Pivot Cycles Mach 6 27.5 Full Suspension

Pivot Cycles Mach 6 27.5 Full Suspension

With both mid-sized wheels and enduro being the buzz-worthy topics of the year, it comes with little surprise that the Pivot Mach 6 has garnered so much attention. With a lightweight carbon fiber frame, and enduro-tuned DW Link suspension, it has everything that you could ask for to haul the mail...

[Apr 27, 2016]
Jason Sumner
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

This bike rips.

Not the world's best climber.

One of the best 27.5 trail bikes on market today.

[Feb 03, 2016]
Tiptx

Strength:

Climbing, desending, cornering, jumping as I don't see a weakness in this bike at all. The suspension is so smooth that the back tires feels like it doesn't leave the ground therfore when flying thru rough terrain. I never seem to lose any traction.

I wouldn't consider this a weakness but I guess the more stickers a bike has the faster it goes Lol as this bike has plenty thats for sure.

This is by far the best bike I've ever ridden or have owned. I know there are plenty of other bikes out there that can and may outperform this bike but for what I’m looking for in a bike this one delivers in every category I could want. Plus I got a killer of a deal and I’m all about getting the most for my money. The other 2 bikes I was highly considering was the Ibis HD3 and the Evil Insurgent but never could find the deal I got on this beauty.
I've been extremely pleased with every aspect of this bike and would highly recommend this bike for Anyone who is looking for an agile bike with top suspension, it’s a sweet ride!. It feels very light under saddle, to have so much going for it is rare in the all-mountain bike category and it climbs with ease for this bike pedals really well. Uphill or down, put the power on and the bike responds very well no matter what you throw at it. It's a very nimble climber for having 150 mm of travel. I never felt like I was sitting too far back on the steeps - the bike was easy to keep an even weight distribution and keep the front wheel from wandering, this bike will definetly boost your confidence. It just feels so perfectly balanced when climbing or descending. There is nothing that this bike does not like doing. If you can spend the money on this type of bike you will never regret the money that have spent.
It was one of the best pedaling all-mountain/trail bikes I have ever ridden. Its smooth suspension movement also means consistent traction and roll over even when you're pushing the pedals hard, making it a great bike for blasting along twisting trails at serious speed. This bike is truly the jack of all trades, it climbs as good if not better than anything else out there & DW Link is the key factor here. It is stiff, strong, and quiet. It just doesn't matter how fast I ride or what I try to throw at it the bike just feels so solid. I will never buy any other bike without the DW Link suspension. It’s the real deal as I was one who wasn’t about to believe the hype but now after putting it to the test I’m totally convinced that this model the Mach 6 one of the favorite all time bikes ever to own. The Epiphany may have had the title of the Holy Grail of mountain bikes years ago but this one just took the title as this has raised the bar for all others to follow.

I've owned these bikes, Iron Horse, Trek Fuel, Giant Reign, Cannondale Scapel, Titus FTM carbon.

[Jan 10, 2016]
Steve Cortez
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Climbing descending and most of all just fun to ride

None yet

I will start of by saying I have owned everything from Intense 951, Heckler, Nomads, Tallboy, Tallboy LTc, