Titus Rockstar 29er 29er Full Suspension

Titus Rockstar 29er 29er Full Suspension

Rockstar new design, featuring 100mm of travel available in Aluminum and Titanium Hydro-formed top tube and down tube with optimized butting profiles Oversized, tapered headtube flares from an 1 1/8" headset bearing to a 1.5" bearing for razor sharp handling The flowing tube shapes and unique butting profiles have been optimized through extensive FEA analysis and simulated load testing New Full Carbon Construction Swingarm. The all-new seat stay features a full carbon dropout, carbon yoke and new s-bend shaping for enhanced heel clearance

[Feb 01, 2014]
fishbol

Strength:

Efficient climber, easy suspension setup, mondo traction, price, good geometry.

Decals peel easily, could have been solved by applying the top coat over the decals. Wish it came in anodized blue

Getting the suspension tuned right is the key, once you got that set, the thing corners like it's on rails. I slapped on a pair of Maxxis ignitors, it's like a match made in heaven! My confidence level is just thru the roof when I am riding this bike, gotta say it's the best one that I have ever owned. I love this thing to bits. I would probably replace it (when the time comes) with a newer rockstar model. Titus got it right with this one.

Giant, Marin, Salsa, Niner, Ellesworth

[Mar 13, 2013]
rayj

Strength:

Climbs like a goat. Corners and turns like a 26er. Very light rear end (which is another plus on cornering). Tapered headtube and sleek form. Titus head badge is beautiful. Monarch RT3.

Could use a better paint job on the 2012 version (blue). Perhaps they could do away with the stickers next time.
Not really a weakness but chainstay is quite long, it doesn't encourage an all-mountain demeanor.

The 2010 model of this bike has a low BB, so thank you Titus for bringing up the BB of the 2012 version and still maintaining a reasonable wheelbase.

This is a really good climber. Plus it's a 29, i could easily outdo my 26er friends, and even 29 HTs. Corners very well too. Coming from an aggressive 26er myself, i finally got on the 29er bandwagon but on one condition, that my bike should handle like a 26er. Looking at many reviews, and demoed 29ers (Jet9, Rip9, Titus Rockstar '12), this bike handles like a 26er the most. It took me 3 rides to finally migrate my MTB skills to the 29er platform.

Turn the Monarch into its wide-open setting and the bike encourages you to be playful during trails. Come race-day, just adjust the Monarch RT3 into it's stiffest setting and you'll have a race bike. Overall, this bike has a very stiff handling, good climber, and (if one has a very solid skills) can win an enduro race.

A Little Warning: if you're like me that can only maintain 1 full-sus bike, do not transfer your 26er drivetrain (at least the chain) to the Titus Rockstar. This bike has a long rear triangle, it will put a lot of stress in your chain, get stuck while mashing an up-hill, and you'll just break your drop-out hanger (yeah i did break my drop-out hanger). :)

Enjoy the bike!

[Sep 18, 2012]
Chris

Strength:

Affordable, Elegant looking, Comfortable, Efficient peddler

Decals and finish not durable, efficient but not as compliant as I had hoped

No real complaints. I weigh 230 lbs and have been riding this frame for about 4 months with no issues so far.

Fishar Sugar

[Sep 13, 2012]
CJ
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Well made, well executed design that works in a variety of XC and trail applications. FSR rear suspension with no brake jack, and excellent pedelling manners (platform only of use on roads).As good going up as down, low BB for great cornering. Carbon rear soaks up trial chatter brilliantly.

Could use a 142X12 rear, and shorter chainstay. Paint isn't the most durable.

Been riding for over 25yrs. This is my third 29er and by far the best. Perhaps the best bike I have owned. It can be an XC racer or aggressive trail bike with just a few minor mods. Mine see's regular use on the North Shore, Squamish and Whistler and just did the 4 Kings. I can attest to it's durability. Looking fwd to turning this into more of an XC bike and adding an El Guapo 29 to my stable. At current frame prices I don't see much if anything that can compete with this Titus.
Ignore the last review. Take the PP off when decending, drop the shock pressure a tad, and lower your tires below 35lbs. This bikes fantastic!

Salsa Big Mama, Rocky Mountain Altitude 29, Niner JET 9, Salsa El Mariachi

[Apr 26, 2012]
Komdotkom

Strength:

It's a 29er, reasonably light

Poor traction and small bump compliance, not a very efficient peddler and very poor build quality.
My rear chain stays are 141mm apart and need to be clamped down to fit the 135mm hub, I doubt that this is intentional pre tensioning from the manufacturer. There's also some weld debris stuck inside the top tube that makes a noise when you ride, poor quality bearings.
Chronic brake jack.

