Yeti Cycles SB-95 29er Full Suspension

Yeti Cycles SB-95 29er Full Suspension

Built as the big brother to the SB66, the SB95 is Yeti first offering in to the full suspension 29 category and let me tell you, it was WELL worth the wait. The SB95 exceeded all expectations. From its ability to concur the steepest and most technical climbs, to its nimble and sharp handling on the descents, the SB95 will not let you down.

[Nov 10, 2014]
Pink10

Strength:

A very well sorted ride
Looks great
Its a Yeti

if its like the 575, it wont need upgrading for years

Im a weekend warrior, 49, 80 odd kg, 5’9 and been riding a Yeti 575 06 for 7 years which was a blast.
Time came for a change, almost went down the Trance 27.5 route but when a 1 year old Sb95 came along I went for it . (just met a bloke who got a trance advanced and he a bit disappointed that he diff between his 26er and 29er is not very significant, other than clipping his pedals more)
Bike
2013 SB95 A
Pike 140
Stans Flow arch with Hope evo 2, maxis ardent 2.4 and 2.25- tubeless
XT drive train converted to 1 x10 with E thirteen 42 Ex Cog and 32 Race ace narrow wide front ring
Carbon bars
Reverb dropper
XT brakes
Ive gotta say Im loving the black beast, coming out of a slovenly winter Im already smashing my Strava times set when in my best form last summer, up, down, techy, rooty, steep, berms everything seems to be faster.
So fast crashed on 2nd ride as entered a corner to hot and wasn’t used to steering the 29 wheels.
The 95 felt just right, similar to the 575, steering dosnt seem much different just needs more body input i find, which is quite natural after a few rides.
The tricky rooty techy type descents are way easier as the pike is stiff and the wheels don’t get caught up , just roll on thru like the hype says.
Downhill is blast , blows thru everything and seems to guide you to hit pop offs etc, stable in the air.
Climbing is pretty good, gravel bashes are bob free and trail a traction feast, the motor is the downfall!
I mucked around with the settings on the pike and Fox rear now just leave both full open for the full ride.
A well sorted bike for trail riding.

06 Yeti 575
Fox Vanilla 130
XT

[Mar 09, 2014]
Ian

Strength:

It's feels lighter than it looks. Pedals really smooth. Climbs like a monkey on crack.

None that I could find so far.

This bike is an absolute blast to ride. Corners very well and climbs great. Theres sections of trails near my house that I couldnt get all the way to the top with my previous bike but with the Yeti I did. The bike looks like a friggin stealth bomber in flat black. I don't fully understand how Switch technology works but I know that I like it A LOT. If you think that you're not that good of a rider to get such an expensive bike then you are missing out on a great bike that will make you a better rider.

Santa Cruz Superlight

[Feb 03, 2014]
ben davis

Strength:

plush, descent drivetrain spec for price (x9 stuff), seems like just the right amount of slack head angle, nifty active suspension design. Love the color schemes.

Man am I sick of elixir brakes. I have a conspiracy that the CTD levers arent actually hooked up to any valves and are just there for placebo. my Yeti makes this haunting yeti howl in my basement when I don't ride it for a few weeks.

Iv'e wanted a Yeti for about 20 years, and know I have one! For a middle aged dude that cant really afford to hurt himself to badly, this bike offers just the plush ripping I needed. I whish it had been offered in a Deore/SLX grade.

[Jan 27, 2014]
Aaron
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

This bike has a roll-over-anything monster truck feel without also feeling to big or cumbersome. The SB95 definitely inspires confidence on the trail. It's agile, fast, descends really well just about everything: flow tracks, through rock gardens, drops and gnar. And it climbs extremely well too - I have been able to clean the same technical sections that gave me much more trouble on my 29er hard tail. The rear suspension on this frame is amazing - smooth and responsive. It hasn't even been that jarring when I've occasionally bottomed it out on big drops. I've taken my to bike parks a number of times and it handles jump lines and tabletops fairly well for a bike with such big wheels.

I wouldn't mind if the chainstays were a bit shorter, and the frame was a little lighter (not that it's really what I'd call heavy.) And I'm 5'7" riding a small and sometimes the bike does feel a bit big, especially in the air, where it can drift a bit at times, and in really tight switchbacks. Though that could easily be my lack of finesse.

This is a great bike - the best I've ever owned or ridden. I've taken mine on trails from Texas to Wisconsin to the southern rockies of New Mexico. I've even raced it in an enduro stage race and it handled everything the trail could throw at it - which was a lot.

Mine is a custom build, so I can't comment on the overall component package of the stock bike. But I did switch to the 142x12 rear dropout (comes with the frame), which helped stiffen things up a bit.

