Brodie Khan 29er Hardtail

• Pedals: Shimano M505 SPD

[Apr 09, 2012]
Rico
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Amazing climber, decent build kit, corners very well. Looks fantastic!

IMO Hayes brakes are garbage compared to my Avid Elixer CRs or Elixer 5s. The Manitou fork is not plush enough for my liking and lacks adjustability I crave. The tires are useless on the North Shore in winter/wet.

Although I've tested a couple other 29'rs before getting the Khan, I'm pretty new to the 29r koolaid. However, I am a convert to the big hoops thanks to the time spent on the Khan.

I've been riding DH/freeride bikes for the past 12 years and most recently an SX Trail for the past couple seasons so I'm not an XC guy (although I usually earn my turns). I picked up the Khan on a whim as a winter conditioning bike and have had a blast all season (2-3 rides/week). I've logged some serious miles with this bike on the Shore and Galbraith Mtn and it's held up to my less than graceful riding style with no problems.

The geometry is set up to be pretty nimble on descents and fairly well balanced on climbs. Steep pitches are a problem but I don't think that's the bike's fault. It rails the descents on the north shore and feels at home on the ground, in steeps, tight corners, on skinnies and even with a little air time.

The build kit is pretty good except for the weaknesses listed. My dislike for the fork comes from the fact that I'm use to DH forks that are plush so the Manitou Tower is very unforgiving (it feels like other XC forks I've used on the other 29rs tested). I absolutely hate the brakes! They feel terrible and don't fit the SLX shifters if you run them on the inside. Switching to Avid Elixers made all the difference. The Shimano drivetrain is flawless and shifts as well today as it did when new. The wheels have remained tru despite some pretty severe abuse.

Despite the few component dislikes, I highly recommend this bike for someone who is looking for a hard tail 29r. With a couple mods, it's a fantastic all mountain hardtail!