Trek Superfly 100 AL 29er Full Suspension

It's the no-compromise choice: Full suspension technical performance, with the flat-out speed and efficiency of 29" wheels.

Jan du Bruyn   Cross Country Rider [Jan 08, 2015]
Strength:

Like the Trek website says, "Leaves nothing on the table"
Fast, light, can be ridden like a 26" bike. XT spec. really compliments this bike. Have the 2014 FS 9 version. I have tried a couple of bikes with a 1x11 drivetrain before buying this one, def. prefer the 2x10 for my style of riding. Suspension is brilliant, takes the edge off anything but does not feel like the bike dissappears under you when you accelarate out of a corner.

Couldn't afford the carbon version!
Still need to add adropper post

Have just upgraded from a 26" short travel cross country bike. Before byuing I rode the Feul EX 9 29 and Remedy 9 27.5. Must be my riding style , but these two felt heavy and sluggish to me. I could not turn them at low speed and on tight switchbacks. So I was a bit aprehensive before getting on the Superfly with its 29 wheels, boy was I mistaken. This bike handles the Smithfield Worldcup Trail in Cairns Queensland like it was made for it and one more thing it is not called Super"FLY" for nothing, this bike makes you push your boundarys with confidence. Have been riding it for one week now averaging about 25km a day, love it.
Before picking up the bike I had the Bike shop remove the XR1 team issue tyres and replaced them with a XR2 Team issue at the back and a XR3 Team issue at the front, both set up tubeles. This is a very versatile, yet still fast combination, good grip and speed.
Awesome trail machine, you wont be dissapointed, I just love letting it go through the tight sinlge track rainforest trails
Very confident at speed.

racebum   [Jun 29, 2014]
Strength:

frame geometry, weight, suspension, and components for the price.

a few of the OE parts are a bit cheap but in all fairness they are cheap on all bikes at this price range made to do this purpose. the factory bars and seatpost were heavy, post especially. OE tires are great all terrain and work well on hardpack and pavement/trails. if you ride mud, sand, gravel or other substances you will want another set of tires to switch between.

first off, i rated this 5 stars simply because i got a great deal on a 2013 closeout a few weeks ago. at $1400 it's a 5 star bike and then some. if this would have been at 2389 i would have spent a few dollars more on the elite. now on to the nuts and bolts of my review. the bike with pedals weighed in just a tad under 30lbs which was the lightest FS 29er i was able to ride at this price point. the factory wheelset is around 22xx grams and right off the bat i was able to drop a pound buying a set of $300 easton ea70 wheels from jenson usa. also went to a low rise riser bar and dropped the stem one spacer. factory stock is 3-10mm spacers and a flat bar. i must say after minor tinkering i really LOVE THIS BIKE> the last bike i purchased new was a 1998 S works stumpjumper which was great for many years, got it down to 23lbs and change and never thought i could deal with a bike this heavy. long story short i'm faster around my riding areas on this than i was the stumpy. the superfly is also a LOT less punishing and fits my body geometry better. the 29er aspect is better on everything except tight technical {i'm 5'11" just for reference} spending the money on this bike has made me love biking all over again. i never use to be a trek fan but i have to admit, with the deal i got and after riding this vs a comparable new specialized FSR i'm amazed to be saying it, but, i'm now a trek fan and happy to own their bike.

Tom   [Apr 17, 2014]
Strength:

Fast.

Tires, drive train, brakes

I read reviews before buying a 2013 Trek Superfly 100 AL Elite. There was some great close out pricing and that was part of my motivation. My previous bike was a specialized 2010 Stumpjumper FSR Comp. A great low cost bike, but I was ready for a 29er that was faster.

The tires suck. I ride So Cal, hard packed, lose over hard packed etc. These things had no grip at all. Once I changed them, personality of the bike changed.

The local LBS set up the shock per Trek specs. I road it and it seemed like the suspension was way to stiff. I redid it with the sag meters and adjusted the rebound and we are getting there, not there yet, but getting there.

The head angle at 71degrees is really steep. The 105mm stem does not help. Rode on the front wheel a few times going doing technical trails. I changed the stem to a 60mm and it rides much better.

My Stumpjumper had Avid brakes, made lots of noise, but stopped on a dime. The SLX seem to require more effort.

Drivetrain- Tons of chain slap and suck. Very surprised. Also have lost a chain a few times on downhills.

If you are looking for fast bike, this is it. If you are thinking all mountain or want a more fun, forgiving bike, look elsewhere, get a slacker head angle.

N2mtb   All Mountain Rider [Oct 31, 2013]
Strength:

Comfortable, Capable, Fast and good quality.

Stock Tires

Got back into mountain biking after too many years of boring road riding. Started with a Specialized Rock Hopper 29er Comp. Thinking the trails I ride aren't all that rough. Well I soon found out that I was missing the ride of my old GT LTS. Guess the trails were rougher than I thought! Long story short, Upgraded the wheels, tires fork and even got a Thud Buster. Guess it all helped but still longed for the old days!
Started shopping around. Looked at all the cheap internet bikes and resisted the temptation to cheep out. Checked out What Specialized and Trek had to offer. Have to admit I suffered a little sticker shock so backed down but the idea was in my head and couldn't get it out. That was this Summer. Fast forward to a month ago and low and behold Trek advertises clearance prices on their 2013 models. Well that's all it took. Bought one the next day. Originally looking at the Elite, never really excited me all that much but when I saw the Pro and read the specs I had to have one and I'm glad I waited.
I Really like the bike. The ride is a good but you still know it's a mountain bike. First thing I noticed was how much better it went around the corners. and how I don't avoid every little root and rock that comes along. Have to say that Fox fork rides a lot better than the Reba I put on my Rock Hopper, even with enough pressure to keep it from bottoming out. One of the main reason I opted for the Pro was the full XT kit,15mm thru front axle and 12 x 142 rear axle along with the 2 x 10.
Shifting is spot on and crisp. Can't say enough about the brakes, flawless! Feel more secure with the modern axles.
Guess the tires are better for areas without rocks because the rear sidewall was cut within the first two weeks. They worked well just not very durable. Not a big issue for me since I had already planned on changing them out. Moved to a Maxxis Ardent in the front and a Ignightor in the rear. Oh yeah, went tubeless too. Got to say, the old GT has been surpassed as my favorite bike.
I think anyone who likes to ride and not get beat to death would benefit from this bike. The price on sale was good but still pricey if it's going to be a coat rack so if you're not going to ride it.........like that's going to happen once you have ridden it.

Similar Products Used: GT RTS, GT LTS. Specialized Rock Hopper 29er.
JHT   Cross Country Rider [Aug 04, 2013]
Strength:

Price, lock-out is excellent on rear shock, climbing and handling.

Tires, tires and tires. Avid brakes should not have been spec'd on a bike at this price. Chain drops all the time even after several mechanics at several shops have attempted to remedy the issue.

I'm no one special but I have raced on a Trek since 1987. Glad I could find a bike a this price, with dual suspension and an XC orientation. I am lucky to live in Missoula and ride great trails every night in the Summer. This bikes running gear can't take it. The brakes are absolute crap. Need to be bleed constantly, just plain suck at stopping the bike and should not have been spec'd on a bike that is to be ridden hard daily. Can't keep the chain on the bike. Shop says, long chain-stays, 3-rings up front and a 10 speed chain and cassette combine into a bike that it is extremely hard not too drop a chain several times on each ride. If they can't spec a bike over $2k that doesn't stand up to hard daily ridding, I need to look at other brands. Bike itself is fantastic! Running gear is crap! Buy the Elite!

Erik   [Jun 17, 2013]
Strength:

To start off I purchased the Elite Al, so the set up is a little different. I test rode a lot of bikes at the demos from Scott, Specialized and Trek. Trek got it right. The head tube angle to the longer rear triangle makes for quick steering ,a rear end that tracks well and just an overall responsive smooth ride. I read people are complaining about the tires-they ride very well on rocky, sandy and hard pack. Only problem is they love to fling sand and fine dirt at you and the chain drive, but as much as I ride they will be wore out soon.

I really only find one weakness in the bike's set up and that's the stem. It is a little flimsy but that's any easy fix. Probably change to Easton.