As I said earlier I'm 5'7", about 145 lbs in riding gear and I ride a small. Tires on the ground this bike feels like it can roll over just about anything, it seems. It's stable and confidence-inspiring. I find myself ripping down trails on my Yeti, and have blasted through some pretty rough sections during races. I have a short stem and wide bars which helps with control, and 34-22T chainrings up front which helps with the climbs. And this bike can climb.

Once the bike leaves the ground, however, it feels like it can drift a bit - which could be a combination of the longer wheelbase, the big spinning tires and my own jumping skills, which could be better. On drops it feels stable and the suspension is super-smooth.

I also have Stan's Arch wheels on my SB95, which for trail riding feel a little thin. I'll be upgrading to Flows this spring, which should only improve the bike's performance in rough conditions. And this bike could really benefit from a dropper post, which I'll also be adding in a few weeks as well.

If you're looking for a do-anything 29er, this is a great bike.

[Nov 15, 2013]
T S

Strength:

Coming from off road motorcycle background, handling and riding position very comfortable

Not a fault of the bike but affordable build I bought is a big heavy at 31 pounds, 9 ounces with pedals

Since purchase I have demo'd Pivot, Trek, Rocky Mountain and Santa Cruz along with my wife's Cannondale High end Scapel and I have yet to ride a bike that feels as good as the Yeti. Everything I ride is judged against the Yeti. My problem now is do I go for the carbon or slowly make the upgrades to my current 2013 model year frame to lighten it up With high end wheels and possibly a sram xx1. Still researching if the carbon rear trio angle from the current model that saves 1 pound will fit and what cost will be.

[Aug 08, 2013]
3xv

Strength:

Fit, drivetrain efficiency, OEM spec parts, looks

Price

The SB95 was a gift by my wife for father's day to replace a 2007 Spec S-works enduro SL with all the bells and whistles I wanted on that bike.

The moment I sat on the Yeti for a test ride, I immediately felt at home with the controls and the way the bike behaved under me.

I've set-up the suspension based on the trails that I will be predominantly riding in the greater Houston area. Handling is similar to the Specialized I had albeit with a little bit of front-end push which I can compensate with leaning through the corners a bit more.

The Yeti drivetrain with the switch suspension feels more efficient (to me) compared to my old bike and I register a faster average speed through the same trails around town.

Only gripe I have with the bike as previously posted by other reviewers is the bottle cage location, but other than that, the bike is perfect for my needs and riding style.

[Aug 01, 2013]
Adrian
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Big wheels, good handling (for a 29er, with slack head angle and short chainstays), ability to eat large chunks of trail and spit them out behind you, technical descending, feels right for a big guy like me.

Pretty cool looking (mine is Yeti Turqoise).

Switch suspension works great.

Spec: my bike came with mismatched XT brake levers (part numbers don't match). This became an issue when I wanted to install the Shimano I-spec (matchmaker) brake/shifter single clamp setup (which was an upgrade, come on Yeti, just include I-spec OEM); doesn't include dropper post OEM, which is obviously a must have.

Not a fault of the bike (but I want to rant a bit): the spec'd 10-speed XT cassette isn't a one-piece unit like the 9-speed version. It is multi-piece metal and has gouged the DT-Swiss aluminum freehub after only 20 hours of riding. Why does anyone make freehubs out of alumnium? This should be a steel-only part (I'll take the 30 gram or whatever) penalty. I don't want to pay $350 for a ten-speed XTR one-piece cassette. Please bike industry, use a little common sense here.

Water bottle cage placement is poor. Yeti, why didn't you fix the shock to the top tube instead of the down tube and leave room for a bottle cage in the right place?

I've ridden my Yeti for over two weeks now on my home trails in the Columbia Valley, B.C. as well as trips to Revelstoke, Golden, and Nelson, B.C. and it has shone in every application. This is a very capable bike when things get gnarly and steep -- much more so than a 5" or 'trail' 26 -- both uphill and down. I'd say it can stay with a 6" or even 7" 26er on technical descents -- and the wheels, of course, carry momentum better than a 26. I've got the 140mm Fox Float on mine.

It is extremely stable at speed and feels like a Norco Team DH I used to have in this regard. Mine is an XL, which fits me at 6'3" just fine. It's hard to believe a bike this big is so fast.

It is 32 pounds so it's definitely a light heavyweight. I was a bit disappointed when I saw it on the scale for the first time, but truthfully the thing climbs really well. It hides that weight very, very well.

People complain about the DT-Swiss XR400 rims, and I was skeptical of them initially, but they've been great. No complaints here to this point.

My first 29er, this thing has a better pedaling platform than the Giant Reign I came off of, but it does use all of it's travel. I typically leave the CTD in descend mode all the time on the trail, the only time I use the climb mode is on long fire road climbs. I do like a little squish for extra traction on trail though.

