KHS Flagstaff 29er Full Suspension

• Seatpost: Truvativ Stylo Race, offset

• USER REVIEWS

[Aug 06, 2015]
    J. Pritt

Strength:

Solid geometry.

Suspension pivot hardware of an inferior quality and KHS doesn't stock any replacement parts related to frame suspension.

Purchased a 2012 Flagstaff. Was given two replacement frames. The longest a frame lasted was 8 months. I finally gave up on the warranty aspect of it and moved on. KHS did try to rectify, they just couldn't help the fact the frame hardware like bearing, pivot bolts and rocker arms are made of cheap materials that won't hold up. I'm a Florida rider, so the XC bike should have held up as all my trails are at a intermediate level. Only purchase if you are avweekend warrior with 12 miles or less per ride. It won't hold up to extensive use or long cross country grinds. Pivot bolts, bearings and rocker arms will prematurely wear. Still like their bikes and the people that work at KHS, just won't ever buy another full suspension from them. Almost forgot, they don't stock full suspension related replacement parts. So, when stuff fails, be prepared for long waits or move on to another frame. I literally got upgraded to a 2014 frame when they ran out of parts for my 2012 frame. The 14 frame lasted almost 8 months before the full suspension frame hardware failed.

Was my first nice full suspension bike.

[Apr 26, 2012]
    Jwiz

Strength:

Rides "lighter" than it is, climbs good, solid suspension, stiff, nice sizing.

Dident like the Monarch, but thats not a "frame" problem.

The weight is ok for a 29er Fully and at 6'5" a XL fitted me great. Been on quite a few rides and must say Im very pleased with how it handels. I have a 2011 wich is recomended to have a 80mm fork, I ride with a 100mm and it rocks! I traded the Monarch out in favor of an X-Fusion O2 PVA wich I find to be the better shock for the frame.

On One Scandal, Salsa Dos-Niner

[Apr 21, 2012]
    pelts79

Strength:

Great bang for buck 29er. Picked the frame up on ebay for $540, which was never ridden. Put some Black Flag Pros on it along with some pretty decent components. This bike rides sweet. Fit is right on and the bike handles really well. It's my first 29er and I really love it. I have a couple high end 26ers and they have not seen dirt in some time. I am running a Manitou Tower Pro 100 mm up front. I can't believe this bike is so often overlooked.

????????

I built this bike from the frame up so it is fairly light. I believe good wheels and fit are key. The Flagstaff fits like a glove.

[May 13, 2011]
    EGF168

Strength:

The frame is stiff and well made with sensible geometry and sizing. Very efficient rear suspension. The Reba is smooth, well controlled and doesn't flex. KHS sells direct in the UK so their bikes are extremely good value.

The WTB Exiwolf tires are heavy, slow, not great in muddy conditions and don't deliver grip or a good ride feel. They should be the first upgrade!

The rear suspension isn't amazingly plush or active but some riders like it that way and it does the job.

The Flagstaff is a fun ride and very capable for a XC bike. KHS UK were great to deal with.

Various 26ers and 29ers.

[Nov 23, 2010]
    thesaints949

Strength:

good value for the money. responsive and easily dialed in

No water bottle cage set up.

I liked the bike the second I pedalled out of the driveway. I changed the bike specs to make it lighter for racing and I took the spacer out of the fork to make it 100 mm. WOW--This bike rocks. It's fast, responsive and looks cool. KHS has really improved the linkages by adding bearing to them and beefing up the swing arm. I can't say a bad thing about the way the bike rides.

[Jul 08, 2010]
    Dallas

Strength:

The total ride, climbing, descending, flats, twisty, This bike is just a ton of fun to ride. Stable but still quick handling without being nervous/twitchy. Price, $550 for the frame off of ebay.

The ONLY weakness, No place to attach a water bottle cage to the frame.

I have owned a few 29ers and have rode my friends 29ers and 26ers. I have never enjoyed riding a bike as much as i have the flagstaff. If I had to do it all over again, I would buy it again in a heartbeat and pay at least msrp for it.

I have owned a Gary Fisher Cobia 29er, Carver 96er, Salsa Mamasita 29er,

[Mar 21, 2010]
    twobournes

Strength:

Technical climbs,high speed descents, absorbs more trail than my FS 26er. Spec'd out really well with x.7/x.9 drivetrain.

WHEELS! Not only are they heavy - the shimano M475 hubs have crapped out on me TWICE now! Neither of the hubs have lasted more than 18 miles. Switching them for American Classics immediately. This is the only reason I cannot give this bike a 5/5 rating -which it deserves like it deserves a reliable hub!

With the exception of the wheel/hub problems - this bike is spec'd incredibly well for the $$. Once I replace the wheelset the only remaining upgrade I would consider is the cassette (spec'd with pg950 - converting to pg990). These upgrades will get the weight well into the range of many 26"s (expect around 27lbs; size: large).

This bike offers its rider the ability to go straight up and over many rocks and roots that would bog down a 26" wheel. I am clearing trails and that had been vexing me for a long time.

Trek Fuel EX8 (FS 26er)

[Aug 24, 2009]
    vizsladog

Strength:

climbing...........everthing

??????

Great value. The FSR suspension has been around for a while and works great.

The bike is speced well but the headset took a dump after one month. Replaced it with a cane creek cartridge bearing.

The bike climbs great handles well.

fisher 29er hifi,kona hei hei 29er

[Jul 31, 2009]
    wipeout2008

Strength:

Smooth ride. Confortable bike. Components are good even if a prefer Shimano. Confortable seat. The medium was a perfect fit for me at 5'8". Nice look,

Takes some getting used to at first. Higher point of gravity. Not for highly technical trails.

I was given this bike by my dealer to use as a spare bike at a 24hr race this summer. I loved it some much riding it during the week prior to the race that I decided to use it for part of my 24hr event even though I had a new Genuis to ride. I was very sad to have to give it back. I also rode it DH at the bike park here and manage to stay very close being the DH guys with their bikes. This bike smooth’s out terrain like there is no tomorrow. The 3.5" suspension is long forgotten once you start riding. Awesome bike. I plan to get one very soon. Maybe the demo one I rode.......

Over all this is a great XC and trail bike for anyone looking for a change.

Giant Trance, Scott Reflex 25 and Scott Genius 40.

[Jul 01, 2009]
    ez5

Strength:

stupid fast + plush, doesn't pedal bob, low crossbar, uses specialized 4 bar linkage/horst pivot.

tall + long, heavy w/stock rims.

Took some setting up cockpit wise as all bikes do, but finally have seat position and handlebar height/angle that suits my riding style. it is much longer which makes getting front wheel up over stuff harder unless you get right setup going.

DEFINITELY needs lighter rims, american classics brought the weight down from 31 lbs to 26.5 lbs. it now feels as quick as any 26" bike ive ridden.

picks up speed like nothing ive ever ridden before, even uphill you feel like upshifting. downhill is so fast i regularly lose my riding partners who ive been riding with for years and are similar riding speed and technical ability. pump + flat sections are where you really notice the difference, it feels like you're pedaling but your not.

is quite tall, i am about 6" to the ground when on the seat, if it wasnt for the low cross tube i couldnt ride it.
    however this gives it great ground clearance.

tight sections take some getting used to but is more of a weight shifting issue than anything, also i have jammed the wheel side ways a few times on log jams etc and recovered where my 26" would have seen me leapfrogging over the bars.

with a big (2.3+) tire will roll over anything and you wont even feel it. i can run full speed through rock gardens i used to carefully pick my way through.

middle chain ring suits this type of bike best for both climbing and accelerating, seems to be the sweet spot rpm wise, i understand why so many guys run single speed + 29er now.

all in all a great bike.

specialized fsr, stumpjumper.