Gary Fisher Superfly 100 29er Full Suspension

• Crank Set: Truvativ Noir Redwin Carbon, 44/32/22
  • Stem: Bontrager Race X Lite OS, 7d rise, 31.8mm
  • User Reviews (27)

Zachariah   All Mountain Rider [Jun 22, 2013]
    Strength:

~Looks
    ~Sweet ride, when not breaking
    ~Plush, 110mm travel
    ~Bike flies thru singletrack
    ~Can double as all-day Trail bike too
    ~G2 geometry really works
    ~E2 tapered head tube is STIFF
    ~Crazy light

~All 2010 swingarms crack. Period
    ~Outdated tech; 135mm rear/9mm QR front- cannot do ABP Convert to 142x12
    ~Price. I still cannot believe how used, non-warranty bikes are selling for close to $3000!
    ~Bontrager stock saddle is intended for road use only

In June, 2010 - Gary Fisher engineers went back to the drawing board(CAD drawings), to see why 98% of SF100 frames were coming back broken. Turns out the rear chainstay bridge was the Achilles Heel, prone to separating under heavy loads. They increased the unidirectional carbon layup by 30% in this sensitive area. It appears the bridge cracks were rectified in July, 2010 - but then came a NEW problem - the rear ABP pivot started showing stress cracks, as a new path of least resistance was found. GF beefed-up that area with a robust 142x12mm rear axle, and made the improvement available on the 2011 Trek Superfly 100 Elite. All 2010 SF100 owners were warrantied a new 2011 frame - but was somewhat stuck, as the front G2 fork still was 9mm QR. Many owners started selling their new warranty frames on eBay, for outrageous prices. Buyers of them had NO IDEA that once the frame broke....they were essentially out a bike!

I must admit - the frame has sublime handling. It climbs like a hardtail 26er....but BETTER. The confidence to roll over anything is simply amazing. Descents were no longer a daunting undertaking, but FUN now! With all these positive attributes aside - I still would discourage you from buying this bike. In fact, I call it a Gary Fissure Superfly 100. Trek has now taken over the manufacturing, with far more stringent FEA analysis and design. You can rest assured the 2011 and 2012 SF100 frames are essentially solid buys, through and through.

Similar Products Used: Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Specialized S-Works Epic 29er
    Rocky Mountain 999 RSL
    Felt Edict 9 SL
    Scott Genius 900
    Yeti SB-95
    Bryan   Cross Country Rider [Jun 11, 2013]
    Strength:

Sweet ride I loved this bike, but unfortunately its not for the long haul. If you spend 5K on a bike it should last longer than 2 years.

Rear swingarm. I rode this bike for 2 years with no problems. This spring I broke the rear swing arm and Trek owned up to the fact that they had a problem with the 2010 model. I was pleased to find out that Trek covered everything and my LBS covered all the labor. I got the new swing arm from a 2012 model and went out to give it a try it lasted all of 5 miles on a moderate trail ride and as I climbed a hill it folded up on me. I broke the chain side chain stay right in the middle and cracked the left side right by the bushing mount. I was completely amazed. I call my LBS and they sent it back to Trek right away. However this time they said that the break was caused by a side impact and not a defect in the carbon. I had 4 other guys riding with me at the time and there wasn't a crash or impact of any sort. They offered me a replacement swing arm for $400.00. I am very reluctant to spend the money knowing what happened and having absolutely no confidence in Trek to support their product. I will be spending my money elsewhere from here on out. The sad thing is it was a really sweet ride but definitely way more risk than reward. I feel bad for my friends and family members that bought the same bike because of my initial experience. Buyer beware.

Trek will not stand behind their product. Read all 193 reviews of similar problems. Spend your money elsewhere.

Similar Products Used: Specialized epic expert
    Specialized stump jumper FSR Elite
    Gary Fisher Rumble fish 2
    fishmann   Cross Country Rider [May 28, 2012]
    Strength:

Lightweight
    Stiff frame
    geometry turns a 29 into 26 on tight twisties

Wheelset, grips, tires, bars

This is my first FS after a lifetime of riding hard tail 26er's. I'm glad I waited until FS 29er's evolved to this great machine. I've got about 100 miles on my 2011 that I got for a good deal this spring. 29er is da bomb for just about every situation.
    Suspension: The Fox front and back are silky smooth and adjustable. The pro-pedal works well for removing most climbing bob. I'm not looking forward to rebuilding these as much as they say they need to be.. we'' see.
    Frame: This is a piece of art. Stiff with nice lines and no welds. The G2 frame with the axle pivot seems to allow the suspension to work under braking. It is strange figuring out how to remove the rear wheel.
    Components: x9 all around. I've always been a Shimano guy so SRAM was a stretch but the x9 has been working fine, no finess here just smash 'em.
    Brakes: ElixerR. I'm not a disk brake expert but these work fine and modulate pretty well but mine are noisy as hell. I guess I didn't seat them properly or something.
    Bontrager: Not too impressed with these parts. Sweeping bars are a joke for cross country. grips are crap. Wheels seem heavy and nothing special. The 29-1 tires are worthless for the northwest terrain I ride but may be good for dry .
    Overall: I'm in love

deeppow   Racer [Feb 06, 2012]
    Strength:

Light, fast and can handle most trail riding as well as racing

Early model had some frame cranking issues but I should note that GF replaced promptly.

This is the best all around bike I have owned. It excells at endurance racing. The early models had some fabrication issues with the frames but Trek/GF replaced promptly. The service at the Boulder Trek store was stellar.

Similar Products Used: Air Nine Carbon, One 9
    jaymueller   Racer [Dec 03, 2011]
    Strength:

Light, great steering, plush suspension (like having a trail bike stuffed into your XC race rig), at speed it handles heavy chop better than any other 29er full suspension. Lifetime warranty on 2010 (and I've needed it). Stock 3x9 worked well. Steamroller RXL wheels (heavy, though).

Cracked the frame (who didn't!?), Avid Elixir brakes suck. Stock tires, grips, and saddle were tossers, so is the bar unless you happen to like it (fine with me). The pedals smack the ground a lot!

Let's start with the bad and go to the good.

Bad:

1. The failure rate among the group of people I know with the 2010 SF100 was 100 percent. 5 of us. All of us had heard of the frame failures, all of us called to make sure our bikes were not in the defective (read, fail in the first 20 minutes) group, and yet we all had failures. Trek stood by their warranty and, as far as I know, we are grandfathered in to the lifetime warranty. They have replaced my 2010 with a 2012. I have not heard of a lot of 2011 failures, so we'll see what happens.

2. Avid brakes. Avid brakes suck. They are a pain in the rear to bleed, and the cam rocker which is supposed to provide such great modulation gets crap behind it after about 18 months of use. It requires the caliper to be rebuilt. Most mechanics look at it and think since the piston won't retract that it needs a bleed, but the bleed doesn't solve the problem. Then you either have to have a really good mechanic to rebuild them or send them to Avid. This happened to me at the Cape Epic in Africa. I switched them to 2010 XT. Identical performance. And I can bleed them myself (with olive oil if I have to!) and not use caustic chemicals. And 2011 (and now 2012) XT/XTR is better. Replace the brakes.

3. Tires, grips, saddle, and bars all sucked. The saddle was laughable, it belonged under my aunt's big butt at the beach. FWIW, these all end up being swapped often, anyway, but it would have been nice to have something worth eBaying!

4. After sag, the low BB causes more pedal strikes than anything I have ever ridden. You can adapt to this.

Now the good:

The bike is just plain fast, and the Fisher geometry with the specific crown offset is real. I test rode every 29er FS I could, this was the only one where I felt I could be riding a smooth flowy section and accelerate into hard chop. The travel is less than a SC Tallboy but feels as plush or better. I've had a bit of a time getting the suspension dialed so that it's perfect on slow, bony singletrack and then good for the ripping descents. But there is nothing like it wide open.

Uphill I do use propedal and (if it's a long climb), will slide the low speed compression damping dial on the fork to limit bob. Even with PP on, climbing out of the saddle has too much bob, but seated I always have so much traction it's rarely an issue.

With a fast rolling tire it just hauls a$$. In one of my first races on it in 2010, still getting to know the bike, I was able to bomb a bony singletrack descent wide open, totally in control, right past a local pro who was taking it fast. Unreal.

If the 2011's have held together and you want a really fast bike, a 2011 or 2012 is a great choice. The warranty is now 2 years, though, so read the forums and make your choice.

Similar Products Used: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Specialized Epic 29er, Santa Cruz Blur
    wtw0004   Cross Country Rider [Jun 23, 2011]
    Strength:

light, fast, nimble, smooth

none yet

bike rips. only about a month on the bike so far but very happy. lucky to find a 2010 demo at LBS with 300 miles and full warranty which mitigates potential frame issues. this is a xc race machine but i ride it AM and love it. only weaknesses so far are the stock sweep bars.

Similar Products Used: stumpy 26er
    sparky   Cross Country Rider [Apr 11, 2011]
    Strength:

Nimble, climbs great, comfortable, light, fast, etc

Tires, grips, frame, rear hub

When it is in working condition I really like the bike. it is light weight,rides and handles great. A big upgrade from the 2000 Cannondale I was riding before. Like a lot of others I am having issues with the frame. I have had two of the lower swing arms replaced. The first cracked at the pivot and the second broke completely in two at the mid point of the chain stay. Also I have had a sleeve/bushing in the lower pivot come un bonded from the frame. I was told this sleeve is to take up the slack in the pivot. When it came un bonded it allowed the rear triangle to flex side to side. LBS glued it back to the frame. Said if that didn't work the frame would have to be sent back to the factory so they could press fit a new sleeve in to the frame. Finally I am beginning to suspect I am having issues with the rear hub. Whenever I push the cranks hard, especially standing, it makes a really loud clanking noise as the drive train skips forward. Through out the LBS has been great and Trek/GF had honored the warranty and had the bike repaired in reasonable time. However, I am disappointed to be having so many issues with this bike in such a short time. Can't help but wonder how many more issues I will have as the bike gets older. If I had it to do over again I do not think I would have purchased. Think I would have sacrificed the low weight and other pluses and went with a lower end bike for less cost.

