Pivot Cycles Mach 429 Trail 29er Full Suspension

Pivot Cycles Mach 429 Trail 29er Full Suspension

• Full carbon frame featuring leading edge carbon fiber materials and Pivot’s proprietary hollow core internal molding technology.
  • New 12 x 148mm Boost rear spacing for maximum stiffness and control.
  • 29-inch wheels for the fastest laps and superior rollover in technical terrain.
  • Easy to use mix of external and internal cable routing with Pivot’s internal cable port system.
  • Internal dropper post compatible.

[Feb 07, 2018]
Phoenix864

Strength:

Climbs great, descends well. The suspension is very efficient while pedaling, but also maintains a bottomless feel on the downs. Technical climbing grip is not compromised in the name of efficiency. The frame is full carbon, and slightly cheaper then competitors. One thing to note, however, is that Pivot's trail and enduro frames are built for stiffness and durability, not for maximum weight savings. That's a plus for me, but if you want to be as light as possible a different company might server you better. The short wheelbase, combined with slightly longer chainstays keep the ride balanced, leaning a bit towards the lively end of the spectrum. The overall riding position is relaxed and rather upright, keeping discomfort to a minimum.

The slacker seat tube angle may be a turn-off for some, but I personally don't mind it. Another thing to keep in mind is the short reach and lack of official Di2 compatibility. I would personally recommend test-riding before purchasing more then some other bike because of these quirks. That said, I really enjoy my 429T. I would say that the the final bike is more then the sum of its parts.

Purchased:
Used
[Mar 14, 2016]
Eric Keahey
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Stiff, agile climber and confident descender, light, ability to run 27.5+

Seat stays are fat, I struck them at first with the heel of my shoes, but after a few rides have learned to keep my feet straight on the upstroke. I've thought about swapping my crank brothers cleats to the lower float setting but looks like I've figured it out.

My prior bike was a Titus Racer-X 29er with I9's, Hope Tech X2's, and X0 2x10. It's 80mm front and rear, an xc endurance workhorse. I broke the rear triangle last spring and couldn't get parts - Titus went under and got bought shortly after Cocalis left to start Pivot.

I demo'd most competitive bikes (ibis ripley ls, tall boy, Niner rip and jet, others), other bigger travel 27.5 bikes like the Bronson. I ended up deciding that anything without 29er wheels didn't feel right to me. My second favorite demo was the 429SL followed closely by the Tallboy. I got the 429 trail with X01 and the LES dropper.

I was unsure about getting the SRAM Guide brakes- the reason I had the hopes was the state of SRAM's braking years ago. The Guides are great, good modulation and plenty of power. The 1x11 setup is great, I've heard arguments to keep a double on a any trail bike that's not on a race diet but I like the simplicity, and even in Colorado's front range, I have enough gearing for climbing. I did do a fire road descent a few days ago and was pegged at 36 mph- couldn't spin enough to go faster; didn't NEED to go faster either.

As for the suspension and overall ride of the bike, the reviews are phenomenal, and I won't break the trend. What I can say is, every time I get on this bike, I climb something I've never made it up, descend something I've never made it down, break a personal Strava record, etc. I haven't tried out 27.5+ on it yet, but my shop will soon have a set of demo wheels to try out and I'll update when I give them a spin.

Don't listen to the reviews, but if this bike is anything near what you think is your target bike is, ride it, hard, and judge for yourself.

Above, most similar competitive 29ers and a handful of 27.5

[Feb 24, 2016]
Andrey

Strength:

Stiff, light, amazing mid-travel geometry. Very playful bike, prompts to be ridden hard.
Some have not liked new Boost axles, I'm a big fan. 34 Fox fork with 110 boost feels as stiff if not stiffer than 36 Fox 15mm

Not a weakness, but a suggestion, don't get this bike without a dropper if you want to use it to its full potential.

Pivot has nailed the "do-it-all" 29er.

Pivot 429

[Feb 08, 2016]
chase

Strength:

Down Hill solid pedaling platform

could be lighter but the weight isn't noticeable

The pedal platform is solid no noticeable bobbing and doesn't bog down in berms. Climbing traction is great. The bike encourages you to jump stuff and take complicated lines

Specialized Camber, Trek Fuel ex, Trek top fuel, specialized epic