Carver Bikes 96er Ti 29er Hardtail

• 29"/26" Wheel Size

[Jun 05, 2012]
jcs
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

I love my Carver Ti 96er! I worked with the staff at Bikeman / Carver to design the perfect custom Ti frame and then had it back and built within 2 months. I am a bigger rider so we increased the thickness of the down tube and chain stays. The bike is comfortable and has made it through 2 Vermont 50 rides so far. I like being able to roll over anything up front and also having a smaller wheel in the back that is strong and light. The geometry hits the sweet spot for me and it climbs nicely without sacrificing downhill stability. The build kit from Bikeman was very reasonable and they seemed happy to make changes for me where I wanted different parts. This past winter after discovering Fat Bikes I swapped the Reba 29er front fork and stock wheel for a Salsa Enabler and a Fat Bike front wheel has the same diameter as a 29er Mt wheel. I love this combination matched with a DH rim and 2.5 tire in the rear. Great for NE technical trails and the bike I am riding in the next VT 50.

If you want a custom Ti bike this is a great way to go. These guys are great to work with and they will design a frame that is perfect for you. Want rack bosses, different tube thickness, relaxed geometry - all no problem. They usually have bikes in Bath that you can ride.

[Oct 28, 2008]
richdirector

Strength:

Roll over - effortless down techy singletrack - rolls great. This is tagged up to rohloff rear hub and so far seems perfect setup. Have singlespeed for rear but not used on this bike yet.

none so far

This could be the best bike I have ever owned. I loved my Klein but so stiff felt like I could p*ss blood after 50 miles. Loved the GT xizang with the rohloff but better as singlespeed and still over the bars on mega techy descents. Now being sold.
Geometry on this just feels right but almost a no cost option to get custom spec. Service from uk rep was very good - rockstar racing .....
The larger front wheel makes descending easy even with only 80mm travel - last week on 7 stanes could easily keep up with a SC Blur that was hammering though the trail and it was my first outing on the course. Seems to have all the descent benefits of a dual bike down the hills .... but lovely uphlll as well.
Weight not the lightest must be 26lbs-27lbs ..... sliding dropouts keep the lines all clean and sexy looking. Must be one of the cheapest ti bikes out there.

Nothing similar - but bikes over the ages Klein Attitude 99 and 2002 trek 8500 2001, GT xizang with rohloff

[Mar 26, 2008]
Michael Swanson

Strength:

Davis Carver answered all of my questions to my satisfaction. I took the off-the-shelf spec. 29" titanium frame with a derailleur hanger for geared application. The welds by Dave were excellent high-quality welds, excellent gusseting at the headtube, be sure to blow out all of the material in the frame before assembly or applying any anti-seize to the bottom bracket, headtube, or seatube areas!!! Many options like custom geometry are available...some at NO extra costs!!! The size 19" frame fits me like a glove...excellent geometry for my particular application...first-class service all of the way! I wish I could have waited the estimated (4 weeks) for some of the custom options.

I didn't particularly like the decals with the "Carver" logo. I'm in the process of having a custom headtube badge made for the bike frame now...It deserves to have a better head logo.

This bike rocks! I'm 47 and this bike will take me places that I haven't been in a LONG time. It's brought me many smiles thus far, and I'm still grinning big time!

I am new to the 29er world, so I only had a Haro Mary XC before this bike. I have ridden many versions of 26ers though...and have had a couple of custom ti frames before this one. I don't even consider any of them in the same class as the Carver 29er. I will be on this frame for a long time!