Cannondale Flash 29er 3 29er Hardtail

• Spokes: DT Swiss Champion
  • Tires: Kenda Small Block Eight, 29 x 2.1" Wire
  • Handlebars: Cannondale C3, 680mm, 20mm, 31.8mm

mattscarymonster   Weekend Warrior [Apr 12, 2013]
Strength:

Climbs great. Fast. Vs my old Kona I feel like I can push myself in this bike harder and improve my skill. I rode it once only since I got it a week ago and ended up at Skytop quarry, which has some pretty difficult stuff. Lots of fun. Went from the slow guy in the group to somewhere above average. LIke I feel like my gas tank and skill is the only thing that is limiting my performance, and the bike can handle more. So that's encouraging. I like it. Plus it looks cool. Back end seems to absord vibration and small bumps well.

Usual factory stuff: tortoresome saddle, cheap grips. Still dialing in the fork but it performs nicely. Well see how the Bob tires work. I ride fairly hard but I take care of my rig so we'll see about durability.

It's a 2012 set up with a recon fork. Other than swapping over my saddle it's still stock. x7/x9.
I got a pretty good deal on it since it was LY's stock, so maybe 4.5/5 chilis for value.

Hoping to get out this weekend too, but ride 1 was so positive I can't imagine my review going backwards.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Trail SL, Kona Cinder Cone, Giant XTC
JOSE RAUL LOPEZ   [May 18, 2012]
Strength:

On climbing tracks it is just great. The 29er wheels have great traction so that you do need to worry so much about your path because the bike, like a tank, will go over everything.
For the same reason (the 29er wheels), going on lose ground works as good on this bike. No loss of traction. All you need to do is keep pedaling.
Because of the long span of the handle bars, the handling is great. It will go over any obstacle
It is light and fast also on downhill, because of its reduced weight
Finally, since it is a lefty, it is so easy to change a tire in the front wheel on the spot.

I borrowed this bike from a friend, so it is a bit larger than my size. When I hop on the bike, I need to be on leveled terrain to get started.

I never thought I would like a hardtail this much after using a full suspension for eight years. The word that comes to me is stability and speed in every type of terrain

Craig   Weekend Warrior [Jul 25, 2011]
Strength:

Light, light, light.

Stock (house brand) wheels, aluminum seat post, aluminum bars

Just bought this bike because I was tired of my lower end full suspension Haro. It weighed as much as a mini cooper. I had a Cannondale 15 years ago, that my Son now rides to school, and it never had any problems. So I went back to the brand. Good decision. It is so light that it is dangerous to me. And that is a good thing. The geometry is great, you sit lower to the ground, than you would expect, but still have plenty of clearance. The lefty fork is outstanding compared to my recent use of the Tora. Other riders with me who rode Specialized, GT, S-Works, Moots, were all very impressed by the weight factor. This bike is perfect for the relatively flat trails we have here in Houston. I will change the seat post, and bars to carbon soon. The frame is carbon so they really should have added some other carbon components to this bike, but I guess they had to keep costs down.

Similar Products Used: First 29er
Morals   Cross Country Rider [May 16, 2011]
Strength:

Relatively Light (except for the stock wheels), Nice finish and graphics, Great Fork

Stock Wheels

I bought this for a beater bike, but the wheels made me want to scream. I put some Stans ZTR ARCH 29ers on it tubeless and I have been much happier since.

Otherwise, I love this bike. It handles like a DREAM and is almost like riding a rigid fork in the turns and dips. My Orbea Alma 29er with Reba fork feels like a wet noodle up front compared to this thing. It's aluminum, which concerned me in a hardtail, but it seems pretty compliant for the trails around here. I might consider a carbon seatpost, but that would be it.

My $1800 price reflects the wheel upgrade. I paid $1500 on ebay for the Flash 3 Lefty bone stock. It was ok stock, but after riding C29ssmax wheels, I couldn't deal with the ones that came on this rig. By adding the Stan's wheels, I went from feeling like I was riding in syrup to flying along the trail.

Similar Products Used: n/a
Dude   Weekend Warrior [Dec 01, 2010]
Strength:

Size, geometry

Brakes, saddle, maybe the fork

Only got to ride this a few times before surgery sidelined me for a few months, but I have been very happy with the purchase. The frame is light but sturdy, which is important since I ride an XL. Very happy that I went with the 29er hardtail, not problem at all climbing or descending. Only weaknesses after a few rides is the brakes (rear squeals under heavy braking), and the saddle (not a big deal). Need to work on setting up the fork better, can't wait to heal and ride again.

Similar Products Used: Tested GT and Giant 29ers.
jeff2slash   Weekend Warrior [Oct 28, 2010]
Strength:

It's a CANNONDALE, Light weight, nimble, strong frame, the Lefty. Very quick, climbs great.

none so far.

I'm very happy with my F3 29, would recomend one to anyone! Very quick, nimble, comfortable bike! Great brakes, very smooth shifting, Lefty works Vert Very well! Can't wait to ride all the trails in Mi.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale F7, Cannondale Carbon Synapse 6.
jeff2slash   Weekend Warrior [Oct 28, 2010]

none so far.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale F7, Cannondale Carbon Synapse 6.
kfrosty   Weekend Warrior [Jun 16, 2010]
Strength:

My first 29'er and have to say it performed better than expected. It's extremely fast on flat and downhill and climbs better than I was expecting.

Would expect a little better components in this price range but other than that, I'm happy so far.

Great bike but again there are better packages out there for the money. Specialized SJ Comp 29 to name one and even the GF Paragon.

However, I do like the Lefty and Cannondales so I'm happy with the purchase.

Similar Products Used: Other bike is a Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe. Just not found of the full suspension bikes for climbing.