Niner Bikes JET 9 29er Full Suspension

Serious good looks, lighter weight, more CVA travel, the JET 9 has all the technical refinements that define an XC dominator. Carbon wonderbikes are great, but you’ll appreciate the new technologies that we utilize in our alloy frames, too. They are dream bikes within reach – Airformed alloy with as many custom details as our RDO line, something you can log big miles on, day in and out.

The Niner that loves putting the pedal to the metal – The JET 9 is for riders who like to get there sooner or ride just a bit further. With over 30 glowing media reviews for ride quality and handling - the new JET 9 takes these characteristics and ups the ante with increased travel, a 142x12mm rear end and airformed aluminum alloy tubes that redefine performance and reduce frame weight.

spartus   Cross Country Rider [Mar 01, 2015]
Strength:

Looks, quick front end/steering, stable, frame feels solid for being an aluminum extra large.

Wish the top tube dipped down just a bit more-I occasionally bang the inside of my knee in technical sections. Cable routing on outside of top tube just adds to the issue of knee interference. Back end of the bike is long and does not feel like a xc whip.

Picked up an XL from Pricepoint on closeout. Very nice price for the build so it get 5 stars on value. I got the tamale red seen in the photo. Good looking bike.

So far, this feels a bit more like a xc/trail bike I suppose due to the long chain stays. I think a 120 mm fork at some point will really balance out the bike. It came with a 100 mm Sid which is impressive for its weight and travel. I occasionally do a race but didn't want a straight up racer, so I'm pleased with the capabilities.

The bike is all XT with Arch EX wheels and it feels really solid and tight.
Strangely, the Arch wheels and tubeless tires are lighter than my old 26er wheel/tire combo, but I feel like I have less torque or range per gear in my legs. I guess the bigger diameter wheels add a bit of burden. I find myself clicking through gears more often than my 26er. Very minor issue.

So far, I've cleaned and cleared technical spots on my local trails that I never made on my 26er. Very cool and fun! The bike is fast too. I move through sections quicker than the 26er, so I do need to pay attention that I don't get in over my head.

I'd say the recent reviews for the al Jet 9 in Dirt Rag and the carbon Jet in Bike were very accurate in that the bike is not really a straight up racer. It has some trail ability, which is a plus for me. If it wasn't for the knee/top tube issue, I'd give 5 stars.

Similar Products Used: Demo'ed Pivot, Salsa, Niner, Santa Cruz, Trek, Yeti, Rocky Mountain, Giant in mostly 29ers but some 27.5 in the last couple years. The carbon Pivot 429 is the best bike I've ever ridden, but the cost was well above my budget.
pascale27   Cross Country Rider [Jun 22, 2014]
Strength:

very nimble for a 29FS bike, Niner quality and attention to detail, cheaper than the carbon models

Niner doesn't offer a 120mm fork in any of the build kits

I've been looking to add a 29 FS to complement my Misfit Dissent 1x10 HT for a awhile. I've been ogling the Jet 9 for a few years but was planning on "settling" on a Trek Superfly FS 8. But when push came to shove I decided the geo on the Niner was a better fit and if I spending this much money I should get exactly what I want.

The bike doesn't disappoint, the hydroformed AL frame looks identical as the reg Carbon Jet 9. I purchased the frame separately and built it up myself. At purchase time (Nov '13) they didn't offer any builds with a 120mm fork. The bike built 2x10 with SLX cranks, FD, and brakes. XT Shadow Plus RD handles the bulk of the work. I was able to get some take off Bontrager Mustang wheels cheap and set them up tubeless with Conti Mtn Kings 2.2. Suspension is a 120mm Sid RCT3 fork and Monarch RT3 rear shock 100mm. Enough about the build.

The bike feels very nimble on singletrack, holds a great line when ripping thru turns, and the extra travel up front gobbles up rocky sections at places like Wissahickon or Bear Creek. Leaving the front and rear suspension in the middle section the majority of the time offers pretty good small bump/root performance, excellent climbing ability, and still enough handle bigger hits. The longer wheelbase (than my HT) offers a bit more stability on descents, this bike is a blast to descend on. Only on tighter turns or switchbacks is the longer wheelbase a hindrance.

Overall I'm very pleased with the performance of this bike and feel the 120mm fork makes this a more versatile bike while still maintain it's XC roots

Similar Products Used: Trek Superfly 6 (demo), GF Hi-Fi (friends)
Ken Cox   Cross Country Rider [Oct 13, 2013]
Strength:

Incredible suspension performs well in every gear and doesn't move when climbing off the saddle. Beautiful air formed frame with a rear thru axle and 100mm of rear travel. Incredible quality and attention to detail even though this is NIner's lower price point XC full-suspension.

Heavier than the carbon model, though much cheaper.

My 40+ year old lower back was bothering me on long rides and I was long overdue for a tech update with my 10 year old 26 inch hardtail. I wanted an efficient XC full suspension with as many of the new industry tech improvements as possible, and I had a strict $3000 budget to work with. I'm also used to higher end components and performance and couldn't bring myself to dip below SLX level parts. After months of research and numerous test rides, I decided on the Niner. My arctic white 2014 Jet 9 started as a budget friendly 2 star build, but my LBS upgraded me to an XT rear derailleur and a 2x10 XT crankset. Everything else is SLX, which so far (odometer has 120 miles) have performed way beyond their price point - especially the brakes!

The frame itself is beautiful, and filled with artful air formed lines and intricate machined bits. The decals are tastefully understated, but there are some really nice details like a silver stripe of Niner logos under the top tube. Red annodization adorns the pivots and bottle bosses like little gems. It's a pretty bike, pure and simple.

This is my first 29er, and my first full suspension since the late 90s. Also my first bike with thru axles, a tapered head tube, tubeless tires and a 2x10 drivetrain, so I'm loving all the new (to me) technology. Even with the bike's conspicuous lack of carbon fiber, the ride is magic, and I never feel the bike's weight (around 29 lbs for my large with pedals). Instead, I blast across the roots and rocks which I used to have to pick my way through on my 26" hardtail. I easily climb the same roots hills which had me spinning out before. This bike is nothing short of a performance enhancing drug for me, and I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Similar Products Used: Trek Superfly, Giant Trance
Shmoo   All Mountain Rider [Sep 27, 2012]
Strength:

Climbing, cornering. Fast.

No big weakness to report.

I demo'd this bike for a day and put in 16 miles on my local trails that I know well. Nobby Nic f / Ignitor r. Set with the 100mm Reba. Even with the larger front tire than I'm used to, I was lapping faster than my personal ride (BMC SF29).
I believe Niner did a great job with the design. It reminded me of my old XC 26" ht bike, in both the cockpit and maneuverability - which says a lot, with it being a 29er. The best way I can describe it - I would forget that I'm on a 29er, until I start rolling over objects or feeling the grip in lean during the corners.
With the tire combination, this bike really, really took the high speed corners well. It strayed a little on the slower corners, but not much. Very efficient, superb climber. I would say the rear is perfect for climbing, if you can't stand the rut bounce of a hard tail or lock out rear. Not necessary to engage the ProPedal.
As with any XC layout, I was a bit closer to the front axle than I wanted to be ( HA with 90mm stem) - which would bring the rear end up on the faster, more technical descents. I believe this also had something to do with its hardtail characteristics, as well as the geo. But from my little experience, you can't get a dh out of an xc bike. It's a badass XC bike. I could see myself riding this thing all day, might get beat up a little on the way down, but being able to climb like this is worth it. I didn't notice the weight, but my bicep scale thinks it was ~28 lbs.

If you are looking for an XC bike, it would be silly to not test ride the Jet 9.

Similar Products Used: Redline D440, Niner EMD, Fisher Big Sur, BMC SF29.
mking   Cross Country Rider [Aug 21, 2012]
Strength:

very nimble, fast, great climber, goes over anything

a bit heavy compared to the 26" hard tail carbon bikes (duh!)

I demo'ed this bike at OTE in Sedona and fell immediately in love with it. It's fast, it climbs and of course rides over anything. I thought about getting a 1 X10 because I ride a SS often plus save on weight but in the end went with the 2 X 10 and am not regretting it. I am a female at 5'5" and I do not notice any slow starting or feel like the bike is too big. You can tell Niner put alot of effort into the geometry, some 29ers feel sluggish when turning, not this bike. I am definitely a 29er (and Niner) fan!

Similar Products Used: Santa Cruz Superlight, Santa Cruz classic Blur, Ellsworth Truth, Bianchi Sok SS
csledd281   Cross Country Rider [May 12, 2012]
Strength:

29er wheels roll over everything, FS doesn't slow you down and feels very comfortable, fitment is amazing

NONE!

My previous back was a Trek 4300 Disc, obviously 26inch wheels, hard tail, and 3x8 gearing. I purchased the Niner Jet 9 x7 Complete bike. I wanted to go to 29er and FS and this bike was highly recommended. I am 5'2" and a female and I have read a lot of posts saying short people can't ride 29ers and a lot saying we can. Let me tell you.. it fits PERFECT. I feel absolutely great on this bike. I purchased the small and my old Trek was actually a medium. The big wheels did not throw me off my game at all. The x7 complete bike comes with 2x10 which has really been the hardest thing to get used to. The granny gear is a bit harder and the shifters are completely different than my old bike, nothing bad though just takes time to get used to. I barely notice the extra power needed to get the big wheels going, the thing I really do notice is how powerful they are, once I get going they fly. I found myself going up hill riding over a group of roots that would have normally slowed me down to a crawl not even effecting the 29er wheels. I rode over a bundle of tree logs and it was as smooth as could be. I love everything about this bike and I already feel that it is making me a better and faster rider. I think the Jet9 X7 Complete is a great option if you are looking to get into a 29er FS bike, it may be a little more expensive than other brands that offer similar components, but the CVA really does feel great.

dboma   Weekend Warrior [Apr 08, 2012]
Strength:

Fast Fast Fast! It is an absolute rocket ship. Nimble, tight, no flex, comfortable geometries, light, rolls over everything and corners like it's on rails!

None. Well my tires, but they will be changed.

Having had a Giant Trance and loving the Maestro suspension I was inclined to try the Anthem and Anthem 29er. The Anthem is a very nice bike and you can get a lot of bike at an affordable price. However, I find the CVT as good as the Maestro for bump compliance, and it seems to track the ground better. As well I was determined to build a 1 X 10 set up and by the time the parts got swapped out to accommodate this I would be within a couple hundred dollars of the Jet9 build. I pulled the entire build off for $3400.00 with all new parts, and got a rig that is fast, plush, catered to exactly what I want, and a hell of a lot sexier than an Anthem. I couldn't be happier.

Similar Products Used: Anthem, Anthem X29 2
Ebo   Weekend Warrior [Mar 06, 2012]
Strength:

I got the 18" (I'm 5'8"; 155; with a long inseam and it fits great). Rides very much like a 26" and you don't feel like you are sitting on a unicycle. It's much lighter than I thought it would be and I'm able to get up and down almost everything that I couldn't before. This is a great bike.

None yet...

This bike had everything I was looking for and didn't break the bank. I got it from an LBS who picked it up from Niner after a demo exposition. Looks brand new.

Similar Products Used: Demo'd the Niner R.I.P. (also a great bike but I didn't need that much travel and didn't want the extra weight); also Demo'd Gary Fisher HiFi and newer Superfly; and 2011 Specialized Epic Comp....however for the money, I couldn't beat the JET. Old bike was a Gary Fisher Sugar 3 fs.
demontrey21   Weekend Warrior [Dec 19, 2011]
Strength:

Very smooth ride right from the start! It has a ton of power during acceleration even with the full suspension. It's my first full suspension bike and I was blown away by how well it handled through tight turns and over downhills covered in roots. It weighed just over 27lbs, but I was riding a Trek 29er hardtail and it fells much lighter than it. I do not have as much experienec riding as most of the others on this website, but I do put in about 30-40 miles/week and I can't imagine needing or wanting anothe bike for a long time. This bike has lived up to all of my expectations and more, Niner is an AWESOME company and makes an even better product!!!!

Can't find any yet!

I am a novice rider that is quickly becoming familiar with this sport. I can't imagine that I could find a bike better suited for me and the type of riding I'm doing, especilly for the money I spent. The big name companies will probably always dominate the market especially for beginner riders, but this comapny and this bike should be considered right up there with all the big names! NINER KICKS ASS!!!!