Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29 29er Full Suspension

• Frame: 6011 hydroformed butted aluminum mainframe & stays, cold-forged dropouts, G2 29" Geometry, top swing magnesium link, E2, ABP
  • Wheels: Bontrager Alloy, Shimano M525SL hubs, Bontrager Duster 29 rims, Bontrager XDX tires
  • Componentry: Shimano SLX Direct Mount front derailleur, SRAM X.9 rear derailleur, SRAM X.7 shifters, Shimano FC-M542 crank, Avid Elixir 5 hydraulic disc brakes
  • Suspension: Fox F100 RL 29, 100mm travel, custom G2 Geometry 51mm offset crown; Fox Float RP2, 110mm travel, 2-position Pro Pedal

Joe   All Mountain Rider [Sep 09, 2014]
Strength:

Nice frame, looks good, bomber construction, Fox suspension, G2 geometry

Little on the heavy side, not the best shifters, brakes, wheelset

This bike is great. Geometry is very comfortable. I swapped many of the parts when I got it used to make it a little lighter and fit my riding style. Shorter stem, carbon riser bars, dropper post, deus XC crankset, XT shifters, XT rear draileur, Set the wheels up tubeless, carbon saddle, bigger brake rotors. All that said, the bike climbs awesome and descends well. Would I like thru axels? yes. Would I like a 120mm Fox 34 fork? yes. But I didn't have the money for that. Would probably got the Rumblefish if I could have. That being said this bike is the best bike I've owned, and I've been riding more than 20 years. It does everything well. Is it the lightest, No. But it does go up and down pretty damn fast. The frame is stiff and feels strong. Gives me a very confident feeling while riding. I just dented the rear rim and even tho it's still holding air I went ahead and got a better used set of Rhythm elites so that should drop a little weight. who cares, I'm not racing anyway. I'd rather be comfortable, and this thing is like sitting on a big caddilac you don't feel any of the small to medium size rocks and roots. I would highly recommend this bike to anyone who's not a serious racer.

Similar Products Used: Gary fisher Rig SS
Brad Hammon   [Jul 08, 2013]
Strength:

Not many, seems how I can't get trek to fix the warranty issue with all the pivots and headset freezing up. The bike was great for the first 3 months, after that a huge piece. Trek is not concerned with good customer support, they don't stand by the bikes they make. Third trek I have owned, never again, going else where.

Warranty; the fact that trek will bull sh!# all day about how its fine; really hurts during riding season.

I would not recommend this bike for anyone who likes to ride, it will disappoint you. The sad thing is that this company that my family has been loyal to, sucks! Buy a bike from a company that will support you when they send you a messed up bike. I understand that some bikes are just not right, what I don't understand is why trek is not standing by their product.

Bob   Cross Country Rider [Aug 18, 2012]
Strength:

light, nice balance, fast

rear triangle

Loved the bike, but common problem with rear triangle breaking. I am a 57 yr old intermediate rider and there is no way that the rear triangle should break. It breaks in the lower arm near the welds. My buddy's hifi pro broke in the same place. Trek does not have any replacements available.

Similar Products Used: none yet, but probably switching to specialized epic
moorecolorado   Cross Country Rider [Feb 29, 2012]
Strength:

Great suspension, solid components, good price point, love the color scheme (and the satin-finish / non-glossy paint job), as light as my old hardtail, 29-inch wheels roll over everything.

I've read it in other reviews, but believe me... the tires really do stink.

I love this bike... granted, it's the first full-suspension bike I have owned (been riding the same hardtail for the past 10-years, so anything is going to be an improvement), but I still think it's a great bike. Aside from the dual suspension, I love the 29-inch wheels... I have ridden Ute Valley & Palmer Park for many years on 26-inch wheels and I am now going over obstacles that used to be troublesome. I like the lock-out feature on the rear suspension and use it frequently on climbs... minimal bobbing on the ups & it eats up the downhills with ease. It turns well, even around the tightest corners and shifts wonderfully. The only downside is the tires... the Bontrager sidewalls are already wearing out... I've even developed an eraser-sized hole in one of the sidewalls already... in the first 100-miles! They are crap & I fully intend to upgrade to better tires as soon as these go (which shouldn't be too long).

I got a great price on it because I got an employee discount at the vendor, plus they happened to be offering $100 of in-store credit if you bought a 29-er... it was too good of deal to pass up. I bought it rather impulsively and have ZERO regrets. I'm a pretty aggressive rider and feel it's the perfect bike. Plus, I'm relatively beefy (6-foot, 215-lbs) and it holds up great... the geometry is great, the frame size is great... I will be happy with this bike for a number of years.

I'm looking forward to taking it to Moab this fall during our annual guys weekend away. I'm certain I'll love it.

Similar Products Used: Have demo'd an Ibis Mojo SL (in Fruita, CO) & a Niner Rip 9 (at Moab)... have ridden an old-school Schwinn Homegrown Comp for years! I hated to give it up, but after trashing the rear-derailleur at Moab this past fall, I was hesitant to put any more $$$ into it... might as well spend that $100 towards a new & modern bike!
trail topher   Cross Country Rider [Jan 31, 2012]
Strength:

G2 geometry works great for me. Great frame and fork for the $.

Tires are terrible. Swap out handlebar for something with less sweep. Brakes were tough to get set up.

The 2010 HiFi is a really well balanced trail bike. I've been on a Fisher Rig since 2008 and really like the steering of the G2 front. The HiFi is perfect for the Colorado front range, enough travel for techy trails but still can hang with the xc racer crowd. If I could only have 1 bike it would be a 4" travel 29er. I looked at the Tall Boy and Epic 29er but for the $ the HiFi had exactly what I was looking for. Before leaving the shop I would upgrade the tires to something like a Nobby Nic front and Racing Ralph rear. I think in it's current build my HiFi weighs in around 27lbs and is incredible at climbing steep and technical trails.

Similar Products Used: Santa Cruz Heckler, Gary Fisher Rig,
Tim Reilley   Cross Country Rider [Dec 20, 2011]
Strength:

Nice geometry, flies down hills and rolls over most anything. Good in tight turns for a 29er.

Stupid swept handlebars. Lousy tires.

What a great bike. I was still in love with my '97 Paragon HT when the frame froze and got trashed. I had always resisted FS and 29ers but after I rode a HT and an FS side by side on a nice little climbing trails behind the shop I was sold on FS. This bike is just plain fun. It does not feel as spry as the paragon(yet) but I am still getting used to it. I do love how it rolls on the trails. I watch my poor wife pedaling down technical trails on the 26" Hoo Koo E Koo while I coast and need to use the brakes.

Climbing is very good although I am still tweaking tire pressure to find the optimum setup for traction and rolling resistance. Have yet to try some extreme technical stuff that I could always clean on my Paragon.

At first I hated the shifters. I have been using Sram twisters for 15 years. I was constantly up shifting by accident with the push/push shifters. My big thumbs were hitting them and I kept confusing the up and down from each other. Lots of hunting for the right lever. But once I positioned them properly, I had much less mis-shifts.

Some don't like the graphics but I think the bike looks very cool. Although branded as a Trek it does have Gary Fisher signature graphics on the swing arms. Nice touch to add the neoprene chainstay guard.

P. Ross   Cross Country Rider [Nov 26, 2011]
Strength:

Killer geometry and almost no flexy undulations on fast downhills. Awesome climbed thanks to ABP. Works well in tight technical stuff and flies down fast sections without having to watch how far to push it's limitations.

Tires and brakes. Could be a pound or two lighter and have a tad bit more front end travel.

This bike rips it and will sell any skeptic on a life as a 29er. Has attributes of a cross country racer, all-mountain stomper and can handle some pretty radical DH for fun. ABP really works as it allows for out-of-the-saddle climbing. Have not found limitations on this bike yet. The faster you push this thing....the smoother the ride. This includes rim eating rock gardens and drastic wash outs.

Similar Products Used: Superfly
Kody   Cross Country Rider [Sep 26, 2011]
Strength:

Geometry feels awesome, climbs well, and decends great for a 100mm travel bike

Big sweep handle bars, stock tires, x7 shifters aren't great.

This bike is sweet. Its my first fully suspended bike and is a absolute blast to ride. It climbs almost as well as my old hardtail (I actually like it better on really technical ascents, just make sure the propedal is on with the shock), and I can crush people descending. Its definitely not a big travel bike but if you keep those wheels turning fast you should be able to go over almost anything. I also love the geometry. At first it felt a little weird because i was sitting farther forward, but now I love it.
There are definetly a few weaknesses but nothing that makes me regret getting this bike. I swapped out the wheels for some bigger tread immediately and put on some handle bars with less sweep. The stock ones arent too terrible but I prefer the ones I have now. I also put on a salsa bash guard, mostly because it looks bad ass but also so i dont rip my right calf off. My biggest complaint so far is with the shifting. I dont have a lot of experience but the X7 shifters require much more frequent adjustment than the X9 ones that were on my old bike.
When I was buying this bike I was choosing between it and a Specialized Epic comp 29. The geometries were different ( the HIFi sits farther forward, so it feels like you can put out more power) and the epic had the brain, which I really liked. In the end the HiFi was much cheaper and I didn't really need the brain... If I was racing a lot I would have chosen the epic because the brain gives you more rigidity on uphills, but for what I am doing with it it wasn't really necessary.
Overall, I would recommend this bike to anybody. With a few modifications, it could be amazing.