Ventana El Rey 29er Full Suspension

Ventana El Rey 29er: "The King" It?s time to pay homage to the king of the mountain. Forget the polka-dot jersey?El Rey, Ventana?s 29? dual diamond, double butted suspension frame, rules the off-road, giving riders sovereign power over their kingdom of rock and soil.

K Lantz   Cross Country Rider [Nov 03, 2016]
Strength:

Great frame geometry and build quality are great. Stock sizes for tall cyclists.

Large aluminum frame is a bit heavy but not a big deal. There are no dealers in my area so it was a challenge special ordering and building with my local bike shop.

I am 6'7" and weigh 215 pounds so it is difficult to find a bike that fits. I was upgrading from an old hard tail that I have had for years. Living in Ohio a full suspension isn't a necessity but as I get older I wanted something I could ride comfortably for years. I was measure by the bike shop and it was determined I needed a 23" which is one size down from the largest stock frame so these bikes really fit if you are tall. I do more road riding but this bike has made me a better mountain biker and the 29er wheels roll over anything. A recent study says that 29ers are faster and it is only limited by by tentativeness.

Marco   All Mountain Rider [Oct 17, 2012]
Strength:

Geometry
Material selection
Welds
Paint
Color options
Design
Features
Customer service

Weight, but rotating weight counts
Stickers, but who cares

I now own the 2012 model, after riding the 2007 rey during 3 years.
It remains an outstanding bike.
Geometry: quite trailisch with 70° head angle, nice in the rough stuff
Material: nice aluminum tubes, upper tube hydroformed stiff lot of space for the rider
Welds: beautiful work, great quality
Paint: see Welds
Color options: 2 custom color levels, there is one for every taste
Features: I own this bike since Sept 2011 and it had tapered headtube and a 142x12mm rear axle already. Innovation was definitely quicker than industrial production.
Customen service: both technical and custoomer services are outstanding. Thanks to Sherwood and Teresa for their commitment! Long live ventana!

Similar Products Used: Ventana El Rey 2007
fugazzi   Weekend Warrior [Jan 20, 2012]
Strength:

The geometry for a 29er is amazing being able to carve hard in corners as if your on a dh bike it makes you forget that you have 29 inch wheels on it. The frame is really light and the welds are the best that I have seen on a bike yet true craftsmanship. The paint is super sexy I have the cosmic orange which on shiny days sparkles when the mud and dirt are off the bike. The bike has gussets reassures the strength and stiffness combined with the geometry it inspires confidence for any AM riding you want to throw at it and high speeds

I dont really like the small seat post diameter as dropper posts are limited in this size but that is a small drawback as more and more droppers are coming in this size.

If you want a bike that is built for all day long epic rides and is versatile (XC to AM), light, stiff, easy to maintain, looks great and is made with quality craftmanship look no further this is truly it!

Similar Products Used: Reign, MKIII, SX, Trance
Earthpig   Cross Country Rider [Sep 06, 2011]
Strength:

Burly, well built, RP23 Boost Valve shock

Too burly (see above), looooooooooong wheelbase

This bike does pretty much everything well, but does nothing outstanding. Having ridden hardtail 29'ers for the last 5 years, I wanted to try a full suspension 29'er. I found the El Rey very slightly used for pretty cheap on the classifieds. I have it built up more XC-ish in an attempt to account for the extremely heavy frame/shock weight (nearly 8 lbs!!) Having owned a Ventana X-5 for several years, I can say that the El Rey, while far heavier, climbs better, but that's due to the RP23 shock with the Boost Valve, where my X-5 just had a straight Float R. Downhill, it does well on non-technical fast, swoopy trails, and definitely calms the chatter on rough, bumpy sections, but is out of its element when the going gets tight or steep. At this weight (29 or so lbs), 4 inches of travel isn't enough, and the geometry is way too steep to really enjoy the downhills. This is pretty much an overweight XC frame. Knock a pound and a half off the frame, or give it another inch of travel and it would be perfect. But, as is, well, like I said - it does everything adequately, but nothing outstandingly.

Similar Products Used: 1st full suspension 29'er, but have ridden lots and lots of hardtail 29'ers
peakent   Cross Country Rider [Mar 09, 2011]
Strength:

Rock solid frame

Handling on the tight/twisty stuff

Looked around for several months for a XXL/23" frame for a custom build. Settled on the ElRey and have never looked back. Solid in so many aspects. Inspires so much confidence in how I ride. Continually amazes me at what it will plow through/over. Like most 29ers, you wrestle the size of the wheels and bike in slow, twisty maneuvers. If you're looking for a solid clydsdale frame, check out the ElRey.

