Niner Bikes R.I.P. 9 29er Full Suspension

Sporting longer travel then the cross-country focused Jet 9, the Niner RIP 9 treats you with more composure when the trail gets unruly. By using Niner’s CVA twenty-niner specific suspension design and extensive hydrofoming, forging, and CNC machining, the RIP 9 keeps weight on the lighter side while offering an extremely efficient and plush ride. If you’ve only got room for one bike, the RIP 9 will fill the void nicely with competent handling for every variety of trail .

John U   Weekend Warrior [Feb 17, 2016]
Strength:

Really well dialled bike.
Great fun to ride

Support from Niner and Niner Tech was non existent.
Support for information on bearing replacement was non existent (Thanks though must go to the MTBR Niner Forum which provided the information I needed).

I loved riding this bike. I bought it new, built it up and didn't ride it for a while due to too many bikes. I signed up for a 24 hour last year and was intending to do it on my RIP.
Part way through my training I lost a pivot bolt on a ride. The bolt was a really unusual size so I contacted Niner to see where in the world I might be able to get a replacement bolt. No response, EVER. Eventually, after repeated attempts to contact Niner I sourced the closest thing I could find.
Turns out the bolt hadn't worked loose, it had snapped off the end of the pivot axle. The step down nature of the pivot axle left the point of the axle where the pivot bolt ended to be quite thin. Way to thin to making it out of alloy! Why make it out of alloy? That's what the machine shop asked me when I went to get multiple replacement pivot axles made out of stainless steel (tried contacting Niner to see if they had replacement axles but no response again).
With the custom machined axles complete I then went to reassamble the suspension. No directions on how to do this from Niner. Thank goodness for the MTBR Niner forum. All the right advice provided.
Bike back together. No problem. Continue my 24 hour solo training. After 8 months with of training (with a 6 week gap in the middle due to pivot bolt/axle issues) I send my bike off to the mechanic to give it a final once over prior to the race. Get a call from him. The frame is cracked in the suspension linkage. With the my experiences to this point and with all that training under my belt I believed I wasn't going to have time to rectify the RIP before the race. Purchased a Trek Fuel Ex 9.8.

Despite the problems I have had this bike would have been awesome if Niner had offered support. It was a complete change of character for them. They went from sending me a spare derailleur hanger for nothing to no response under any conditions. I understand things can fail, what is important for me is how the situation is dealt with when they do. I have owned a number of Ventanas over the years and the experience is completely different to how things ended up with Niner.

Niner have a great product. They really need to lift their game with support.

Similar Products Used: Trek Fuel Ex 9.8
Cpap   Cross Country Rider [Feb 12, 2014]
Strength:

Smooth confidence inspriring suspension, loves to jump, solid handling

Not the most efficient (pedalling) full suspension bike I have had, tamale paint chips way too easy, little on the heavy side (but so am I...good match I suppose)

This bikes rolls off drops and jumps like no other bike I have ever ridden...very fun. Have had one creaking pivot that was a lttle loose; tightened it up and creak is gone. Not unusual for a multi-pivot bike. The handling is pecise but you will have to muscle it around in the tight twisty stuff. My biggest issue is the Manitou Tower pro fork; I haven't been able to get it tuned for my 260 lb chasis. Upgraded to the stiffest spring and it is either too soft or it beats me to death on the little stuff; haven't hit the sweet spot; hope there is one. Niner customer support is great; sent me touch-up paint without question. Keeping the chips touched up is a full-time job; I suspect I will give up at some point.