pktrain   Racer [Mar 18, 2011]
    Strength:

Fast, nimble, stable, comfortable

Low BB, handlebars, fork QC, brakes, tires

This is a great, fast, good-looking XC race bike that can handle some rougher trails. It's quick yet also stable when it needs to be. It feels like a 26-inch bike. It's so fast and smooth that riding it feels like cheating. Here are some notes:

1. A lot of these frames have been breaking. From what I could gather, these were frames made early in the production run (they changed the carbon lay-up later in the run). Call Trek Tech Support at 1-800-585-TREK and give them your serial number. They'll be able to tell you where in the run your frame was made. Nearly al the early-run frames broke but the mid-later frames seem to be OK. The lifetime warranty should take care of this.

2. The BB is restrictively low. I smash pedals/crank arms all the time, way more than any other bike I've owned. You really have to be aware of your pedaling in technical terrain and through corners. Get some pedal boots from Race Face that fit right over the Noir crank arms.

3. I don't like the Bontrager Big Sweep bars at all. Low-riser bars work a lot better on this bike.

4. The brakes are an absolute P.I.T.A. to set-up. Love them when they are set-up, but getting them there takes a lot of time and effort.

Similar Products Used: Trek Fuels and Top Fuels
    JJ   Weekend Warrior [Mar 02, 2011]
    Strength:

Fast everywhere ! lightweight and nimble like a fox .

Durability.
    Too light. Swing arm main pivot broke.
    Sleeve for main pivot came loose and broke main pivot.

If you this kind of money to play with and want durability then buy Titanium !

Similar Products Used: STP, Fuel, 2 Stumpys.
    Varaxis   Weekend Warrior [Feb 06, 2011]
    Strength:

Lightweight, climbs very well, descends surprisingly well, great suspension design

Flexy wheels, front brake squeal (F29 FIT RLC + Avid Elixir CR), narrow bars, long stem, saddle creaks and rear catches shorts, foam grips are terrible, cable housing not trimmed--lots of cable rub on fork crown

One of the lightest production FS 29er on the market. Very fast and racy. My riding buddies are more reluctant to ride with me since I'm so fast on it--they're happier when I'm on the Kona Dawg (which rides like a dog in comparison). I'm 5'7" and I went from a medium GF Rig (17.5) to a small Motobecane Fly Team Ti 29 XO (15.5), thinking the Rig was too big. I kind of regret that I sold the Rig, which handled so much better, so I got a medium GF Superfly 100 (17.5) which lived up to my expectations and is my primary go-to bike. The Moto Fly is like a Ti copy of the Superfly (HT) w/o the G2 fork and pedals the best out of all my bikes. The SF100 doesn't pedal as fast even with ProPedal, but I think it's more likely due to the tires (Ikons on Moto and Captains on SF100). The traction the SF100 gets is amazing, so I find it an acceptable trade off. I have tons more confidence at speed in corners and do so much better in deep sand compared to the Moto on Ikons. This suspension is great. I haven't been sold on dual short links, but I've only ever tried the Flux. I think a well tuned 4-bar is no worse, such as the case of the 575's suspension and ABP. I haven't bottomed it out yet, following all the recommended settings. 150 psi in rear, 60psi in front with 140 lbs of riding weight. The Turner Flux DW and 575 were much plusher, but the Flux bottomed out fairly often. I didn't ride the 575 on the same trails as I ride the SF100 on, but I get the about same fun on this, since it climbs so much better, but I do miss being able to launch off of rocks, roots, and rollers. The 575 definitely wins on the descents, but just isn't as fast or light as this SF100. The Kona is burly, but very noisy--I mainly bought that to abuse on jumps and big hucks anyways. The components need a little tweaking. The stock Bonty saddle catches on my shorts whenever I go behind the saddle and it's nose creaks. I might need to trim the seatpost since it doesn't go very deep into the frame, but the WTB saddle I put on does better about not catches my shorts. A little chain suck, but there's reinforcement there and it happened as a combo of too much pressure and a dirty drivetrain. Wheels were too flexy and did poorly off-camber, in ruts, and bouncing through rock gardens. Stem is too long for sure... the ETT on GF bikes are a bit longer than usual, but it works great with a short stem and wide handlebar. My front shifter must've got bent somehow, since the upshift paddle gets stuck behind the one that shifts down. I found I like the upshift paddle adjusted further out anyways (love that feature on XO shifter). It descends so fast that it needs a stronger brake up front--I plan on upgrading it to 185 down the road. This seems to hit a decent point in comprimise between what I'm looking for in a bike that can race yet be a full time trail bike that can handle tours, trying out new trails. My other considerations when shopping were the Anthem 29 X and Rumblefish, but I'm kind of glad I went this route since I can give up a number of my other bikes while I think I probably would've kept my Ti 29er HT around if I went with my other choices.

Similar Products Used: Schwinn Homegrown Factory XT, Gary Fisher Rig, Yeti 575, Motobecane Fly Team 29 Ti XO, Turner Flux, Kona Dawg, Titus FTM