GT Marathon 9r 29er Full Suspension

GT iDrive 4 6061 aluminum frame, 29” wheel compatible

Shannon   Cross Country Rider [Jul 13, 2012]
Strength:

Great frame, handling and components for the price

Rear shock, but it's not that bad

I bought mine online and it's a joy to ride. It's got an Eaton slanted seat post and raised bars. I'm 6' 200lbs and it works very well for me fast or slow. Plant your rear in the seat, utilize your glutes and it's a climbing machine. I did replace the shock with a Fox RP23. The Monarch was okay, but in my opinion, the pedaling platform isn't as good as the Fox. With the pro pedal on, this is a great ride! I did bend the front rim in a crash, but that wasn't the bikes fault. Replaced with a Stans Notube (should be here Monday). Overall, it's a great bike with great LX/XT components if you can get it for the right price. I paid $800.

Similar Products Used: 2001 GT Idrive, 2006 Gary fisher Cake Deluxe II
Okidirt   Cross Country Rider [Jan 16, 2012]
Strength:

29" wheels are great for the trail and roll-over pretty much anything. The frame is comfortable for a big guy like me (6'3" and 225 lbs.). I riden the Marathon 9r all over Arkansas and Okinawa Japan and love the way it rides (when it's working but I'll get to that shortly), especially downhill. Best thing to do if you buy one is to replace both shocks and it will be the best bike you've ever owned.

Both shocks!!!! Within 6 months the rear shock (Monarch 3.1) wouldn't hold pressure and SRAM wouldn't work with me or respond to my emails. I was told by a bike shop, several people and numerous reviews not to waste my time try to fix it but to buy a new one. No matter how many times rebuilt the shock would lose at least 100 psi in the first half hour of a ride everytime. Finally bought a Fox to replace it and it rides like a dream. At about 16 months the Reba's snapped (on the left shock where the brake compansator (the horse shoe at the top) meets the shock) and again SRAM wouldn't work with me and the shop i bought the bike from convinced them to at least replace the lowers which were still under warranty.

The actual frame design is great for us bigger riders and with better shocks it would be an awesome bike that would be tough to beat for the price. If you by on e replace the shocks before you even take it out of the store. Would have given the value a better rating if the shocks would have been better or lasted longer and I didn't have to spend a decent chunck to get it ridable.

Similar Products Used: First full suspension 29er. Owned a Haro Impulse for years with numerous rebuilds. and a rebuilt Kona with Shimano XT components and Manitou forks (rebuilt 6 times now and still original minus seals)
fshworm   Cross Country Rider [Jan 10, 2011]
Strength:

Great value for a full suspension cross country 29r. All Shimano SLX,Rockshox suspension,WTB wheels and seat,Easton cockpit. The whole package works well from handling to suspension.

Feel some flex in the rear under hard exceleration only weakness I can think of.

Excellent value! If your not about brand names and want a great bike get one. SLX components are great, alittle heavy but works almost as well as XTR. With the few changes made the bike weighs 27 lbs with TI pedals. The ZTR tubeless wheelset totally changes the ride versus the WTB stock wheels. Stay with at least 680mm handlebars it does make a difference. For less than 2K you can have a serious 29r.

Similar Products Used: Specialized,KHS,Fuji,Giant
jah1545   Cross Country Rider [Oct 22, 2010]
Strength:

Shimano SLX group, Reba SL 29r fork. Very well designed. Quick handling for a full suspension 29er.

Probably replace the wheelset with something a bit lighter.

GT advertises this bike as an all day, epic ride bike and I think it fits the bill nicely. It won't impress your weight weenie buddies and is not a racing bike. The I-Drive works very well in the climbs, and I was fast on the technical downhill sections thanks to the rear suspension. The I-drive also keeps the bike from bouncing when pedaling and in the flats. I also took the time to set the sag correctly, which helps the suspension work correctly. The biggest thing that impressed me was the handling. As much as it kills me to admit it....it handled nicer than my Cannondale. This is the one area I was sure this bike would suffer, but carving through twisty singletrack was a dream.

I've ridden three of GT's bikes over the past few years (Avalanche, Peace 9r and Marathon 9r), and I think they still make a nice bike for the money.

Similar Products Used: This is my first full suspension 29er, and only the second full suspension bike I've ridden.
boodles07   Cross Country Rider [Aug 17, 2010]
Strength:

Climbs great, rolls over everything..