Overall a fast-sure footed bike. I still can't believe it's a 29er. Get the Superfly and get on board the best XC 29er. Thank you Trek for another stellar bike.

vack   [May 22, 2013]
Strength:

Climbs surprisingly well, the CTD is pretty good, looks good, is faster than I thought

Tires are terrible, took me a while to set it up right for me.

So this is my first FS bike since my Intense 5.5, which I loved. But went the 29er route in HT fashion 5 years ago. This year I picked up this bike as a back up to my Lynskey. I have to say, at first I really did not like it at all. Cockpit was short, I had to buy a new Seat Post, and new Stem right away, and it was just a pain to get right for me. Even Cased it in a rock garden and smashed my brake lever completely. Now I have one SLX and one XT brake handle. So anyway, I almost took it back and or sold it for the Giant, or the Cannondale. However, I tried one last time to get it right. This time I put more air in the rear shock and less in the font, about 10psi more in the back and 5 psi less in the front. (This is off the numbers I cam up with using the Fox Set up App) Put a couple more clicks into rebound and tried it out. Well whether I got lucky (probably) or actually subliminally knew what I was doing, it worked. With the Thompson Lay back and the longer 110 stem, it fit and road quite nicely. I'm really happy with it now, still not as good as the Lynskey, fit wise, but this is a much better bike for rough terrain, and that is where I use it. However I will say that it's a shame that I spent 2700 bucks on this bike (I have the 100AL Elite, not listed in the review section) that the tires that come on it are just plain junk. Not so much for grip, as they did ok at best with that, but if you live in a rocky rooty area like I do, (western PA) these tires will fail. I have 48 miles on this bike, all single track trails, and my rear tire sidewall is shredded. Chords are showing already, and one failed on my tonight....luckily Stan's seemed to stop the leak enough for me to get back to my Jeep. So yeah, it's a good bike, just be patient with it, and for the love of singletrack TREK, make some better tires.....jeez.

iowinos   Cross Country Rider [Feb 11, 2013]
Strength:

Everyone touts some kind of unique geometry, but the G2 concept is perfect for my style. ABP suspension tech seems to work great. Overall parts spec is very capable and reliable (nothing flashy but it works). Value: compared to other offerings at same price point, this bike stood out (through axle fork, faux through axle rear, PF30bb). Rides like a bike with more travel. Wheels come tubeless ready.

Tires: they roll fast, but if you ride terrain that warrants full suspension, these won't cut it on an everyday basis. Swapped over to some Nevegals and the bike is much more capable. I'm not a huge fan of 3x10 gearing (so many redundant gears) - would have preferred a 2x10 setup for some more clearance. There are tons of Bontrager parts but for whatever reason I've never had problems with in-house Trek gear.

Overall, there is a lot of bike for the money here. Obviously this is the lowest end price point for the Superfly 100 but it's a very capable machine out of the box. I love to upgrade but so far nothing has gone wrong to warrant swapping (aside from the wimpy tires). Trek is really coming to bat with high quality, reliable designs at value-oriented price spec. Never thought I'd say that about a Trek.

Similar Products Used: Jamis Dragon
neville koen   [Nov 01, 2012]
Strength:

Bought my Superfly November 2011, love it. I had a 26 er previously and now no comparison. I am a hacker however the bike allways inspires me to feel like a proffessional. Gears smooth, enjoy the ease of managing the suspension set up and strong resposive breaks. Fast and easily rolls over obsticles. All in all love my Superfly and doubt I will ever reach its full potential and may yet take it to my grave!

Tyres wash out on sand, changed them and now better response and grip. Shortened the handlebars by 3cm either side and added padded grips, now more comfortable. Have to concentrate not to experiance pedal knock. When I remove and replace drinks bottle have to avoid bumping the rear shock lock out.

Would not hesitate to recommend a 29er and a Trek Superfly!

david lugo   All Mountain Rider [Sep 27, 2012]
Strength:

29inch wheels offcourse it climbs over anything easy to control going uphill with the 105mm stem loved the lockout that's are also great steering is good with smaller stem offcourss it be better but its a niner I got video on youtube about bike if u want to check it out

Tires it comes with not for climbing u need some fr3 tires which are great other then that not bad

29er way to go I change mines to 2*10 I had 26er and there's no comparison its way faster and it climb way better with 29inch wheels offcourse I made hills I couldn't make with 26er I loved this bike