DPF   All Mountain Rider [Nov 13, 2013]
Strength:

Quality weldings / Looks / climbing / descending / feel / build kit package / suspension feel / riding position / noiseless / rarely wheelies / CVA / solid / stiff / 130mm fork / 125mm rear suspension / agile / nimble

color options / weight? (neither light nor heavy) / no internal routing / no option to choose dropper post in build kit / unable to install stealth dropper / no fox option for build kit 1 & 3 star / bent down tube limits dropper options / wider bars will be nicer / some pedal bob before suspension settles (once settled no bob) / Grips /

I changed my 26" bike after many years due to lack of riding, and I upgraded to a RIP 9 XT build. I must say that the bike is amazing and the feel is great, I always feel in control of the situation and when the trail gets nasty the only thing I must do is release the great XT brakes and the bike runs over the rough terrain with confidence.
One thing I noticed right away was the plushness, linearity and feel of the Rockshox suspension, most people have told me the downside of RS and how Fox is superior. I must say, I think both suspensions are great and that the progressiveness of the RS is better than the Fox in my opinion. I would have purchased the bike wether the suspension was Fox or RS.

I ride AM/Trail and I think the switch to 29" suits me, I get more traction uphill and its easier to climb in rough terrain. The ride downhill is smoother, more relax, and more confident than a 26". The increment in travel to 125/130mm (R/F) for the 2014 model made a difference in my purchasing choice since I ride rough trails.

The bike feels light and natural in the air and its easy to maneuver jumps.

I tried a Yeti SB95 XT before I decided to purchase the RIP and I have to say that they are both amazing bikes. In my opinion the RIP is a better all rounder, better climbing without loosing too much ground in the downhill. May also require less maintenance than the SB95. For 2014 the RIP 9 Build Kit has 10mm longer travel upfront and 2mm shorter on the back than the SB95.

Similar Products Used: Santa Cruz Tallboy 1 XT/ Santa Cruz Superlight 29 Sram X5 / Yeti SB95 XT / Diamondback Recoil SLX
Earthpig   Cross Country Rider [Aug 22, 2013]
Strength:

Solidly built, strong frame; CVA pedaling characteristics; geometry

Weight, amount of rear wheel travel, BB height

Reviewing the 2012 RIP. Picked it up this spring on closeout at $1200. I like this bike. I want to love this bike, but I don't think that will happen. It's good at everything - good climber, good descender, plenty stiff, etc..., but it simply doesn't "stand out" in any particular category. Coming off a Transition Bandit 29, the RIP is probably a better climber, but the Bandit was a far better descending bike. I like the head tube and seat tube angles, but this bike would shine with shorter chainstays and a lower BB height with the 140 fork. Bottom line, it's a good bike, but it's a few changes from being a great bike. (Which changes I think were made for the 2013.)

Similar Products Used: Jet 9, Transition Bandit 29
scvkurt03   All Mountain Rider [Aug 13, 2013]
Strength:

Weight, stiffness, aesthetics, descends well, pedals well, great all-around.

More colors available? Kind of like the look of the old RIP a little better, I guess...nitpicking here.

I bought this bike to replace my old RIP, which I was able to sell at a good price 6 months after buying it. This bike has all of the strengths of the old RIP, and I think it's a bit better at everything, across the board. It's lighter, it's stiffer, it pedals better, it descends better, and is at home in many different types of terrain. I'm setting PRs on 2,000ft climbs - smoother or techy, doesn't matter- and it's loads of fun in my local bike park, though the park is on the tamer side.

As my riding progresses, I'm leaning more and more towards bikes whose strengths lie on the downhill side. This is not that bike - it's very well balanced, and definitely the right bike for 90% of what I ride: steep, techy or smooth ascents followed by rocky, rutted, high and slow speed descents. Its weight (mine's about 27 lbs.) makes it easier to maneuver than the previous RIP, especially on slow, technical climbs and descents. Perhaps the only bike I might give this bike up for would be the new WFO, set to be announced in a few weeks' time, though that's only if there's no big difference in pedaling.

Dan   Weekend Warrior [Apr 04, 2013]
Strength:

Stable and plush ride, Sturdy, Climbing, Descending, EVERYTHING.

The finish seems to be easily scratched... but I could say this same thing about my last bike so who cares.

