Specialized Epic Comp 29er 29er Full Suspension

Specialized Epic Comp 29er 29er Full Suspension

The M5 aluminum Epic Comp 29 has 100mm of travel and 29-inch wheels to smooth any cross-country terrain.

• 29" M5 alloy Competitive XC frame with 100mm of supple FSR suspension features 29er-specific geometry with short chainstays, low BB, and roomy top tube for confident all-day riding and racing
  • Specialized and Fox blend their brains to develop the FlowControl Mini Brain shock with Brain Fade inertia valve, air spring, and adjustable rebound for World Cup - and local trail - domination
  • RockShox Reba RLT 29er fork with 100mm travel, rebound/compression adjust, and Floodgate control allows this 29er to soak up rocks like no other
  • Specialized Hi Lo disc hub with 142+ spacing and sealed cartridge bearings has a higher flange on the disc side, which stiffens the wheel in this high-stress area
  • S-Works The Captain 29 x 2.0" front and S-Works Renegade 29 x 2.0" rear 2Bliss Ready dual compound tires work together to deliver exceptional speed and traction, while minimizing rotating weight
  • SRAM's venerable X9 long cage rear derailleur is super tough and light, yet delivers pinpoint shifts in the worst conditions

[Nov 27, 2017]
Roger Lawry

Strength:

Climbs well, turns on a dime, good ride, frame seems well-built. brakes work well and are fade-free.

Absolutely horrible wheels. After the aluminum spoke nipple broke repeatedly, even on road rides, I had to have them all replaced with brass nipples, which cured the problem. Numerous air leakage problems around the spokes. And now, after minimal riding over the past 5 years, the rear cassette has failed. The rear shock failed after two years but the replacement seems fine. No excuses for these cheap components on a $3300 bike.

I have enjoyed this bike, my first mountain bike, and accessed many local trails. It is another great way to stay in shape and see the backcountry. However, this bike is in the shop more than on the road or trails and I am completely fed up with the low-quality components, especially the disastrous wheels. I am sure there are many competitors that have better-built bikes than this.

[Feb 14, 2017]
Greg

Strength:

Very nimble for a 29er, rolls well, brain rear suspension works perfectly, Reba fork is very smooth.

Weight is the most significant weakness. Also, Spec stops servicing the brain system after about 5 years, but they refer you to another company who does. Still, that seems a little shabby.

I bought this bike used and came from a 2002 Spec FSR S Works (predecessor to the Epic). It's an awesome bike...smooth, stable, quick handling for a 29er...simply a well designed comprehensive package for cross country riding. Easy transition from a 26er. Took a while to get the front and rear suspension the way I wanted it, but now it rides perfectly. Climbs well, descends well, carves corners beautifully, a rocket on the flats. The only negative at all is the weight; mine is 29 lbs as I ride it. I don't notice the weight much except when accelerating or on sustained climbs. I do miss the explosiveness of my 26er S Works, but that's the trade-off. I highly recommend this bike if you don't want to spend a few thousand more to cut out another 5-6 lbs.

[Dec 19, 2015]
Mark Wingard

Strength:

Brain on the rear Fox shock, stability of the 29er wheels, turning ability, decent component mix

RS front fork, paint job, stock tires

Rider summary: 43 years old, 5'11", 180lbs, riding for almost 20 years on Cannondale's mostly.

I am coming from a 2008 Cannondale carbon Scalpel that was a 26" bike. That bike listed at $4000 when new and I bought at season end for $3000. My 2015 Epic in a large size listed at $3100 and I bought at season end (in August) for just over $2300. It is a much better handling, turning, ride over anything bike that has made me a faster rider overnight. That Scalpel was a great bike, but now I ride better, faster and arguably safer than the 26" bike. All this for $700 less (granted it is aluminum!!!). Anyways, wanted to do this after getting about 50hrs of ride time on it.

My 30 ride tuneup consisted of tightening the rear hub, truing a slight wobble in the rear rim, tightening the headset and slight adjustments on the derailleurs. Gearing is spot on for the 36/22 crankset and the suspension is great in the rear, ok in the front (compared to the excellent Lefty Carbon fork with Fox RLC internals).

The weaknesses I mention are as follows:

Reba RL is an ok fork. My pressures for the sag were below the recommended pressures listed on the fork so check before you go out and find that it is rock hard. After some time and break in, the fork is very good with the rebound and compression adjustments, but is not what I would call plush. A good fork, not great.

The paint job on the new bike was great looking (black with red highlights). I do see that it has scratched and scuffed easily after some good use over the last few months. Par for the course on a mountain bike, but not the same quality as the old Cannondale. Just on observation on my part.

The stock tires are great for racing, but for XC riding the Fast Tracks just don't have enough grip, especially when it gets slick. Fortunately, I sliced my rear tire (2.0) on a rocky trail to the point that I replaced it. I moved the front tire (2.2) to the rear and got a more aggressive tire for the front. I am more confident now with turning and avoiding washouts, but the rear stock tire will be replaced next year. Consider yourself warned on the stock tires!!!

All in all, a great bike, one I would buy again or recommend to a friend.

[Aug 23, 2015]
kwsmithphoto

Strength:

Rear suspension and stiff frame. Perfect FS bike for Shimano haters. Good climber for such a tall, long travel bike. The Fox rear damper/spring that's unique to this bike (2013 model) works well but there's no apparent upgrade path. Fantastic on the downhills - the faster you go the more stable it gets, but that can suck you in to a nasty mistake (yes, I've face planted over the front).

The Avid Elixr brakes are powerful but often quite noisy, and the low speed modulation is spectacularly awful. They'll stop on a dime but not on a quarter. The tires really don't like hardpack with a thin layer of crushed gravel, which is unfortunately common around here in the Sacramento area.They do work well in loose terrain though but the rear tire is way to big for the frame, there's virtually no mud clearance at all. The Fox Tala fork is light and fairly plush but isn't very stiff, it's about as firm as a fully cooked noodle. #3 on my upgrade list, after the brakes and tires.

This is the 2013 model, which has a version of the Fox Tala fork, and an all SRAM and AVID drivetrain. Newer models use some Shimano stuff, better brakes, better tires, an arguably better RockShox fork, and through-frame cable runs in the front triangle. Anyway, thanks to a bad motorcycle injury (2, actually) I have less than 500 miles on a 2.5 year old bike. I'm fully healed now, just in time for late summer and early fall rides.

What do I think of it? I love it, despite it's faults. The generic bottom bracket failed after just a couple of rides, though I don't have any issues with the hubs (yet). The 2x10 drivetrain is a perfect setup for me, though the cassette doesn't shift very fast. I might try the new Shimano 10 gear cassette. Enough about hardware. It's all good but there's room for improvement.

This is a VERY fun trail bike! It climbs well but really shines on the downhills and flats. Rock garden in your way? Just keep hammering and let the bike do it's thing. Those big wheels roll over pretty much anything without slowing you down very much, so keep your eyes well down the trail and go. The bike seems to reward your trust - within reason you can pretty much ignore many terrain features that would literally stop a 26" hardtail, just stay on the "power" and let it flow beneath you. Truly amazing.

I see they've made some nice improvements and dropped the price for the 2015/2016 models, so if you're looking for something tried and true that's also new, seriously consider this bike!

Rocky Mountain Element (mid-1990's version with many upgrades)

[Jul 13, 2015]
T.J. WERTH
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

I agree with all the positive reviews on this bike. This was likely the first purchase I have ever made that far exceeded my expectations. I had a nice FS bike before this and I loved it, but as soon as I got on the EPIC I set personal best times at every trail I ride...it was amazing. I love it. Everything works as advertised.

I hate to even list a weakness...but I did swap out the handlebars for narrower ones before my first ride. If you ride on tight trails the really wide bars would be a problem (at least for me).

If your thinking about this bike, you don't need to hesitate. It flies...it climbs...it's what a mountain bike should be.

