have to say that the SRAM shifters and rear derailer on the 13 model is much better than the shimano componets on the 14 model. The frame on the 14 model does look better and is more sleek. The seat sucks which I replaced immediataly. The suntour shock is soft but works better than anything back in the day. Great bike for the price

Brent   Cross Country Rider [Jan 28, 2014]
Strength:

Solid intro into the 29er world IF you choose to purchase the Comp or Pro.

Where do I start, SR Suntour is a good brand for high end forks unfortunately, this is their mass production lowest quality component. Tektro mech brakes require constant adjustment but are solid. Seat post is heavy and the seat is uncomfortable beyond anything than a quick ride.

If purchasing this bike, I would greatly consider the higher spec setups (Comp, Pro) in comparison to the standard sport, this will provide you a better quality group and more joy out of riding without the constant fiddling with brakes and derailleurs.

John Schroeder   Weekend Warrior [Oct 14, 2013]
Strength:

Large size frame fits my 6 ft body very well.Heavy frame also absorbs vibration.Solid wheels have taken a proper beating without distortion.Bottom bracket not creaking even after pedaling thousands of kilometers.

Suntour fork was not very smooth due to insufficient lubrication.Easy disassembly of fork,cleaning and greasing resulted in plush performance.Gearing way too high for a entry level 29er.Installation of a 38 tooth cog behind cassete solved problem.Brakes were squeeling like a herd of pigs from hell.Installation of old set shimano brakes with cool stop pads ended the madness.WTB wolverine tires slipped on rims with low psi,replacing tires with wire beaded CST and Serfas tires fixed it.Seat was antagonistic to my anus and was cruelly donated to a charitable organization.

Overall pleased with performance of bike on trails found here in ventura county ca.with the exception of decending tight switchbacks.The long wheelbase and huge wheels can lead to missing the turn and plunging down a cactus encrusted cliff.

nowaysj   Weekend Warrior [Sep 03, 2013]
Strength:

Low price, with good brakes and a better fork.

The Suntour XCR is plush, don't listen to the haters. It is not an $800 fork, or a $350 fork for that matter, but it is surprisingly plush and controllable, even for a big boy.

Drive Train - Really low level stuff, Acera front and rear derailleur. They will grind. They will get the job done, but they will complain.

This is an entry level bike, there is no doubt about it, but I don't think you're going to find a better value at this price point.

I've been looking for an entry level bike, and feel like I've looked at everything out there. I will say that there are other bikes at this price point and about $150 higher that do have a better overall component quality, and in particular drive train, but they have lower quality front suspension. In my analysis, I'd prefer a lower quality drive train, and a higher quality fork, none of the entry level bikes were set up in this manner. They were either equal across the board with like Shimano Alivio components and low end Suntour fork, or even higher end drive train, but still with a low end Suntour fork.

I'm a big guy, and not an experienced rider, so I feel that the Suntour XCR front suspension really helps me from going over the bars while rolling over the rough stuff, as I learn to manage my weight/center of gravity around the bike. This fork does eat rocks, roots, and logs like some starved mythical Greek creature, and it does it smoothly. It does not have adjustable rebound, but the rebound felt very good to me, was not springy, and absolutely no pogo stick effect. I am very happy with the Suntour XCR, and really is the reason I purchased this bike.

The derailleurs on this bike are low end, no denying that fact, they will complain if you shift under load, which I'm still learning to avoid, but when you're on a gnarly climb with increasing grades, pretty hard to shift while not under load. The rear Acera derailleur will grind noisily under load, but the upside is that if it breaks, you can upgrade to a more quality Deore level component. The shifters on this bike are awesome, easy to use, and feel quality. No troubles at all. A real step up from grip shifters.

The Shimano hydraulic brakes are very impressive so far. I was on some downhills today that were long, steep and gravely, i.e. well beyond my comfort level, and I never felt that the breaks couldn't handle it. The front 180mm rotor is powerful, and WILL manage your speed.

Bottom line, low level drive train, quality hydraulic breaks, and really plush front fork. The large size fits a big guy, doesn't complain when you bounce in the attack position, and overall feels good.

Maybe the magical economy fairy is going to come down and restore the western world to prosperity thus allowing the purchase of multithousand dollar bikes, but I don't see that happening in the coming century, so stop the analysis paralysis, pick up an Overdrive Sport and have some fun staying fit.

Life is too short to spend it being a bike nerd on the internet.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Ground Control
The Loop   Weekend Warrior [Jul 07, 2013]
Strength:

Good components for the money, looks like a nice bike (to people who aren't really into mountain bikes). Frame seems solid. Brakes are great, decent controls.

Budget front suspension. Like a pogo stick, but what do you expect at this price point?

I really love the looks of this bike (the components on mine are slightly different than listed because mine is the white one they only sell at Performance) My friends who don't ride think it's a very expensive bike (compared to the normal big box ones they ride) The suspension is pretty bad, but Suntour has a trade up program that makes upgrading to an air shock pretty inexpensive which I will take advantage of after this season. I wouldn't jump it as it sits right now, but its great for heading up a moderate trail at a moderate speed which lets be honest, is what most people who will buy this bike would be doing with it. I don't know a ton about high end hardtails but the components on the bike seem pretty capable for this price range, but most people in the know will look down on you just because it has the "D word" on the side. I think the bike is a great introduction to the sport and after a suspension upgrade would be more capable than I am going to ask it to do.

If I had it all to do over again I would probably just drop 200$ more on something with a better front suspension and a more reputable name (Specialized, Trek, Giant) but after I upgrade I will be in the same spot as far as cash outlay. Alot of the threads on this forum make you feel like you cant do anything but ride around in a circle in a parking lot with anything but a top tier bike but really the most important thing is to get something that gets you on the trail, and this bike has accomplished that for me so I love it. All I can suggest if you want this or a similarly priced bike is to buy it at a bike shop so you know it is put together correctly and you take take it in for free adjustments (I had to adjust the front derailleur once already)

Similar Products Used: GT's of similar price points.
Paul   [Apr 03, 2013]
Strength:

Component group
Great Fork

Wheel set

This review is for the 2013 overdrive Pro
I was able to get a good deal on this bike at around $1200. There was nothing else remotely close at this price point. I was a little concerned about its weight prior to ordering. After assembly it weighed in at 30.5 lbs with my eggbeater pedals. Knowing that the wheelset was pretty much crap i switched that out immediately to a sun ringle black flag comp wheelset with an XT cassette and discs running tubeless 2.2 continental xking. Huge difference. Bike weighs in at 27.5 now.

Brian Borrego   All Mountain Rider [Apr 02, 2013]
Strength:

This bike is great for the price. It climbs well and will pretty much roll over anything on the trail. It's quick and grips the trail on those fast turns. I took a gamble purchasing this bike because I have only heard bad things about Diamondbacks but I must say, I am very pleased with this bike. I have been riding trails for about 3 years and I am finally comfortable and confident. This bike has boosted my time and performance. You can waste your money on one of those big fancy Specialized bikes or save a grand and buy the Overdrive Comp and make a few minor upgrades.

pedals and headset
Handlebars are so wide, you will clip almost every tree on a narrow trail. I changed them after the first ride. The breaks can be a bit noisy.

Overall this bike is a beast. I would recommend it to any level rider.

Ride On.