I own 3 GT bikes and the 9r is awesome. It climbs great, it rolls fast and over everything. Of course it is not designed for big drops, do not attempt them, get a big hit bike for that. Down the straight aways this bike will fly, I love it and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a full suspension 29 inch wheel bike.

Similar Products Used: All GT all day..
James   Cross Country Rider [Aug 12, 2010]
Strength:

comfortable position, shifts nice, suspension good, flys nice and level.

fork was replaced from sram without any problem. They updated and upgraded the fork, One week shy of the bike being 1 year old, the top tube broke about 2 inches short of the head tube. alomost clean through.

great bike when all is working well, weakness in the frame I believe has been remedied with the Sensor 29. Pleased with replacement of bike after frame damage and please with fork replacement by sram.

Similar Products Used: GT marathon team carbon 2009, 2003 Idrive 1.0
Dominic Libby   Cross Country Rider [Jun 23, 2010]
Strength:

Climbs like a mountain goat! Quiet and Smooth. Frame construction. Suspension. No propietary parts needed. Integrated headset is cool. 2009's are a nicer blue color.

A little chunky(maybe by a half pound or so). They stopped making it but replacement model(GT Sensor 9r) will be out soon...hopefully.

Custom build from a new frame I bought for crazy cheap on eBay.
An amazing bike! I had been looking at KHS Flagstaffs, VooDoo Canzo's and Kona Hei's frames but never pulled the trigger and purchased. I've been riding 29er hardtails mixed with my All Mountain 6" travel 26er for the past 3 years and decided on trying out a 29er dualie again after hating the 2009 Niner RIP I had built a year before. I have never gotten a VP/DW link type suspension to climb well on technical stuff. I thought I had tried them all in 26er form so I never really thought GT I-Drive would be any different. I have friends that have loved their GT's for years. Well now I know what they loved. This bike has a great frame sporting nice welds and a good cable layout. The geometry and travel is perfect for the XC rider. What really sold me was climbing! This bike weighs just under 29lbs and climbs and rides like a twenty pound bike. I'm climbing super technical climbs that I could never do on any of my other bikes. The rear wheel is always getting traction. It pedals without bob making it a very efficient suspension platform. On decends and at speed the suspension is always working. I used to DH ride mostly on Rocky Mountain Bicycles RM7 and 9 models and I wish I had tried GT. I can see how Hans Rey loves them. Buy One!

Similar Products Used: Suspenders: Niner RIP. Hardtails: Motobecane Fantom 29er, Sette Razzo, Access 29er, GT Peace 9r
MTB6   Cross Country Rider [Apr 23, 2010]
Strength:

Climbing hills is made easier with the 29" wheels. Easy to stay in the saddle while going up most hills.

None. This is a cross country bike not meant for downhills where 8"+ of travel is required

All around great bike. Very well worth the money.

Similar Products Used: Raleigh XXIX, Niner Sir9
spinky   Cross Country Rider [Jan 04, 2010]
Strength:

Great climbing ability, tunable suspension, 29 inch wheels, good component group. Very stable under braking.

Smooth downhill capability ONLY. Suspension can be tricky to tune.

This is a great cross country bike ONLY. As I progressed at getting faster on the downhill sections, more and more things started going wrong. The chain started jumping off the crank so I started crosschaining slightly to add tension to the chain (recommended by LBS tech). Eventually the rear derailleur wound up going through the rear wheel on a fast section of downhill. Kept the bike upright luckily. Switched out rear derailleur from Shimano XT to Sram XO for the stronger springs which helped. Now having a new frame delivered to LBS because the original one is cracked at the headtube (Under warranty luckily).

Now onto the suspension. If you have tuned a suspension before, you know to refer to sag settings (approximately 15% front 20% rear) for correct setup. If you have never set up suspension, you will be in for a shock. This bike has a rearward weight bias. I weigh 190 lbs. If you refer to the rock shox documentation, they state using a 1 psi for 1 lb rider weight as the starting point. This will result in SERIOUS bottoming out. I run 250 psi for proper sag and travel. Up front, the recommended setting for my weight is around 145 psi, but I run 110 psi on the + side and 100 psi on the - side. Its a pain in the butt to tune, but once you get it tuned properly, this suspension works well.

Overall, this bike lives up to its "Marathon" name. On cross country trails you can ride this bike for DAYS. So if you are just starting out or ride cross country trails, you cannot beat this bike for the price. If you have any aspirations of going downhill fast or getting into more technical terrain, buy a stronger bike.