Trek EX7, Motobecane Fantom Pro DS,

[Jun 29, 2014]
Jim M

Strength:

This climbs like a billygoat and handles the trail chatter without issue. The components work without issue and moving from the small front ring to the big ring is quick and accurate. Brakes are flawless.

None.

This is my second Specialized bike. Moving to the Epic Comp, I instantly increased speed, agility and confidence on the trail. If in trouble, I just lift the front wheel and the thing rolls over anything. Tires stick to the Michigan dirt like velcro. The rear shock is surprisingly quick to engage and softens the hits and landings. Getting used to the two ring setup up front was quick and now I frequently use the entire gear range. I was told that Michigan was not full suspension territory, not so, this bike tears up the trails. The added weight isn't even noticed. Buy one.

[May 17, 2014]
Leslie Choquette

Strength:

Climbs like a mountain goat. Rocket ship on the flats.

Going from a 2006 Epic, I'm not used to the wider handlebars. I may have to have them cut down a little for narrow spots, if I can't adjust my technique.

I've been riding a 2006 Epic 26er (with 10,000 miles on it and multiple rebuilds), and I can't believe the difference in technology in 8 years. On the very first ride, I was climbing more easily and riding faster. This is an amazingly great bike.

[Mar 09, 2014]
Adi

Strength:

gosh! this bike is awesome!!! very fast and stiff, ilove this bike.

compare my last full susp bike, i found this bike no weakness

im using 29er Epic Alu Comp and i'd upgrade it to Sram XO with Rockshox SID World Cup

[Jun 11, 2013]
Big Jim

Strength:

Epic comp 29er

Rider Age 41- weight 75kg - height 5ft 9 - bike size Medium.

Ok , having rode Specialized Hardtail 26ers since 1990 I was reluctant to splash out £2600 for a heavier full sus bike. My riding style is XC and with the exception of a few alpine events most of my trails are bridleways around the Dales and Pennines.
I eventually decided on the epic over the stumpy carbon and weighing in at just under 28lb it's a full 4lb heavier than my last bike. I upgraded the brakes to Hope X2 with the tech levers and married them up with 160 floating rotors.
There are so many positives about this bike. The brain works instantaneously in fact you would hardly notice the shock working at all. It's such a smooth ride. Gearing is great although the 2-10 will take a little getting used to. The rock shox Reba RL are awesome,very responsive. The bike corners great and on road is very fast. However it's not until you take her off road that you truly appreciate just how good this bike is. Fast, nimble, comfy, agile I could go on. The 29ers ride over much of the little lumps n bumps that my Hardtail would throw me about on. Love it

none yet, I've only done 350 on it so far ( in 2 weeks ) although I didn't give the brakes chance to impress. I upgraded to Hope Tech 2 X2s immediately. Will probably get Hoops on stan rims in the near future

Superb piece of kit. Fast on road sections and brilliant off road. Its a Cross country riding machine that you can comfortably use for the all day rides. Worth every penny

[Mar 11, 2013]
Reillyj
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Blazingly fast on flats, 2x10, climbing machine, black/grey paint scheme is badass, descends like an AM bike, fork is perfect, I could go on forever...

X-9 rear derailuer isn't exactly impressive, mine ghost shifts, but that could be an adjustment thing. Tires are not so great for where I ride.

This bike is good, too good. I've been lucky enough to ride and own some very nice bikes, this is hands down my favorite. I've sat here for 45 minutes trying to figure out a way to explain how it is so good, but I really don't know. Simply put, once you get it dialed, its a masterpiece. If you like to fart around and cruise the trails, get a trail bike. If you only care about covering lots of ground, get a hardtail. If you are gonna bomb the downhills and hike up, buy a downhill bike. If you wanna climb slow and bomb the downhills, get an all mountain bike. If you want to be blazingly fast everywhere, buy an epic. I can cook on the flats and climbs, yet I don't even need to drop the seat post to bomb a downhill section. How the f$#@ did specialized do it?

Trance, fsrxc, stumpjumper, blur.