Similar Products Used: Fisher Xcal, Stumpy FSR
alangreenbaum   Cross Country Rider [Jun 13, 2010]
Strength:

Made in USA, really nice welds and paint

Very well made and comfortable. Eye candy. All day comfort. Handles light downhill, forest service roads and single track nicely. Nicely balanced. Flickable for a big machine.

torio   Racer [Jun 11, 2010]
Strength:

Lateral Stiffness
All around geometry

A bit heavy
Stickers are of horrible quality, but who cares

Very nice and funny Bike.
Wide range from XC to All mountain riding.
A little tricky to set up the correct air pressure in the suspensions, but then it's a nice concert!
I love this bike.

Similar Products Used: no other 29er
schmidt911   Cross Country Rider [Nov 15, 2009]
Strength:

I have owned this bike for 16 months and ride it 2-3 times a week. I have been riding and racing mountain bikes for over 14 years and I can say that the El Rey is the best all around bike I have ever owned. Normally when something is good at everything it isn't great at anything. But in the case of this bike this doesn't apply. This bike is super fun to ride, stable, can handle decent downhill duties and climbs as a XC bike should. It can be pushed in turns and is rock solid at speed. The bottom line is that it is a really fun bike to ride in a wide variety of terrains. One last thing, the quality of the construction and finish is as nice as you read from other reviews

None really. Stickers are useless, but head badge is nice. The paint although nice when new, faded or I should say lost it's luster, after a year.

Rock solid, can be pushed hard, Climbs well, can be raced when the terrain is tough and over 3 hours, and most importantly to me it is pure fun to throw the leg over this bike and put it through the paces.

If you are in the market for a FS 29er you absolutely cannot go wrong with this bike.

Similar Products Used: I have had a stable of every bike under the sun.
andig   Weekend Warrior [Sep 08, 2009]
Strength:

Excellent Frame quality and paint finish. Ideal suspension travel and the rear end feels nice and stiff

none other than it took a bit of experimenting to set up the RP23 to my liking (not really a weakness though)

An awesome bike. not cheap with the spec but definitely worth the $$$. Wrench Science did a first rate job of putting it all together as well

Similar Products Used: Demo-ed Niner Jet 9 and RIP 9. Both good bikes but i felt that the Jet geometry was a bit too aggressive for the trail riding I do and the RIP a bit too burly. To my mind the El Rey falls nicely between the two and I do think the frame quality and finish is better - but it should be as it is a little more expensive
bkndwdz   Cross Country Rider [Aug 10, 2009]
Strength:

Solid frame. No lateral flex.

None.

I've been riding a Santa Cruz Superlight for about 6 years. I loved the bike at first, but the better rider I became, the more I realized how much lateral flex the bike had. Started thinking about getting a Racer X, or El Saltamontes, but everyone kept saying: "try a 29er". I tried, and I liked! The El Rey seems to have the best handling of the bikes I test rode. Tight turns, or sweeping runs, it's like riding on a rail. I've been very surprised how well it climbs. It carries much more speed up hills. Of course long climbs will take more energy with the heavier bike and wheels than a 26 inch bike, but the El Rey more than makes up for it everywhere else on the trail. Although I ride fast cross country, I've always been tentative on downhill rocks and logs. The 29er makes all this a non-issue.

On short steep climbs, the El Rey goes over roots, rocks, and holes with no effort. I can get slowed by another rider, just stand on my pedals, then continue much easier than any other bike I've ridden. The most impressive thing about this bike is how it carves the turns. It's like driving a slot car. Point and shoot. No twist or slide. Most other bikes I've ridden would flex and slide, or you'd have to correct your line. The El Rey handles great!

The RP23 shock has plenty of adjustability and with the larger bike, I have it set quite stiff. Very little bob, and yet the ride is still smoother than my Superlight was on a softer setting.

The only upgrade I would suggest is a lighter wheelset for epic rides in the mountains.

It took me 2 years to decide to finally break down and spend the money on a new bike. I bought the right one! If you're looking to get a FS 29er, try the El Rey.

Similar Products Used: Demoed Titus Racer X 29er, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR. I liked both bikes, but the El Rey handled the best.