Dean USA Duke 29er Full Suspension

• Rear Axle Spacing: 135mm
  • Dropout Type: Vertical
  • Wheel Size: 29"

Red Snail Racing   Cross Country Rider [Sep 08, 2009]
Strength:

Custom built, so you can get a tube set specifically for your size, weight and style of riding. Just the right amount of travel for XC riding. Amazing build quality.

The bike is excellent, but delivery dates are more a guideline than a firm commitment.

I've gone through quite a few 29er frames in the past four years and I've finally found the one I'm going to keep. Being a large SS rider (6'2", 215lbs)I needed a stiff frame, but I was also looking for a smooth ride, for endurance racing. The Duke softtail is just what I was looking for. The travel takes the edge off rocks and roots, but doesn't get in the way on long climbs. It also allows for faster descents, as it doesn't bounce all over the trail. I'm not sure exactly why but I've also been able to climb and clear sections that had been giving me fits on other frames. If you can afford to wait for a custom build, you can't afford to pass up looking into this frame.

Similar Products Used: Salsa Mamsita, Fisher Paragon & SuperCaliber, Ventana El Capitan, Wily Classic SS
OVERALL
mattkkelley   Cross Country Rider [Aug 08, 2008]
Strength:

I got the new version of the Duke 29er. The shock is under the top tube instead of in the rear triangle-a much cooler looking, and according to John, a more effective design. The bike is unbelievable: beautiful welds, flawless craftmanship, superb climbing bike, far and away the best bike i've ever owned. The performance of the Duke 29er has no shortcomings period. It rides in techie terrain better than my Colonel 26er. I see no drawbacks to the 29, being a big guy at 6'4" it suits me perfectly. No need for more suspension for me being an XC rider. The design gives 2+ inches in the rear, but with the flex of the ti and the big wheels it's really all I want. Plus NO bob!

This is the third bike I've bought from Dean and each machine is superb. The quality of Dean is just as good as any ti frame I've seen out there and the price is better. My buddy had a Moots 29 YBB and my Dean rides faster, quicker and better than that slug.

Like everyone says on this site about Dean-the wait...This is the third one I've bought from them so I knew what to expect. I ordered it in late fall and got it late spring. So I just kept my Colonel and rode that til John called and said it was ready. Bottom line: Totally worth the wait.

If you can handle the wait this is the best 29er FS/Softtail bike out there for the $$$. Friends have paid 5k+ for aluminum frame FS bikes, I got Ti for 4k. Great bike