Transition Bikes Covert 29 29er Full Suspension

Transition Bikes Covert 29 29er Full Suspension

The Covert is the most versatile bike we make in our lineup. Designed to not only excel in a multitude of riding styles, it dominates them. Our main goal with the Covert was to create a bike that you could ride almost anywhere with the least amount of compromising. New pivot placements and geometry make the Covert super comfortable and efficient to climb while the increased stroke shock and custom tuned suspension make the Covert destroy downhills and remain incredibly playful. That is why the Covert is our bike of choice for pro level enduro and avalanche style racing. You can pedal all day and then point it down almost any type of terrain with total confidence.

[Dec 10, 2014]
ACLakey
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Very stiff frame
Downhill is a blast
Suspension works very well and gives a great ride
Very balanced bike

This beast is a little heavy but STOUT

I recently came off of a Trance X0 which had a better component spec than my Covert. To me, the front end of the Trance was lacking and under my weight (6'0" Strong 230lb) it was flexy and would not hold a line. I did a lot of research looking for a longer travel 29er and the Transition Covert 29er checked all the boxes for me.

When my bike arrived I swapped the bars out for some wider Atlas bars and was instantly comfortable on this bike. I am defiantly slower on the climbs but once this thing gets pointed downhill all is forgotten...this bike is just plain fun on the down!! The rider position is neutral and the bike feels very well balanced. The bike corners VERY well, especially compared to the Trance which was difficult in the tight stuff for me. We have a local trail that has a series of tight switch backs and I almost had to come to a stop on the Trance, with the Covert I fly around the corners.

I swapped the front chain rings for a set 36/22 which was EXACTLY what I needed. Most all the trails here consist of long steep, technical and rocky climbs and the stock gearing was just too tall. One ride consists of several long grinding climbs which I never was able to complete before even with the lighter Trance. With the lower gears I can grind it out. I would like to swap the stock wheelset for a set of AM Carbon wheels at some point. I am not really crazy about the Avid brakes and at some point will upgrade to Shimano.

All in all, I am not going to win any races to the top anymore but I can honestly say this bike is way more FUN. Point it downhill and let it rip.

Giant Trance X0 29er, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Niner Rip 9, Niner Jet 9, Santa Cruz Tallboy, Santa Cruz Heckler

OVERALL
[May 29, 2013]
Bulldozer27
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Stout frame construction
Very stiff
Stable at speed
Plush suspension
Balanced front-to-rear when airborne
Inexpensive relative to comparable frames

Stout = heavy (7.75lbs for Medium frame)
Poorly designed cable routing

I've spent the last 10 years riding MTBs from Specialized and Giant, the most recent being an Anthem X 29. A few months back I upgraded the Anthem's fork to a 140mm Fox 34 TALAS, and that eventually led to my first custom build.

The search for a frame suitable to the previously-mentioned TALAS fork took the most time when planning my build. Beyond 100mm of travel, the choices among 29ers are limited, and I was only able to demo the Yeti SB-95, SC Tallboy LTa, and Turner Burner (a proxy for the Sultan). While each had its strengths, none of them really won me over.

Then I wandered into the Transition forum here on MTBR and discovered the Covert 29. Without even a test ride I decided to order one from the nearest dealer as it just looked RIGHT. Illogical I know, but the gamble has since paid off big time Let me begin by saying that climbing was just OK, but only because of the weight, not because of any handling issues. My build is fairly high-end, but the complete bike still weighs 31.2 lbs. That's the price one pays for a 140mm 29er. The flip side of this is that all is forgotten once the trail heads downhill as I have never been this confident on descents with any bike previously. Speed and fun were clearly design parameters during the development of this frame.

Suspension designs are a favorite dead horse on this forum, but the Covert has a basic faux-bar single-pivot. My previous bikes all had ostensibly superior designs (FSR, Maestro), but I don't notice any deficiencies with the Covert. Seems to me the Fox CTD shock has a bigger impact on suspension performance than linkage design, and the CTD as valved for this frame is excellent.

After the first ride I had such a huge grin that, for the first time, I feel compelled to write a product review. If you're looking for a longer travel 29er, this one should be considered. Also, the frameset is hundreds of dollars less than the other ones mentioned, partially due to less name recognition, but probably more because of no licensing fee for a patented suspension design.

Yeti SB-95