Scott Genius 720 27.5 Full Suspension

The all new Genius 720 features a totally re-designed frame optimized for 27.5" (650b) wheels. The HMF carbon frame is offered in 150mm travel and mid to high end component spec. This is THE ultimate Trail bike.

• Frame: Genius 27.5 Carbon HMF
  • Parts: Syncros 1.5 Serie
  • Wheels: Syncros TR 2.5 27.5

• User Reviews (2)

Yalerider   All Mountain Rider [Jun 09, 2017]
    Strength:

2016, Nice bike, love the travel and weight, I am switching to 1x11

Cockpit to messy, switching to 1x11 and switching my dropper to left side, this should help

I'm a fairly new rider and got a very good deal on this bike. It is awesome! I know some people do not like the Twinlock but I find it very handy, I ride mostly in the middle position, and it soaks up bumps like tree roots very well. I don't like the dropper post remote at all, going to replace with a Wolftooth or KS Southpaw which I have on my Diamondback Sync'r and like. Climbing in the middle position seems to work pretty well also. I think this is a very good all around full suspension bike. If you need more travel they also offer this series with longer suspension. Plus size tire bikes out now as well.

OVERALL
    rj2   Racer [Feb 11, 2013]
    Strength:

The SLX brakes are amazing. I couldn't perceive any performance difference between those and XT.
    XT Shadow plus rear derailleur. Chain slap begone.
    Twinlock lever

DT Swiss shock not good as my RP23
    No dropper post

To paraphrase Jaws, you're gonna need a bigger bike to enjoy Annadel. Francis was trying to tell me that when he said I could borrow a bike for the pre-Pliny the Younger ride. So, I rode a medium Scott 650b Genius 720. Adjust the fork, shock, and tire pressures, set the saddle height, and ride.

The majority of my riding consists of commuting to work and cross-country racing. My Giant NRS, while great for racing, didn't do so well at Demo. All the things that make the NRS great, steep head and seat tube angles, short travel, and narrow bars, were ill-suited to more technical terrain. I could certainly ride it, but the bike was at or beyond its limits.

I first started riding the bike fully soft and kept getting pedal strikes. In addition, the steering was vague and sloppy. At our first regroup, Francis fixed that by showing me the Twinloc lever. It has three modes, open, traction, and lockout. I never needed lockout, but did most of my riding in the traction mode and switched to open mode for descents. The traction mode puts the shock in platform mode for climbing but leaves the fork fully active. It also raises the bottom bracket thereby increasing the head and seat angles, resulting in reduced pedal strikes and sharper steering. After that, climbing was great.

Coming from 26" wheels, I could definitely tell the difference on a 29er. Even light wheels were sluggish. Not so with 650b. They get up to speed quickly. And the Schwalbe Nobby Nic EVO Snake Skin tires hooked up and didn't pinch flat at low pressure. Riding conditions were hero dirt to slightly damp in the shade.

You can buy a game

I didn't know I could descend that well. It was fun rather than an upper body workout. The Scott gave me confidence to ride aggressively over technical terrain. Set the Twinlock to open, point the bike downhill, enjoy and repeat. This was not only my first ride on the bike, it was also my first time at Annadel. I even dropped someone on the descent. The Scott allowed me to focus on enjoying the ride vs. surviving.

OVERALL