Gary Fisher HiFi Plus 29 29er Full Suspension

Gary Fisher HiFi Plus 29 29er Full Suspension

• Frame: 6011 hydroformed butted aluminum mainframe & stays, cold-forged dropouts, G2 29" Geometry, top swing magnesium link, E2, ABP
  • Wheels: Shimano M525 hubs, Bontrager SSR 29 disc rims, Bontrager XDX tires
  • Componentry: Shimano SLX Direct Mount front derailleur, SRAM X.7 rear derailleur, SRAM X.5 shifters, Shimano Deore M590 crank, Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes
  • Suspension: Fox F100 RL 29, 100mm travel, custom G2 Geometry 51mm offset crown; Fox Float RP2, 110mm travel, 2-position Pro Pedal

[Jul 18, 2013]
Chris

Strength:

Good...when it actually works, which is rare.

Brake and shifting components are constant problems. Wheels and saddle are terrible as well.

Apparently I got a lemon after looking at other reviews. I purchased two Trek bikes (Superfly and HiFi plus) and both have been nothing but problems. On the Superfly I ended up replacing the frame (components worked fine). On the HiFi the frame was solid but of the approximately 30 trail rides that I have taken it on, I have walked the bike out of about 50-75% of the rides. The bike has been to over 10 respected bike shops and no one can fix the problems. Mostly the problems are with the shifting, breaking chains, ect. Needless to say I will never buy a Trek bike again.

Anyone want to buy a 2011 Trek HiFi plus for cheap??

[Jan 03, 2013]
Jeff

Strength:

Downhill stability! This bike creates confidence and will deliver you home safely.

Saddle is terrible, replace it immediately. Juicy 3 brakes are okay but you could certainly improve your braking power.

I'm a big guy, 6'3" 245 lbs. If you are in that range (6'1" to 6'5" or bigger), than this bike is for you. At just over the 2K retail price...Affordability is reasonable and you get a lot for your buck!

[Mar 29, 2012]
davidshabat

Strength:

G2 Geometry, Fox fork, easy to modify

Heavy as purchased, sluggish handling, seems low at the BB.

It is VERY predictable everywhere I take it. And I take it everywhere. I don't know whether to rate the bike as stock or as I ride it. If I rate it as I ride it, I'd give it 5 chilis because it feels like part of me when I'm on it. But, when I bought it, it felt sluggish and heavy like a school bus, especially with that 700mm steering wheel and heavy hoops.

GF HiFi Deluxe 26" (2007)

[Mar 02, 2012]
CbadClyde

Strength:

Frame size/Geometry for a big rider (6'4", 210lbs)
29" wheels roll over everything
Dig the black and grey paint with black rims
Suspension is very nice, smooth, and climbs great (with Pro Pedal on)

Tires are weak. They seem to slip pretty easy, particularly the skinny rear tire.
Brakes (Juicy) are OK, much better than my old linear pull bakes, but the front brake squeals consistently.
Seat is marginal...not the most comfortably, but not high on my list of future upgrades either.

I'm a big rider (6'4", 210lbs) and had been riding a 1994 Specialized Rock Hopper with front suspension only. This bike makes riding, particularly steep climbs, rocky loose trails, a much more enjoyable experience. But the real fun is downhill or cruising at speed. This bike flies downhill and seems to accelerate on it's own. Suspension is very nice for XC absorbing most rocks and bumps with some feel, but not disruption. This was a steal at $1500.

One thing I am struggling a bit with is the positioning of the shifters and the brakes on the bar. I have relatively big hands (XL gloves) and I sometimes hit the shifter with parts of my hand inadvertently. Also the brake level position I can't seem to get completely comfortable because the shifters are in the way. It's a minor thing, but it is gripe. Not sure other bikes are any different as I really didn't pick up on this until I had ridden 10+ hours...

Anyway, I highly recommend this bike as it is a great value.

I tested the Specialized Camber 29er. Very similar suspension design and geometry. The Trek was $150 less and just seemed to fit better.

[Feb 26, 2012]
Bikin Fool

Strength:

Lightweight, nimble quick

Exploding chain stays

I was truly blown away with the phenomenal handling. Despite what people say about 29ers, this bike accelerates and climbs well. What I like the most is the huge increase in stability with the faster speeds. The big wheels and clever geometry allows one to blow over technical challenges that rival a downhill bike. This one bike has improved my riding 200 per cent. Unfortunately it is a lightweight and is prone to breaking. This one has failed at least twice.

Santa Cruz Superlight, Nomad

[Nov 02, 2010]
Tim

Strength:

Overall comfort, rolls great, fun to run downhill, seems quick.

Shifting? (Chain hops- could be just an adjustment?)

I went from an old Jamis (1996 vintage) to this bike, OMG!!! Love it... I'm a big guy, 6'1", 210, very comfortable both climbing and downhills. Still getting used to the bike overall, 29" tires and such and the full suspension. I have nothing but good things to say about this bike-

PS- The seats seems ok by me?