I have to say I'm disappointed in the Rockstar. I demo'd quite a few FS 29ers before stumbling upon a new frame going cheap on eBay. It's fairly light, but lacks the finish of more expensive bikes. The overall finish isn't too bad, but the small things like bushes in the rear suspension and the lower arm pivot bolt alignment just aren't as good as the larger manufacturers. I had really hoped that these smaller 'boutique' frames would offer a great alternatives to buying a bike from a larger manufacturer and then having to spend $$ upgrading it to what you want.
It's not really a dog of a bike, just not as good as I'd hoped. I just think that the finish isn't good enough and the suspension compliance in the rear is all wrong. I'm going to change the IFP pressure and see if that helps, I have to run 100psi ( I'm 70kgs ) to get 20% sag and it still doesn't use full travel. I've done about 400kms on it so would assume that the rear shock was broken in by now.

Gary Fisher Superfly 100, Trek Paragon, Roscoe 3, Anthem X, Fuel 9.9, Yeti Big Top.

[Apr 23, 2012]
snmnoles

Strength:

Climbs like a mountain goat. Great value. Downhill like you're on a dirt bike. Speced with a Fox RP23 w/ boost valve on the rear combined with a a Fox Fit on the front makes it hover over terrain. Easy suspension set up.

I have a small frame so the BB is low causing me to be mindful of pedal strikes. The BB actually sits lower that my Santa Cruz Superlight 26. The newer version has a raised BB height and shorter top tube to maintain your center of gravity, in essense fixing this minor problem..

For the $$ this bike is fast, supple, fast, comfortable, a great value...did I mention fast?!?

All my previous bikes were 26ers.

[Feb 20, 2012]
mavdog3

Strength:

Geometry, Climbing capability, looks, performance........

i hear a lot of complaints about pedal strikes but the BB height is the same as an spec epic, titus racer x, and other Cross country bikes. I think having the suspension setup right is key to this bike.

I took me a very long time to put money down on a 29er. to many changes in such a short time made me cautious. I did a 50+ race on my new Titus Racer X and thought I should ride the new Rockstar as I really loved the Racer X. I rode many other 29ers at this point and was not real floored until i got on the Rockstar. Great climbing and corning straight out of the box and it out performed the epic 29 for me. It was lighter then a lot of bikes in this class and equipped with far superior parts. I would say I am extremely happy with the rockstar. I think of all the reviews I have read the complaints were all the same. The complaints about pedal strikes but the BB height is the same as an spec epic, titus racer x, and other Cross country bikes. I think having the suspension setup right is key to this bike, I have had too much sag and I would strike pedals but if I stuck to about 20% I had no issues. This bike is so dialed it doesn't need pedal platform assist, I don't use the propedal on mine at all. Cost on this bike was around 4500.00 MSRP so paying less is always good I gave 5 chilis for this fact and 4 chilies overall as there is always room for improvement but I am greatly satisfied.

Specialized epic 29, Specialized camber 29, Santa Cruz Tallboy, Giant Anthem 29

[Nov 02, 2011]
CCTrog

Strength:

Light, Excellent Stand over Clearance, Quick Handling and solid downhill manners

Bottom Bracket Needed to Be Chased on a New Frame, Some Pedal Strikes

I was concerned about pedal strikes from earlier reviews and, indeed, there are some minor issues at first. However, with the height of the Talas set at 120mm it pretty much eliminates the issue. I also found that running the shock with the right sag makes a substantial difference in reducing pedal strikes and making the bike feel solid. The front end is rock solid for a Cross-Country bike and the bike improves my limited downhill skills considerably. The bike improves climbing over a 29er hardtail, but it has trouble digging in on very steep climbs. That said, the bike and frame accelerate quickly, keep speed well and the corning is excellent. This bike would be an excellent endurance racer, especially with a set of lighter wheels. This frame was picked up from On One/Titus as one of their clearance frames...great deal but I ding Titus on the Value Rating for providing a frame which I had to take to the dealer to have the BB threads chased...they are aware of the problem from earlier posts. Bottom line, a great frame for general cross country riding and it can handle some tougher terrain if necessary. I don't understand an earlier post that indicated the rider preferred an 80mm shock on this frame. On easier Terrain I run the Talas at 95mm; and rough terrain 120mm. This set up appears perfect as you get the best of both worlds.

GT 9r hardtail, Titus Racer X 26er

[Jun 18, 2011]
sadman

Strength:

stiff and efficient rear end.minimal bobbing.

heavy rear end

first year I rode it with 100mm travel in front.then drop it to 80.feels more stable and predictable-the best fsbike I rode ever

HIFI29

[May 16, 2011]
kikoreta

Strength:

Stable at speed. Very good climber. Rolls over everything. Great all around bike.

Low bottom bracket means LOTS of pedal strikes. Steering is a bit slow.

This bike makes a great trail bike. It can do anything and go anywhere. The RX29 I had definitely felt faster while the attitude of the Rockstar is more laid back. The super low bb is an annoyance because I have pedal strikes in every ride as compared to none with my previous.

Titus Racer-X 29er