YT Industries Capra 29er Full Suspension

• Capra AL Comp
  • Capra AL

[Apr 24, 2018]
butthead

Strength:

This review is for the Capra CF Pro Race. This bike is equipped amazingly for the price. Most long travel 29ers with the same parts spec will cost at least $2000 more. There are a few missteps in my opinion, but I'll get into that below. For now lets get into how it rides. Climbing: The most recent bike I have for comparison is my Banshee Prime, which climbs great. While seated, the Capra climbs at least as well as the Prime. I've been able to make it up some rocky climbs with no problems. Climbing out of the saddle is not quite as efficient, but I think that would be the case with any 170mm bike. For flat sections, I would describe the bike the same way. Seated pedaling is great, out of the saddle there is a little bit of suspension motion. Descending: This is the reason to buy this bike. I've heard people talk about their trail bike descending like a downhill bike and thought to myself "you've never really been on a downhill bike, have you?" Well, now I'm a believer. This is the best descending bike I've been on short of a full downhill race bike. It does not feel like a typical 29er when it's pointed downhill. It is very lively and maneuverable while still plush enough to soak up the bumps. The Capra is also rated to accept a dual crown fork, which could truly make it a quiver killer. Instead of having a separate downhill bike, you could swap out the fork and possibly the wheels for park days. As long as you aren't planning on racing competitively, it should be able to handle nearly any trail. It's a nice touch that YT includes a basic torque wrench, shock pump, and 8mm hex head wrench for assembly. I've only had the bike for a few weeks, so it's possible that I'm still in the honeymoon phase of ownership. As of right now, I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

Much of the weaknesses are going to be nit picking, but I think a few of these are legit gripes: - Rear Shock - The Float X2 is an amazing, very adjustable shock. However, it has a max pressure of 250 psi. Combine that with the progressive linkage and it is not possible to set the correct amount of sag for us bigger guys. I'm currently pushing 300 lbs. and may or may not have overshot that pressure by 10%. The best I could get was roughly 40% sag. I switched to a Fox DPX2 and am now at slightly over 30% at its max pressure. If you weigh anywhere over 220-230 lbs. (rough guess), be aware of this. Contact Points - I found the saddle to be really uncomfortable. Your mileage may vary. YT's website shows the bike pictured with Race Face pedals, but no pedals are included. To be fair, there are no pedals listed in the parts spec, but I feel the pictures are a bit misleading. Tools - None of the tools that would have come with the E Thirteen components on the bike are included. If you ever want to remove the chainring or cassette you will need to shell out another $17. It's not a huge amount of money, but at over $5000, it should have been included. Tires - They're a bit heavy. Not necessarily a true weakness, but it's worth mentioning. They do grip well in the turns. Aside from what I mentioned above, the rest of the bike is spot on in my opinion.

Price Paid: