Lenz Sport Lunchbox 29er Full Suspension

Lenz Sport Lunchbox 29er Full Suspension

• 6 inches travel front and rear
  • Works with 140mm and 150mm fork (20mm through axle or QR15 recommended)
  • 12mm x 150mm rear axle
  • ISCG tab
  • 30.9 seat post fits most common dropper posts

[Oct 14, 2013]
goose8
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Climbing, descending, maneuvarability

Price

I can't speak to the previous reviewer's issues with his frame, but mine has been a game changer. I bought the 'Box sight unseen without a test ride based on the recommendations of some folks whose opinions I trust. The primary motivator was a friend of an old riding buddy from back in the day who has never steered me wrong, and in this case it was some of the best advice I've ever gotten. I liked my Rumblefish, but it was just a tool to get me where I needed to go. I could blow through pretty much anything, but it wasn't great for choosing lines and it was tough in tight singletrack. I also have issues with drops- the front end was a bear to keep up and just didn't inspire much confidence (the Sultan was way better on that front). Finally, the much-hyped DRCV shock worked well, but at the cost of traction when climbing. I usually ran mine wide open to keep the rear wheel on the ground in loose terrain.

It's been a month since I got my Lunch Box, and I'm hitting drops and taking lines I never imagined myself doing. This bike inspires so much confidence it's scary. I looked at the geometry on paper and wasn't convinced by the BB height, angles, etc... but I took a leap and am so glad I did. I was pretty sure it would descend well, but to be honest I've been just as impressed by its climbing. The best way to describe it is tenacious- as long as you have the legs it just keeps going.

The only downside to this bike is the cost, but even that is reasonable considering where it's made and its pedigree. I got mine second-hand, but having ridden it I would have paid full price without batting an eye. It's that good. If you ever get the chance to ride one of these, take it! Be forewarned though, after you're done you'll probably sell your current ride.

Turner Sultan (TNT), Trek Rumblefish

[Aug 18, 2013]
Andrey

Strength:

Good geometry, there is no sign of softness under powerful pedaling

The frame does not accommodate most types of rear shock absorbers because of the arrangement of the rear shock.

Engineer Devin Lenz is a dishonest business. The first frame, which I ordered from Devin was crooked welded rear suspension. I discovered this when installing the wheel. After the purchase of the second frame and fork with Devin, the frame was good, but the fork was not working. Shipping to Russia from Devin was worth much more than it actually is.I am very disappointed in this regard by the American engineer Devin Lenz. Devin does not respond to e-mails about the quality of his frames...

[Dec 26, 2011]
veghead

Strength:

The bike is a surprisingly good climber and nearly as nimble as my old cross-country 29er. Provides you with a lot of confidence on steep, loose, nasty downhill's. Rolls over every obstacle that I have encountered (or have the nerve for) so far. Super plush ride for my trashed low back.

None so far.

This bike is meeting all my expectations and then some. For a longer travel 29er the extra couple pounds over my old bike just doesn't seem to be much of a limitation on those long climbs. You simply can ride this bike all day on Arizona's rocky trails and not feel beat up.

Ellsworth Evolve, Intense Spyder, Voodoo Canzo

[Oct 01, 2008]
CraigE

Strength:

Stiff frame, great climber, excellent descender, fairly light at 33 pounds as built. Steers really well considering the fairly slack head angle.

Not enough range of adjustment with the seat post due to the seat stay frame design.

I ordered this bike because I wanted a 6" travel 29er with a stout frame. This bike lived up to my expectations and is my bike of choice for everything except DH rides. The White Brothers forks are awful... but for the moment (10-1-08) I don't have any other choices for 20mm axle 6" travel 29er forks. That will be changing in the months to come but for now I just put up with the WB harshness.

Ellsworth Evolve 29er. Niner RIP.