Bulls Wild Edge 29er Full Suspension

• Racing Geometry with Climbing Power
  • Perfect Control at the Highest Speed

[Jun 17, 2017]
Falcon_HU25

Strength:

Lightweight, parts spec, value, stiffness, efficient power transfer, remote dual lockout, RS1 fork, customer support during online purchase process, lifetime frame warranty

Not in line with the current, slacker head angle designs in x-country bikes. External cable routing is excessive with 2x and dual lockout - no option for internal dropper routing. 2x may be extinct soon.

To be clear, I purchased the Wild Edge 29, not the 29+ w/ 2x11 speed XT or Team w/ 2x11 XTR (which retails for the price above). List price was $4199, but with code SUMMERFUN good for a 50% discount I made it out the door at $2099.50 and free shipping. Sale ends 1 August. I'm not selling, just trying to pass on my good deal to others!

I have already been accused of being a SPAMMER, but assure you that I am not being paid by Bulls Bikes! Here's my story:

On a tight budget I have drooled over bikes for the past year, but couldn't pull the trigger due to the reality of my finances and my refusal to compromise on weight or component quality. I needed to be as close to $2K as I could get. Then randomly I did a search for "carbon framed bikes with dual remote lockout" (my must have feature, because I'm old school and I like to hammer out of the seat efficiently) Up pops Bulls Bikes in my google search. I've heard of the racing team, but didn't know it was an actual brand. Next thing I know, I see a code for 50% off and assume it excludes bikes (like it always does). I put a Wild Edge in the basket, enter the sale code, and BOOM... The price gets cut in half! I research the crap out of the bike and read a couple of positive reviews. With this parts spec at this price, I conclude that it is my only chance of getting a bike within my budget and with the features and parts that I refuse to compromise on.

2 rides and 25 miles into the bike and I am thrilled. Hands down this bike performs better than my 2012 Scalpel 29 Carbon 2. I have to assume that shock damping is much better 5 years later, but maybe the RS1 is just better than the lefty 2.0? This bike is much quieter than the Scalpel. It seems like I always had a creak somewhere in the Cannondale from day 1 (Mostly in the headset). The Wild Edge is about 1 lb heavier, but that's with a 2.4" tire up front, slightly lower level of components (all XT instead of XTR/high level SRAM), and pivots in the seat stays.

The bike climbs like a rocket (on par with the Scalpel) whether open or locked out. Downhill, this bike is longer and it pays off. Even though it has a steep x-country head angle like the Scalpel had, It just tracks better and feels more confident in corners and less twitchy overall. I wish it had internal routing for a dropper, because the weight definitely needs to be kept back with the steep head angle and only 100mm travel. If I convert to 1x in a year or two, I may route an external dropper cable through the front derailleur cable pathway. In the meantime, I'm old school and used to getting the weight back behind the fixed seat height.

Get this bike if you accept the reality that 100mm of travel is enough for most riding conditions (especially for the 40+ crowd) and you love an amazing deal. I am blown away with the performance of this $2K dollar bike. Anything comparable in weight, performance or components would be $5 -$6K.

Don't get this bike if you need a ton of reviews to trust a manufacturer. I felt OK about the lack of negative reviews and the general popularity of Team Bulls (who ride this frame). I hope that the warranty will be honored if needed and that parts will be available when needed (rear pivots). Don't get it if you value internal cable routing and slacker head angles that are becoming all the rage. My compromise on cable routing was to swap in blue zip ties when I had to cut most of them to helicopter tape the downtube.

2012 Cannondale Scalpel 29 Carbon 2

OVERALL
[Jan 13, 2016]
KevinShoes

Strength:

A true XC race bike. Incredible power transfer and no pedal bob. The RS-1 fork and Monarch XX suspension shines and the XTR groupset has the best shifting performance of any groupset I've ridden.

The value is off the charts. A similarly spec'd bike from any other company would be knocking on $10k or more.

Stock tires can't be used tubeless, would prefer internal cable routing and a 1x drive train but none of these things are deal breakers. (that's why I put 4 chilis instead of five for overall)

This bike is just plain fast. While a lot of the industry is going to these "tweener" bikes that blend trail and XC riding, Bulls has bucked that trend and the result is superb. From my very first pedal stroke, the bike rocketed forward and in the past 4 months I've ridden it, I still get that sensation. In addition to feeling fast, I also feel extremely stable on the bike because of the longer wheel base from the lengthened chain stays. This lends itself to a "wheels on the ground" style which most racers develop anyways. Despite the long chain stays, the bike is surprisingly agile. It might not be as "flickable" as some trail bikes, but that's what the type of riding the bike is built for so can't fault it there.

The minor things I didn't like about the bike was the stock tires can't be set up tubeless. However, all you need to change that is the appropriate set of tires and some stems (the rims come pre-taped) and you're good to go. I also understand why they spec'd the 2x11 XTR system but having grown accustomed to a 1x11, I found a lot of my gearing as extraneous. Again, this can be fairly quickly remedied by a wolf tooth chain ring or a complete swap to a 1x XTR of the crank set. However, both front and rear derailleur are incredible and some people riding in more varied terrain than me might appreciate the 2x set up. Finally, for aesthetic reasons, I would have liked to have seen internal routing but that's a minor nit picky thing.

Bottom Line: If you're looking for a full suspension race bike, this should be it. Light, responsive, and most importantly fast.

OVERALL