Trek HiFi Plus 29er Full Suspension

Ideal for racers, XC-oriented riders, endurance riders, or anyone looking for the fast, smooth ride of a dialed full suspension 29er.

E-Harvey   Cross Country Rider [Oct 21, 2015]
Strength:

Great front and rear suspension. Geometry is spot on. The bike climbs unbelievably well and is quite easy to steer at slow speed in technical sections. High speed cornering and descents are quite good as well. Rear shifting with X7 is perfect.

Low bottom bracket is an issue as I find I hit the big chain ring on rocks and almost all logs crossing the path. Also the Weight is on the heavy side. My 19.5 frame weighed in at 29.5lb. I can feel this on longer climbs or in technical sections when I'm stopped by a rock and need to get the biking rolling again. (it was expected in this price point but still a small problem.) The Front shifter / derailleur is not great. Shifting the middle ring has been an issue. I'm not sure if it's the derailleur or the setup.

I've been surprised by this bike, it feels a lot like my old Cannondale 26" hardtail as far as handling and agility goes but with better front suspension to soak up big hits. Despite the larger wheels the HIFI does seem to be almost as good in the slower technical sections. But it climbs much better! ..and of course can descend much better.

I removed the big chain ring and had my shop adjust the front derailleur. This has removed the low bottom bracket issue and also improved the shifting to the "middle ring"

Overall I'm really enjoying this bike. I picked it up used but in mint condition and seemingly never taken off road so I'm basically reviewing this as a brand new bike. I gave this 4 our of 5 flaming chilies because of some of the minor issues but I would recommend this bike to any cross country recreational rider. (I would recommend a lighter and more expensive bike for racers)

scott tracy   Cross Country Rider [Jun 05, 2013]
Strength:

Climbs like a goat. Decends like a raped ape. Turns like there's no tomorrow. Point and shoot very nimble through tight stuff.

Not enough time to ride due to working swing shift.

I must have gotten a bike built on a Wednesday. I've had no trouble and after 340 miles of hard ridding something should have broke. Got it at the end of march 2012 as a close out sale for 1600. I did switch the stem for 31mm to a 105mm. What a change that made for the better. The rear tire was changed to a continental mountain king then to a kenda nevgal. Never rode the stock rear. Its my first 29er and no going back. Got rid of 26er parts. The bike is for anyone wit beginer to emid level ridding experiance.

David Reynolds   [Jul 14, 2012]
Strength:

Geometry and feel of the bike when climbing and decending

Everything except the frame and geometry

I've had this bike for 6 months now and it is by far one of the worst bikes I've ever owned. The frame is great and the overall feel and ride of the bike is wonderful, but the parts spec is awful! The shifting is horrendous, the rear hub failed, the rear pivots are already sloppy, it's left me stranded more than I care to admit to and it's been in the shop getting fixed or repaired for almost 4 weeks of total time. The reason they make you get Trek Red Shield is because you'll have to have it or the repair bills will be so much you'll scrap it. I am getting rid of mine as soon as possible even if I have to take a huge loss. Save your money and buy a higher end model or just steer clear of Cheap Trek's because I've been happy with my Madone but this one was a train wreck!

blawry   Cross Country Rider [May 04, 2012]
Strength:

Great suspension. Good fit. Tight ride. Fast and responsive. Great value. Love the soft grips.

Ok - so take my opinion with a grain of salt...Riding this bike is a religious experience!! I came from a 1990 rigid Giant atx780 all XT- which I loved, My LBS promised me that the new components are so advanced I would not miss my XT - they were so right!! Super pleased with SRAM X7. Bought the bike in December 2011. Got a great price since it was a close out. Quick turning, light, fast. I was considering the Rumblefish - love it and it is a great bike, but I am happier with the faster turning more racy HiFi. It fakes DH and endure well enough for me and is truly a XC bike which is what I was looking for. You can't go wrong with this ride.

rdd1986   All Mountain Rider [Apr 10, 2012]
Strength:

Just a blast to ride

rear hub has failed on me twice!!

Bought this just over a month ago as a leftover from last year (2011). I'm a bigger guy at 6'1" 280lbs and I managed to destroy to hubs real fast but the trek dealer upgraded me to the Bontrager rhythm pro and it seems to me working well. Overall the bikes great and I've been getting a hell of a workout!

9erfreak   Cross Country Rider [Dec 27, 2011]
Strength:

Solid build, excellent shifting, nimble for a 29er, all out blast to ride

Too much fun to ride

The bike goes where I want it to go when I want it to go there. It does everything well. Granted, you can get a better bike for more money, but if you just like to hit the trails on the weekends or want a reliable bike for some local MTB races, this bike will do just fine. The HiFi Plus is excellent for someone who wants a nice full suspension 29er. It has helped me save energy on root covered trails and I can ride 2+ hours on it without any issues. My friend can still outrun me on his Superfly, but he has a much more difficult time doing it now. I would recommend this bike to any friend of mine. It is by far my best purchase to date.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er, Gary Fisher Superfly
JBiker   Weekend Warrior [Aug 16, 2011]
Strength:

Smooth ride, good components.

Paint scratches easily. Recommended frequent maintenance of rear shock (rebuild every 8 hrs in wet conditions).

I've been riding the bike for a couple weeks now and am very pleased with the purchase. The combination of 29 in. wheels and full suspension make conquering any cross country trail easy. I'm able to go 30% farther without getting tired compared to my old 26 in. hardtail. My only complaints are it is difficult to mount on a bike rack due to the horizontal position of the rear shock and the paint job scratches easily. I've already got well worn in scratch marks where the shift cables rub on the front down tub.