Salsa Cycles Big Mama 29er Full Suspension

• Scandium, custom-drawn tubeset, 7 forged scandium parts
  • Forged, then CNC-machined, 1-piece 7000-series aluminum linkage w/ helicoil inserts
  • Fox RP2 air shock
  • Enduro sealed cartridge bearings
  • Designed around 501mm axle to crown 29'er fork
  • Dual driveside bearings at lower main pivot
  • 135mm rear spacing
  • 18” frame weighs 7lbs with Fox RP2 air shock
  • Color: Orange Funk

• User Reviews (23)

jimmy   [May 28, 2012]
    Strength:

big, strong, light and comfortable

its not quite as a good a £7000 S-works epic - so for the cash basically nothing

3 years I have had 9 bikes this is by far my favourite the quality of the ride from salsa and the orange colour is wicked totally love it for racing and trail riding really comfortable and a great ride - get one

MagicCarpet   Cross Country Rider [Oct 05, 2011]
    Strength:

Does everything very well.

I think post mounts are a bad idea for frames and forks alike.

I couldn't be happier. 71 deg head angle steers brilliantly. Long wheel base climbs brilliantly. High BB clears everything (just about). The rear suspension design is a stroke of genius. I ride this bike on pretty long rides and it brings me home feeling great. Handles rough and smooth, flat or steep, single trails and fire trails. Occasionally I could do with another 20mm up front, but the bike handles everything. As I said, I couldn't be happier.

coacheye   Cross Country Rider [Jun 10, 2011]
    Strength:

Smooth ride, great geometry, rides like a 26er.

none to mention, chain-suck issues, but cure with a shimano crank and 2x9 set set up. Lose the big ring and get a bashguard, problem solved.

If you can find one, buy it. Great ride for long days out on various terrain settings.

Similar Products Used: Windsor Cliff 29er hardtail
    MrHyde   Weekend Warrior [Jun 01, 2011]
    Strength:

Stiff, even in the XL size, relatively light, simple, looks sweet! Rear shock ratio is high (2:1) which makes for a perfect frame for a clyde.

I needed to have more head tube. Maybe not for you, but I needed too much spacer. I'm near the top end of fitting on an XL tho. It would have been sweet to have a tapered head tube as my reba steerer flexes like mad with a long steerer and 1.5" of spacers under the stem. A shame considering how flex free the rest of the bike is. The only way around this is a heavier fork.

This thing flat out hauls with the lockout engaged! I don't find the front end to be slack or chopperish at all with 120 out front, it carves plenty tight and have not had any hint of flop on the climbs. I have no idea what my build weighs, but likely under 30lbs, which is xc race territory for a 225lb oaf like me. I am running a Maxxis Ardent up front and Icon out back tubeless on the charger pro's and it flat out hauls. I have not experienced the chain suck, but that's because I don't have the deus cranks that caused it! One thing I am getting used to is the rear suspension. With sag set right it feels firm, even without the lockout. I think this is intentional, as the suspension design is prone to bobbing, and it will with mashing. Until you flip that lever - then it's just a rocket ship! Stand and mash the hills and just go sailing up. I think the 29" wheels take enough of the edge off stuff to make up for the very firm damping so it all just plain works good despite no bling patented suspension wizardry with fancy name. I am definitely looking forward to a summer on this thing! Oh, and by the way, ZERO "adaptation time" required for 29er!

Similar Products Used: None! First 29er xc bike, last bike was a 26er 5" faux bar built sweet.
    mtb_dood   Weekend Warrior [May 13, 2011]
    Strength:

Killer looks and attention to small details. Smooth ride with great geometry.

Paint durability and chain suck issues with Truvativ cranks.

Despite the chainsuck issues it is a very fun bike to ride. Not the lightest frame out there but not too heavy, my bike weighs about 28 lbs for a large.

TCRunner   Cross Country Rider [Feb 02, 2011]
    Strength:

STYLE! The color is fantastic. Graphics are awesome. Geo is cozy for all day riding. Thompson setback helps.

Chain suck. Paint scuffs so easily.

It's a great all-day rider. Lockout and pro-pedal firm it up so it climbs great! Slow speed handling is very comfortable. Buy it if you are looking for a comfortable ride that stands out from the Fisher's and Specialized's.

Similar Products Used: Only FS. I do ride an 08 Mamasita.
    davthedude   Cross Country Rider [Dec 14, 2010]
    Strength:

Looks great rides better

lets see None! maybe one you cant get them any more

there are just some things that work right and this is one of them.looks good rides great tad heavy but so am i. durable who wants to not be able use their bike for months while waiting for warranty frames and swing arms? Gary you listening?

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher hifi 29
    jay dee   Cross Country Rider [Nov 07, 2010]
    Strength:

tight geometry, plush... lite (for a FS 29er)

????

First FS bike I've been on on years..... soooo much fun. Fox RP2 shock is smooth enough for moderate hits and can be set for nearly no pedal bob. Geometry is tight and works really well to make the 29in wheels seem more maneuverable. Climbs better than expected for a full-susser and handles techy sections with style. Perfect for XC/all day riders who want to be on a 29er but also want to have a plusher ride than possible with a hard-tail.

Similar Products Used: not so many
    alexkraemer   Weekend Warrior [Oct 11, 2010]
    Strength:

Great climbing, stiff rear end
    Landing from jumps is plusher than a mattress

Not one of the lighter frames (7lbs)
    Had to file paint off the post mounts for the calipers to sit straight

Setup as a 2x9 with a used drivetrain and my chain is too long, but ZERO chainsuck. Seriously folks, skip the damn 44T ring and go 2x9. Unless you run of gears at 36x11, in which case go buy a 36er. 120mm fork slows climbing a bit, but makes the downhills melt away. Propedal is needed for us mashers, but eventually my cadence will smooth out and I'll probably stop using it. Small bump compliance is still rough - if the shock doesn't break in by next season, I'm sending it to Push to get worked on. Overall - great bike, now it's time to lighten things up and make the climbing easier.

Similar Products Used: first FS bike
    Out of Bounds   Weekend Warrior [Oct 07, 2010]
    Strength:

Price can't be beat. Bike is and feels solid. No mush in the linkage. Fun bike to ride and the rear suspension set up is simple and easy to dial in with the front suspenstion. Did i mention price?

Crankset causes chain suck. Also chainring bolts loosen easily and i've replaced them all. Bike climbs well but it is heavy and feels heavy. Stay seated take propedal off and spin up the hills, but don't redline trying to go fast. Paint chips easily. Should have spec'd a 185 front rotor.

I have not ridden a full suspension bike since my 99' FSR XC and after years of rigid singlespeeding (29'er)wanted an alternate 'bike' for riding technical terrain and to try riding a FS bike again. Bike descends great and rolls over stuff with aplomb. Handles well. After riding a SS rigid bike, had to get used to seated climbing and spinning to maximize the full suspension, but it does feel heavy going 'up', but flies going down and on the flats. I imagine as parts fail, I will lighten it up, but the Speedgoat build was too good to pass up. If lighter i can see racing this bike, but an XL with speedgoat build weighs in at 32.8 pounds. Either the bike or my gut needs to lose a few pounds to rate it higher.

Similar Products Used: Tested a gary fisher 29" FS bike.