Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert EVO 29 29er Full Suspension

Stumpjumper FSR Expert EVO 29

Aggressive trail riding meets 29" wheels in the form of the Stumpjumper FSR Expert EVO 29. The 135mm-travel Expert Evo 29 features a Fox Float CTD Factory shock with AUTOSAG and Boost Valve, Fox 34 TALAS CTD Performance fork, and Roval Traverse 29 142+ wheelset mounted to Specialized Purgatory and Butcher tires.

JPS Europa   Cross Country Rider [Jul 02, 2013]
Strength:

Its an all around awesome ride. Very fast and can be laid way down in the twisty bits with confidence. Stiff frame and surprisingly stiff wheelset.

I need to get rid of that handlebar. It makes the bike as wide as a schoolbus and it really should have been CF anyway. The brakes are powerful, but chatter and make noise which progresses from squealing like a schoolgirl to turkey gobbling to foghorn. The vibration is a scrotum massage. The chatter causes me to lose confidence diving into a corner modulating the brakes to setup. There has to be a better pad for them. I am thinking that is all it is. Bottom bracket just started creaking...story of my life on every bike I own. Begin the creak chasing!

It fast and sturdy. Climbs better than it has any right to and carves beautifully (my favorite part). With a couple of minor tweaks it will be incredible. If you are not a major weight weenie and hate stuff that feels weedy, then this is your bike.

Similar Products Used: too many bikes
onobed   [Feb 19, 2013]
Strength:

Great descender
Rolls over everything
Quiet
Climbs very well

Low level components for the price
Brakes are terribly loud
Seat post among the worst ever

I wish you could rate things with half of a star of accuracy. I say that because this bike really is a nine out of 10. However it is not a ten and figured it would be better to err on the side of lower score rather than higher score. The best thing about this bike is the geometry. It rides lower than a cross country 29er. It rips down hills,gobbling up steep Rocky descents like it's no one's business. The combination of the 29 inch wheels, the slack head angle, and the travel on the TALAS forKS are unequaled in their descending ability. I followed a guy, an accomplished downhiller,, down a very steep rocky track. He had a coil over 7 inch travel 26 inch bike and I had no issues keeping up. On the downhill the rider,will hit its limit long before the bike will.

As much as I enjoyed going down I was equally impressed on the way up. Here, the adjustability of the TALAS fork showed its colors. Dialed down to minimum travel, long fireroad climbs were totally comfortable. Had the fork been in the 140 mm travel, then the front of the bike would have been to too high and The front end would have drifted.

Most remarkable about ascents were the combination of the 29 inch tires, the seat angle,and the longish change days. I couldn't lose traction. I rode up the steepest hills I have a long time and was simply amazed. I thought that the longer chain stays and longer wheelbase would be a liability but again this bike climes quite well so long as you remain seated.

Okay so what didn't I like? First and foremost the seat post. I'm on a personal crusade to get specialized to build a real dropper seat post. The command post is terrible. The ergonomics of the actuating lever interfere with shifting. The actuation of the seatpost itself is poor at best. And the fact that there are only three positions is inexcusable.

The other two problems I have with the bike are more on the value side. The component group for a $6000 bike was particularly low. The handlebar looked like it belonged on a Walmart store bicycle. The SRAMbrakes with the loudest least actuated breaks I have used. And the component group was a level below that which I would have expected for over six grand.

Last thing on the bike itself was the party of the graphics. Specialized needs to hire a new graphic designer. This bike Looks cheap.

PB Matrix   All Mountain Rider [Nov 19, 2012]
Strength:

Complete bike is relatively at a light weight for its capabilities. Stiff frame, fork, and wheel set. Specialized specific strengths: Tires seal up with Stan’s and Gorilla taped rims easily. The saddle is wonderful for me. Love the Command Post so far, Cable routing is the best IMHO, Grips are decent. Frame warranty.

Other manufacture Strengths: The crank set is great, the trail brakes are awesome stoppers,

Specialized specific weaknesses: Front tire has dead space between the top knobs and side knobs, you can feel the transition while leaning into turns. Other manufactures have full carbon frames at this price point. These component selections are below average for this price point: Aluminum bars, Fox Performance 34mm Fork (No K-coating or Trail Tuning adjustment) SRAM 1050 Cassette, and KMC XX Chain. Rims needed to be trued slightly as they had about 2mm of wobble.

Other Manufacture weaknesses: OEM Fox 34mm Fork: The low friction seals had zero internal lube causing stiction and pre-mature wear of the seal (lube the seals with silicon grease or Slick Honey). The fork had a dribble or two of lubricating bath oil in the lowers, running this amount will cause the bushings to wear fast (Add 2 OZ, 10 Weight Fox fork oil to each side). Climb mode is set at medium stiffness and with a 220 lb rider does not even begin to lock out the fork while climbing. (Request re-shim to make it firm). The Fox shock seals were lubed with oil only, add Slick Honey to increase seal life. The KMC XX Chain is slightly wider than Sram and causes noise when new. The 1050 Cassette is a heavy, but will last a long time.

Overall: If you buy this bike from a decent LBS make sure they lube the fork and shock seals for you, true the wheels, upgrade the bars to carbon, upgrade the cassette to XT, swap the chain for a SRAM one and make sure the stem length fits you, then you will be happy for a long time.

Similar Products Used: 2012 SJ FSR 29er
vince   [Nov 12, 2012]
Strength:

amazing climber descending is even more amazing it has to be ridden to understand how good it is and rails corners with so much confidence( small size frame might play a big part in railing)

no weakness but would have been nice to have come with Kashima coating front forks

have ridden both med and small size frames and the difference in handling is crazy.small frame is so quick in cornering and bunny hopping everything is so easy.highly recommend buying small frame if you can fit one,I'm 167 cm and the fit is perfect

cmdrbike   Weekend Warrior [Oct 12, 2012]
Strength:

Sucks up everything like a 29'r with that much travel should while still being a capable climber and able to take a tight turn.

Not a big fan of the SRAM spec. Fairly spendy.

I've had this bike for a few weeks. Mine was built up from a frame, so I don't get the awesome color scheme.
What I did get was full XT components and the Factory spec TALAS fork. Functionally the same as the spec model... but better ;)
What has impressed me most about this is not that it handles the gnar - that was expected, but that it goes above and beyond as far as climbing goes. No, it is not like some mountain goat on methamphetamine. It will not replace your hardtail for responsiveness, and at 29.5 lbs (for my build) it is far from the lightest bike you own. But, it goes up without wearing you down and goes down... like a bat out of hell.
I haven't had it long enough to point out exactly why everything is as good as it is, but I have had it long enough to know that it's good. If I remember I will write a follow up when I've beaten it up a little more.