I am still getting used to riding a slack geometry 29er. You do have to corner differently because of the taller front end. Push more of your weight over the front wheel -- or you risk front tire washout (probably should have probably been doing on my old bike as well). A friend of mine who is an excellent rider says you need to "man up" when riding a 29er. I agree that cornering with authority takes a little more commitment than on a 26er, but like I said, more forward weight is a good habit to develop.

Bike wheelies well, thank you short chainstays.

The big wheels and big bike make popping off of things a little different than a 26. You can still do it just fine, but you have to size things up a little earlier and can't do the poppy stuff as last minute as you can on a 26. Again, the man up thing. You can, however, launch this bike off of anything and I can comfortably bunny hop logs, rocks, etc. on the trail that are larger than I felt comfortable on my 26.

This is a very good bike and I am happy to be on it.

[May 04, 2013]
Nick

Strength:

Handling, size/fit, quality, climbing, descending

Best bike I've ever had. I spent 4 years on Niner RIP9's and took one demo ride on a SB95, and then ordered one. I'm 5'7" and I got a medium, and I came off a small RIP9 (roughly the same top tube length). The Yeti fits me a lot better. The bars are lower relative to the pedals. I don't need a negative rise stem (run a 0degree) to get the bars low enough! The slack headtube is the killer feature though! It makes the handling so good. I'm in Norcal and ride up in Tahoe regularly. I love the downhill biased slack angles. Riding this bike instantly made me faster and more confident. I am comfortable doing things that I was nervous about on my RIP9. The rear suspension uses all the travel, all of the time, but I never feel the bottom. It just feels smooth and awesome all the time. I don't notice a bob on climbs, but I like the Fox CTD rear shock. The Climb setting keeps the rear suspension more extended during climbing, keeping the bike better balanced.

I custom built mine, so I can't comment on the stock build kits. It begs for a dropper seat post though. I'm running Sram XX1 with the 28t ring. So I can climb great. I get into the high gear now and then but if I'm rolling downhill, I don't generally feel the need to pedal.

Niner RIP9

[Nov 30, 2012]
Varaxis

Strength:

Amazing traction
Confidence inspiring
Pedals very well
Great fit
Beautiful

Water bottle location
Tire rub

I was riding my Superfly 100 a bit harder than it could handle and wanted a step up. I demo'd a few other contenders, but the Yeti stood out as being the only that felt like a worthy upgrade over my SF100 for the trails I ride and my riding style. It made everything I wanted to do, easier, allowing me to take my riding to a whole new level. I wanted to travel more I was riding confidently and fast, on trails new to me. The only things that I got tripped up on, is when I found myself in the wrong gear, but fortunately, the SB95's suspension is so well designed that it doesn't care how you pedal. The new Shimano XT doesn't cry if you're a bit late with the shifting either.

The fit and ride feel are hard to describe. I'm 5'7" and could've chose either the Sm or the Med, but chose the Small primarily because I like low handlebars. The 3.7" HT and inset/zerostack headset combined to get my handlebars where I like it, without needing a crazy neg rise stem or flat (or neg rise) bars, and helped create a perfect feeling front end. The ride feel is not plush, yet not firm, and not overly stiff, but stiff enough to give great confidence. It feels great at speed and yet likes to climb. The traction is just amazing. Give this thing faster low profile tires and braking control might feel a bit lower, but let off the brakes and it still has more than enough traction and control. I feel like I can push it so much more than any 5" bike has a right to be pushed.

The only thing negative I have to say is the tire buzzing sounds when I hit particularly hard bumps. The front can buzz the water bottle if you have one, and the rear can buzz the back of the seatpost if you run a big tire.

At under 150 lbs in riding gear, even I could feel the DT wheels flexing a bit when sideloaded, which wasn't a bad thing for me, as I think it gave me a bit more traction in the turns, but I can see how heavier riders would not like them. The hubs are great though and worth keeping, with an appropriate rim upgrade for a rider's weight and riding style.

Newer bikes have already came out that have caught my eye, but I don't regret my purchase at all. I would've maybe considered the Intense Spider 29 Comp and the Cube Super Stereo HPC, if I had the money... among alloy frames in this class, I firmly believe that this is the best choice.

Turner Sultan, Tallboy LT, Spider 29, RIP9, WFO9

[Oct 08, 2012]
wfo922

Strength:

The xt build is a great value, wide bars, 34 mm fork, large frame tubes this bike kills it on the rough stuff.

The wheels are a little under built for what the rest of the bike can handle.

I'm 6'2" weigh 200 lbs and I chose a xl frame size. I test rode a pivot 429, santa cruz tallboy and when I hopped on the yeti, instantly I knew it was the one. The bike is so natural to ride it makes you want to attack the trail. From railing a corner to dropping a gnarly rocky root infested chute, the bike just begs you to push the limits. It's a sweet ride.