Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 29er Full Suspension

Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 29er Full Suspension

Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29: The Stumpy FSR Comp 29 is built from an M5 aluminum frame with 130mm of rear wheel travel, a custom Fox Triad II shock with AUTOSAG, Fox Evolution F130 RL air-sprung fork, and a custom...

[Dec 04, 2017]
Bob F.
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

The bike geometry is just outstanding that handles everything thrown at it. I love the way it handles single track, climbing and descents. I was told years ago that the specialized bicycle company spends a lot of dough on R&D and real world engineering. I believe it. Yes, some components are marginal but the bike shines by doing everything right. A lot of bikes out there have better components but none get even close to the way this thing rails them. Love it.

Avid elixir 5 hydraulic brakes squeal like a stuck pig. Change the brake pads to organic type/ clean rotors with acetone and it’s fixed.

Great Bike! If you just enjoy riding in all MTB situations, this is it.

Specialized Stump Jumper hard tail.

[Nov 07, 2015]
Kuba
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Versatile, easy to ride, good geometry, low top tube, good descender, tubeless ready setup

stock deore brakes, inconvertible rear shock !!!, flexible rs revelation, overpriced, hub side to side play,

Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er 2016 model. Although I like how the bike rides, I wouldnt buy it again. The deore brakes had no modulation and power. Changed them to XT. RS Revelation is OK when riding XC, but when going more aggressive it takes away all the confidence and fun. Its very flexible and sinks far too much under braking. Gonna switch it to Pike or the 34. I have also many problems with the hubs. After first ride the front hub had to be replaced because of side to side play. After some time both the wheels have play which my LBS doesnt want to fix, since its "normal in the 29ers". Gonna have to change them also i guess. The rear shock cant be upgraded because it is mounted with a custom made link. It bobs in trail and descend mode - fsr my ass. My 2007 Giant Reign with maestro suspension worked far better. The specialized dropper post is ok, although it sometimes doesnt extends fully, and You have to pull it by hand. I like the lever attached to the grip. The tires are very good, and the rims are tubeless ready. The fox autosag feature works really good. I also find the seat very comfortable. The bike gives plenty of fun and rides really well, but some parts are just a bad choice, especially for this price which is not justified by anything. Propably the higher models have better parts on them, but look at those prices. Almost 9000 $ for the top model !

specialized epic 2007, giant reign 2007

[Nov 26, 2013]
OoHoO

Strength:

Pedaling platform, suspension ease of setup and versatility, frame geometry

Weight

This bike is the most versatile bike I have ridden (ridden both hardtail 26, full sus 26). The suspension is easy to set up and maintain and allows me to set up for both xc firmness and DH/AM type riding. Going tubeless was easy on the stock wheel set and tires was easy also. Went and bought a pair of Stan's Crest 29 wheels with S-Works Fast Trak tires, threw them on the bike and set the suspension on the firmer side and I have been racing this bike at right above 26lbs for XC (down from the stock ~30lbs). This bike is a great all around bike, may be the last one I need, it can do it all.

[Nov 09, 2013]
matt

Strength:

Climbs anything, rides fast, comfortable cockpit

The only thing I have had an issue with other than the factory recall on the evolution series shock, is that my front brake squeels and skips when hard pressure is appied to the lever.

Overall this bike is AMAZING! this is the 1st bike I havepurchased in like 12 years, my last bike was a schwinn MOAB hardtail so my review may be biased based on my previous bike. 1st FS bike, and 1st bike with disc brakes too. I have had this bike for about a month and have been able to tackle terrain that I used to have to walk over on my last bike. I am still getting used to this bike but overall I am very happy with it. The stock components work well however I do have some intermittent squeeling and skipping on the front brake, back brake works fine with no issues and since thats the main brake I dont mind it so much. Ialso got this bike on sale in October from my LBS, nothing better than end of the year specials. If you are looking for one ride that can do it all this is your steed.

[Oct 22, 2013]
29er'ForLife

Strength:

I love this bike my first full suspension 29er and my first 29er. This bike has been well worth the money, and is vary well built. I can tackle any terrain even thought this bike might be on the heavy side for some people, it performs vary well on climbs and descents. i haven't had any problems with the components that came with the bike.

The only weakness of this bike is the weight but thats probably not the reason why you would buy this bike in the first place.

Over all great buy this bike will conquer any terrain you throw at it.

[Sep 13, 2013]
TallHorse
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Pedaling platform, Descending, Suspension

Weight (but for the price 30lbs is good), Avid Elixer 5 brakes

I have been on a 2013 FSR 29 comp for a full season / several thousand miles and it has treated me right! I am 215lb on an XL and often ride quite technical trails. The Stumpy has always made me smile with no issues. I came from a 2011 expert with the Brain and this bike is head an shoulders above that past model.

The new 12mm rear axle creates a noticeable increase in stiffness - especially in the rough. The 22/36 gearing works great for me as a clyde. The suspension has a great pedaling platform and is still quite plush without having to pay $250 to service the brain - which takes 2 weeks. Plus I get full travel in the rear which I never got on the '11. (lower PSI in the front fork creates the best balance IMO - ex 75 when 90 is recommended for my weight)

The bike is 30.3 lbs with XT pedals, an Easton Havoc 29.5" bar and a Truvativ T4 setback seatpost. The one thing that works fine but could be better is the brakes. I rode some XT's and got spoiled.

This is a good trailbike for those who want to ride everything from cross country to light all mountain. If you can only have one this is a good pick. Overall it is durable, well balanced and descends with great confidence - pretty good for a FS under 3K.

2011 Stumpjumper FSR Expert 29

[Aug 06, 2013]
Paul

Strength:

Wasn't much of a choice. I'm 6'6" so this is the ONLY bike I could find that would fit me because it comes in XXL. Found a used 2010 and jumped on it. Came from an XL superlight and fell in love on the first ride. I climb way better now. On the downhill sections most of the time I don't have to worry about picking a line... this bike just soaks it up.

Avid elixir breaks require constant re-alignment or else they will rub.

I love this bike! Probably the main reason is because its the first bike that actually fits me.

[Jan 28, 2013]
Jim Pearson

Strength:

Fast rolling, excellent suspension, climbs like a goat, loves an aggressive rider. Probably immediately 10-20% faster than my 2012 Trance x0 26er on fast flowing trails. Value for money awesome with the LBS deal I got (and I always thought Giant were best in VFM!). Test road trance x 29er as well and the stumpy smokes the trance if you ride agressively. Trance more plush and good for the casual rider. Stumpy hands down if you wanna attack the trails and go fast.

Swapped the brakes to XT trails from new. Juicy 5s a poor spec for this bike. Issues with fox fork, blow off valve for climb setting did not reset, fox fixed on warranty. Minor stuff.

If you want a fast bike that awards an aggressive rider and is great value for money then the stumpy is the 29er to have.

2012 Trance X 26er
2010 Reign
2006 Attack Trail

[Jan 25, 2013]
thisismyarizona

Strength:

Immediately fun and confident in the saddle...really no downside from my 26er (also FSR). Tried Tall Boy, both carbon and alum, and felt very awkward...not so with the FSR. Rolls over everything - point and shoot mountain biking - great climber and descender...great handling on technical trails

would love to shave some weight (29+lbs)...will work on that when I can.

The FSR required no 'learning curve' going form a 26er to the 29er. Had to move the saddle back a bit to get comfortable over the bars, then it was all fun. Very important to watch tire pressure (I run tubeless)...I run about 23lbs...(large frame 5'11 160lbs) and it works perfectly. Spend some time dialing shocks (damping and rebound) and it all comes together beautifully. Very fun to just ride around exploring...you can cover so much more ground on a 29er. Just love it!

[Oct 26, 2012]
crclawn

Strength:

Stiff, rolls over everyting.

A little sluggish in tight spots.

Riding this bike is almost cheating. Rolls over everything. You will pick less lines. Very plush. Climbs reall well for the amount of travel. I put I9's and flows on it and its a beast. I run the Reba w 20mm t/a up front and 10mm bolt on in the back, very stiff. You might not like this bike if your used to a light weight 26 that you can flick around. If you are looking for something that will smooth out the rough and with some time in the seat, make you a better rider, consider the 29 FSR from Special Ed