[Sep 07, 2010]
cottonball

Strength:

Very nice ride, climbs great, everything worked great, shifters, brakes, wheels.

The stock wheels are heavy but can be built tubeless to lighten them up, Narrow bars.

I got a 2009 Hi Fi Plus and had to first change the bars to something wider and a riser. I used the stock wheels for a couple rides and then used a set of lighter wheels set up tubeless. Everything else is stock. This is a great bike. I have had several hardtails and a GF Caliber and own a Niner Rip 9. This bike feels light, climbs great and handles like the 26 inch wheeled bikes I have had. After the brakes broke in they work very nice. I can't believe how nice this bike rides and the handling is great, must be the G2. Fox fork is nice and the Fox shock is all I need. I don't now why anyone should buy a frame that cost as much as the entire bike.

Gary Fisher Caliber and Niner Rip 9

[May 22, 2010]
mefistofeles

Strength:

The suspension is dialed so well. Not can is this bike capable on the downhills it can actually climb

Although the Juicy 3 brakes are adequate on this bike,in fact the 2010 Juicy 3's feel far better than the 2009's I had on my XTC 29er 1, I feel that they are a weak point. This bike is so capable on the downhills that if you're not careful you'll could definitely overpower the brakes. The saddle is awful, this was the first thing to go on my bike!

The Hifi Plus 29er is a great bike. On the straights it's possible to keep with a hardtail 29er. Although this bike is good on the climbs and exhibits very little pedal bob, it's just not quite as good as a hardtail 29er. The difference is small but noticable.

On the downhills this thing is an absolute beast and inspires incredible confidence. Although I haven't taken the bike into the rock gardens it seems to have handled every other descent with impunity. Steep sharp,high speed drops no problem! Downhill runs on this bike are almost boring it has so much high speed stability that you really never worry.

Descents that felt scary or sketchy on my XTC 29er1 hardtail feel uneventful on the Hifi Plus 29er. The only real weakpoint is the saddle, the saddle is awful and I had to replace it immediately when I bought this bike, I couldn't stand it.

Gary Fisher has done an outstanding job on this bike and has built a suspension system that can climb and descend well. Just go into any bikestore and look at the suspension on this bike,its monstrous and looks like it can take anything.

Although the Hifi Plus 29er isn't quite as fast on the climbs as a hardtail 29er I think it's a far more complete package. You get most of the benefits of a hardtail 29er and amazing downhill speed and controllability.

The Juicy 3's should also be switched out, they're not bad brakes( at least the 2010 Juicy 3's) but they're really outmatched by this bike. The Hifi Plus 29er is truly in it's element on a long high speed descent and you need brakes that can handle what this bike can do.

Overall I am very pleased with this bike,it won't be the best at any one thing but it can do so many things well that you'll probably find yourself turning to it more often than anything else. The Hifi Plus 29er is a true do it all bike.

Giant XTC 29er 1
Gary Fisher Rig
Trance X1
XTC Advanced
Dahon Fuego

[May 03, 2010]
adamhopper

Strength:

Ground clearence, Downhill bombing, rolling momentum on 29s.

2008 was a weak frame (mine broke), stock tires, rock shox reba fork, stock fox rear shock has a useless propedal function and terrible bobing on a standing or sitting climb.

After 1.5 years on the ugly green bike the frame broke in two pieces at the drop out on the derailer side. I came down off of a small jump at only 15 mph and heard a snap and then the tire was rubbing against the frame. (I weigh 230lbs geared up) Tires were at 40lbs each and the shocks were set to the firmest. The store I bought it from handled the warranty. To my delight the frame was lifetime warrantied. After three long weeks of wondering how I was going to get screwed by Gary Fisher on the warranty the store called me to say my new frame was in. 3 days later I picked it up. Screwed? Not at all! A new Chilli Red 2009 HIFI PRO frame and the longer travel Fox rp23 rear shock to go with it. The bike was beautiful and the shop ate the $175 labor for building it. Thankyou Jesus!!! Rode it today and it was a much better ride than ever before. The new shock made a world of difference, hardly any pedal bobing. I'm enjoying the trail again and thrilled with my new 2009 HIFI pro/plus. As for the reba fork, it is leaking oil liberally out of the top by the lockout dial. It has already been rebuilt twice, once by rock shox and once by the shop. I'm switching to Fox if RS doesn't send me a new upgraded one for my troubles.

[Jan 14, 2010]
mcompton

Strength:

Lightweight, rolls well, comfortable

Seat smashed my nards, tires slick, rear derailleur hops periodically

This bike makes me look better than I am. It seams real good to a average rider. She fly's down hills. Rollercoasters are great! I found a need to stay in the seat to keep the rear planted. I am over the bars in the corners to cut down on washout. Switch-backs are improving with seat time.

GF Cobia