Castellano Silk Custom Ti 29er 29er Hardtail

Silk Custom Ti 29er

These bikes are built to order. It's a pivotless softtail suspension bike.

kevin   Weekend Warrior [Jan 13, 2010]
Strength:

custom build,so light perfect fit,very very sharp handling,

none so far

most surprising thing is that this bike genuinely feels like it has about 3 or more inches of travel,I really wasnt expecting that,and I ride in the company of full sus bikes ,hills that the bon tempe will take in the little ring ,this will do in a single middle ring,and i dont feel like i need lower gears,must be the weight or the geometry,or something else,people will always try to justify apurchase like this and find no wrong with their expensive new toy but this thing really makes you question whether you need full sus for anything,if you get a chance try one,they really are quite astonishing

Similar Products Used: countless hardtails,and full sus bikes,also own a bon tempe
bigdrunk   Cross Country Rider [Dec 04, 2009]
Strength:

Not a full suspension
Not a hardtail
It floats!

Not a full suspension
Begs for expensive Ti parts
Spendy, but so are Rolex's and Ferrari's

Keeping it brief, softails are not for everybody. If you want something the climbs with the efficiency of a hartail (with zero bobbing BTW) but feels like a 3" travel, single pivot 26" going down you will love this bike.

I always wanted a Ibis Silk Ti but 1) Could not afford one and at the time 2) The largest size was not large enough. When I heard John was making 29ers, I started saving...............

The bike is a pleasure to ride and does everything very well. To me, this frame is like a hardtail with great benefits. John absolutely nailed the geometry. All worries of the high entry fee were gone when I took it out of the box, to then feeling like a bargain when I rode it for the first time. Worksmanship is top notch, simply beautiful.

I will spare everybody the "climbs like a goat" and "decends like a monkey with Ben Gay on its sphincter" type of review. If you are seriously looking at a softail, this one IS it. Over the course of two years, I came damn close to buying used YBB's off eBay. Glad I spent the extra dough and got what I wanted.

Last thing, this bike has seemingly ended a vicious, but fun cycle of buying and selling FS frames every year.

Similar Products Used: None. Never ridden a softail before this
matthew mckibben   Cross Country Rider [May 24, 2008]
Strength:

NOTE this is a 26 Silk Ti review
custom fit, (first bike that really fit my short leg long torso body, he blended the tube set from two frames, 18" top tube and 15" seat tube. put 260 miles in two weeks in Marin on my vacation (picked it up at his house, we put it together and rode at Annondale for first ride) no creaks, supple but not energy robbing, laterally very stiff, even stiffer than my lightspeed hard tail. Floats like my Spider, and rails and turns like my lightspeed or the merlin before that.

price, but what do you expect for a life time bike, that truly fits and has no pivots to wear out.

If you can sell something to pay for it and can stand to wait for the build time, DO IT!!!! IT IS WORTH IT, After almost 300 miles of the best of Marin while sleeping on a camping pad at night on the floor of a pals house, my back was still good to go. I did almost all the best trails of Tam and west Marin, railed them all, felt like I was flying the whole time. I without going crazy with the build (build it to last, not just for lightness) and got the weight to 25 lbs, really with a scale, digital! A couple of times I thought I would pinch flat for shure, but the simple small travel rear suspension did the job, no flats. That was averaging about 10 mph, in Marin that IS really moving in the corse of a 50 mile ride, four mountains, one twice.
GO FOR IT! Trust me! If your going to do the miles with it she's worth it.
Make shure if you do go for it, get a pro body fit/measurement before you order, talk about what you are looking for with John and trust his advice. matt

Similar Products Used: I've ridden them all, from vvp, to Idrive, to ti hard tails, single pivot, to epic with the brain, nothing can match for what it does.