This is my fourth mountain bike in 18 years of riding and it is absolutely the best bike I have ever ridden. I demoed many bikes before settling on the Rip9 last spring and it has been a year full of glee since. My previous bike was a 26" dual suspension rig and this new bike is more nimble, yet stable and generally a better ride all the way around. I have purposely ridden the same mountainous trails over and over that I used to ride with my previous bikes and the Rip9 puts all of them to shame. It climbs better, maneuvers better, and descends the gnarliest of trails with ease.

The shop that built my Rip9 set me up with a [38 26] front chainring and a [11-36] rear cassette, maybe to avoid that "chain suck" issue other riders have posted about. At first I was nervous about not having that 3rd ring but after a year I do not miss it at all and would highly recommend this setup. I also recommend good hydraulic disc brakes. You are going to need them to slow yourself down after you look at your GPS and see that you are descending tight and twisty singletrack at a frightening speed without even realizing it!

Similar Products Used: Cannondale, GT, Trek, Specialized, Giant
Jeff Dillon   Cross Country Rider [Feb 26, 2013]
Strength:

Looks great. Climbs well with the sram 1 by 11 drivetrain I put on it. 32t chain ring up front. Rear wheel stays planted when I put the hammer down. Bike is incredibly stable on the short but bumpy downhill sections I have on my local trails and it handles drops up to 3 feet or so effortlessly. Corners and is snappy like some smaller wheel bikes. Very stiff all around.

Noticing some minor creaking coming from the bike. I have not pinpointed where from nor do I care. This bike is amazing!

This bike is awesome. I'm a larger rider at 5' 11 and 200 lbs. So far in the short time I have had this bike it has handled everything I can through at it within my skill level effortlessly. I'm sure as I progress, there will be nothing this bike can not handle. I built mine right around 26 lbs and man did it cost me to build it that light but it has been worth every penny. I am upset when I have to get off the bike and head home to eat dinner and all I can think about is my next ride. I love it.

Jimmy the Hoff   All Mountain Rider [Feb 10, 2013]
Strength:

Well balanced, stiff, sturdy, fantastic geometry, seriously fun to ride

a little heavy, paint scratches easily (common complaint on this blog - don't really care though)

I moved to the 29er world about a 1.5 years ago. I started buy building an EMD 9 for racing here in Korea, fell in love with the geometry; completely stopped riding my 26er trail bike - I just felt better and more in control on the EMD.

Fast forward 1.5 years - hard tails can wear a (old) guy out... I did a lot of research on bikes - the blog here seriously informed my decision as well as some other websites. I decided to build the RIP 9 using JensonUSA (awesome company - $2250 for everything). Although the geometry is more slack - I feel even more in control of my bike on the descent. the CVA suspension is no joke - its not HT efficient; but, pretty darn close.

Similar Products Used: Yeti 575 (2005), GT Peace 9er, EMD 9 (2010), Trek Superfly 100 and Rumblefish (2012),
Tillers_Rule   Cross Country Rider [Dec 26, 2012]
Strength:

Comfortable, looks nice, efficient, unique

High stand over height

This is a short-term review, as I've had the bike about 4 months now. I've been riding mtn bikes for ~20 years now. My last bike, I had for 8 years and I really saw very few faults with it. Four months of riding the RIP 9 has given me new perspective on how a mtn bike should handle. This is my first 29" wheeled bike and it did take some getting used to. Now that I'm used to it, every ride seems better than the previous. Drops offs, up to a few feet are handled extremely well, occasional I wondered if I even left the ground because the landing was so soft. Climbing is efficient as well, with little to no noticeable peddle bob. The slow speed stability is quite good, I can make all the same tight, rocky, technical sections I've been riding though on my 26" bike. I went with 730mm handlebars and for my size, these are perfect (6'4, 200lbs). Makes the whole bike feel so much more aggressive and comfortable that the shorter bars on my old bike. I may be upgrading the rear disk to 180mm (up from 160) as the 160 can feel a little week for high speed down hill sections. I listed unique as a strength because I haven't seen another RIP 9 out on the trails I ride, I've seen very few 29" bikes at all.