Diamondback Sortie 29er Full Suspension

The Sortie29 Black has essentially taken the very best components in the world and built you a pro caliber race build. Featuring Diamondback's legendary Knucklebox suspension and EA90 29er wheels, the Sortie Black is ready to leave your op...

Dmac   All Mountain Rider [Feb 08, 2016]
Strength:

Cheap

Heavy. And the frame broke in 1 year.

Top frame broke where it meets the down tube. I keep the tires on the dirt. I get rowdy but I'm not dropping in on rampage. So wtf. Diamondback sent me a new frame since I was under warranty. But now I'm like.... Are they safe?? And I'm wondering why the sortie was discontinued for 2016????

randy martin   Cross Country Rider [Jul 09, 2015]
Strength:

ride was plush, but ultimately there can be no strengths for a flawed design that breaks and leaves you stranded 5 miles out in the desert.

heavy, diamondbacks unwillingness to stand behind their product.

I bought my sortie2 slightly used but less than a year old. I had practically checked it over with a microscope and paid almost full retail price for it since it was in pristine condition. I rode it about 10 times before it broke in half right where the bottom and top tube meet. I am 50 years old and ride with a group of similar aged mechanical engineers. I only say this to show that I am not a young agro rider who will push a bike beyond its limits. Because I was not the original owner Diamondback refused to help me out even a little bit. They also acknowledged that they knew about the flaw that had caused the stress concentration. (Really?? and you're still selling them?) The few times I had ridden it I thought it might be a little heavy and sluggish, but had justified it thinking at least I have a very strong frame. I can forgive a company for making an honest mistake, but NOT for continuing to sell flawed inventory and for not even trying to make it right with people who lost a lot of money by buying their product.

KermieVT   [Sep 21, 2014]
Strength:

High quality frame
Great components
Stable
Agile
Price

For the $$, none.

This review is for the 2014 DB Sortie 1. Price paid: ~$1500. Trails: Mostly NE single track, intermediate to advanced.

I first saw this bike online while researching my first FS bike purchase. I was intrigued by the unusual lines of the bike and the low-slung rear triangle...it just looked sexy... and right. I worried about buying it sight-unseen and un-ridden, but after reading the few reviews I could find and failing to find any 29er FS rig anywhere close as far as components for the price, I decided to take a chance. I could not have taken a better risk. I freaking love this bike! Like Tom Cruise loved Katie Holmes, even. Sometimes I just find myself staring at it, trying to figure out where the magic is coming from...

I am 5' 10" 130lb. I bought a Medium and I just fit with on a couple of cm's to spare in the saddle height area. I did not weigh the bike b/c I knew the Sortie was considered heavy by most reviewers. I immediately bought lighter tires with better grip (the stock WTB ones were not only heavy, but the rear end slid out a lot with them) and I weighed out the stock components before replacing them. Some, such as the stem, were lighter than the claimed weights of many higher priced "lightweight" products, so I left them on board. I eventually went with a lighter saddle, narrower handlebar (I have narrow shoulders and build), lock-on grips and a RF XC 2x crankset and BB. These changes shaved off several pounds in critical areas. I could tell a difference immediately and the bike now feels whippy and maneuverable.

As mentioned, the frame quality is exceptional and everything works just fantastic. I love the Fox fork and rear shock - with Boost valve. This bike just crawls up hills like a tank, especially when the rear is in descend mode, and the weight is a non-issue. I am not racing but I am not even sure it would matter in a race, since this thing just rolls up and over nearly everything and flies downhill like an arrow, stable and true - just awesome. I have no issues in tight, twisty turns and root/rock gardens are so much fun now. In fact, riding is just more fun than ever. Who would have thought that could happen after nearly 25 years of mountain biking??!

This bike has improved my riding abilities so much! My partner cannot believe how fast I ride now and how many obstacles and steep down/uphills I ride - with so much more confidence. In fact, she rode my bike and loved it. Then she sold her month-old brand new Giant Trance 27.5 and bought a Sortie 2. She loves it (I have seen her petting it and talking to it when thinking she was not being watched) and is no longer anxious about a "divey" front end and not being able to keep up. Two Sorties in the house are certainly better than one!

The weight? Meh. I don't even notice it and my quads are like iron anvils now.

Value? I could not find a better value. Anywhere.

Honestly, I know there are some bike snobs out there who look down their noses at the DB brand. But I remember a time when anyone who was a serious mountain biker wanted one and frankly, they are missing out on one sweet ride. After riding the Sortie, for the life of me, I cannot understand why more people aren't on them! They are simply that awesome. I would recommend to anyone, anywhere - try this bike. Don't be afraid. Try it. It's beautiful, well-made and will open up a whole new world of mountain biking to you.

Ronnieron12   [Jun 24, 2014]
Strength:

Full XTR Group, Fox Suspension, and EA70 Cockpit

Frame design,frame flex, horrible cheap tires and very tight rear clearance

Its very hard to actually find anything written about this bike. I found a lot more about the Mason and the Mission. I bought the bike from Jenson for right over 2k, for that price the bike is awesome. To be objective as if I paid the full $4000 for this bike you could find better bikes for that much. This is the most flexy bike I have ever ridden. Most my beef with this bike actually take place in the rear triangle, TOO TIGHT TOO FLEXY. The wolverine tires they come with are horribly heavy and won't bead up tubeless well. The whole package in a medium weighed 34 pounds when I got it. $800 dollars in upgrades I'm right around 29 pounds. As for performance its very stable but a lot of the weight is in the rear not really well balanced. It does ride like it has endless suspension for a sub 5 inch bike. All in all its a bulldozer of an XC bike

David   [Dec 03, 2013]
Strength:

This thing is a TANK. With the weapons grade aluminum frame, Fox Full Suspension 29er you can roll through anything.

None so far.

I have been riding this bike for about 10 months now and it is still as much fun today as the day I bought it. I have been down the some technical trails as well as fast fire roads and this bike eats it up. If your in the market, its a good buy, you wont be dissipated.

aboutface102   [May 14, 2013]
Strength:

1. Great groupset, at least for what I've been used to
2. Well built, hefty frame. Can take a beating comfortably
3. Low center of gravity gives amazing control through banks and turns, for a 29er
4. 120mm fox suspension

1. It is a bit heavier
2. Not the best for steep climbs (could just be me)
3. Brakes are a little weak

This bike was a great choice for me because I like to be able to climb long distances for the long downhills. This bike does both well, especially the downhill part. I rode my friend's $5,000 Niner just to try the 29" wheels. I will admit that uphill the Niner was astounding. Light with a great pedaling geometry. But downhill the Sortie blows it away. 1" more travel, Low center of gravity, hefty frame. Not to mention for me it was $3200 cheaper! Not the best groupset but I didn't even notice, it shifts great. Only bad thing is the brakes, I will probably upgrade those next to XT. If you want a fun 29er and are poor, this is an excellent choice!

PhxChem   Weekend Warrior [Dec 17, 2012]
Strength:

Solid bike. Able to set-up stock suspension for a 270# rider. Stock wheels seem to be strong enough for heavy riders also. Rear wheel stays stuck to the ground during rocky ascents, giving great traction. No noticeable chain feedback from the suspension. Stock 180mm front rotors (the minimum for heavier riders).

Trying to find a bottom bracket for the 2012 model after breaking one. My left foot foot ever-so-sightly rubs against the rear "seat stay" (it' probably by bodies fault for that. A little tape made sure I wasn't rubbing off the paint.). Trying to adjust the front derailer stop crews while it was on the bike (interference with the "seat stay"). You'll need the stubbiest of stubby screw drivers to get in there. I have hit my chain ring (converted to bashgaurd) quite a bit on bouldery sections. Seems to happen (obviously) more often when I'm moving lower in my rear travel.

Since the is my first full suspension bike, my review might be biased toward the "Wow, gee, I can rip through the chunk!!" factor.

The amount of bike for the price made this a great deal (bought the 2012 around the time the 2013's were coming out.

Coming straight from a hard tail, this bike feels like I'm cheating on rocky Arizona trails. It took some time to dial in the suspension settings since I'm not used to ANY pedal bob, but the Pro Pedal switch on the RP3 takes most of that out. Initially, I also felt that maybe there was a little flex in the rear. But since getting used to the bike (and checking the suspension bolts on a regular basis) I have not noticed the flex.

Within a week riding, I started to forget it was even a 29er. I ride in all the same rocky technical places as before and I don't feel like I've had to adjust my riding style to fit with the bike.

Greg Mayer   [Nov 20, 2012]
Strength:

The Fox Suspension, SLX/ XT shifters and Derailers, Coupled with Shimano hydraulic disk braks and thru axle make this a fun bike to ride..

A little heavy but not overly noticable.

I have ridden this bike for the past 8 weeks on a variety of different trails, cross country and roads. It is a blast to ride and very comfortable. I would definately recommend this bike to anyone looking for a mid range awesome bike that will make you smile every time you ride it.

bballboy388   All Mountain Rider [Oct 28, 2012]
Strength:

Price, thru axels front and rear, slx and xt shifters and rear derailleur, and Fox front and rear suspension.

Wheels are a heavy and the brakes are a little weak in my opinion

First off I had never ridden a 29er before this bike. My previous perspective is all coming from previous experience riding a few different 26" trail bikes and my background is primarily in Downhill.

I loved this bike! My first ride was a demo at my our local xc trails the day after doing a 30 mile mtn ride for my friends bachelor party on my soul matador. My legs should of been tired and I didn't really feel like riding but this bike just kept making the trails more fun then I had remembered. At first I figured the ride was just easier because the bike has a little steeper head angle and is lighter then my old bike so it was easier to climb. Then we started to descend and I was hitting the same lines I do on my old 26 that was set up with a 160 Rock Shox lyrick. The suspension design was really active and ate everything up but when we were climbing I hardly noticed it. On long steep climbs on extended road sections I sometimes use my pro pedal but not often. After that ride I knew I had to get one and I loved it so much I just convinced my wife to drink the 29" kool aid and we just purchased the 2013 model of this bike for her.

I think Diamondback is a company that is easy to overlook but over the past few years they seem to really be putting out a much higher quality product and investing back in the bicycling community and I am really glad I got the chance to demo this bike and now own it.

The stock build on this bike is on the heavier side and might turn off someone looking for a bike specifically to race but if you are looking for a bike that will be really fun and you can take anywhere I think this is worth taking a close look at.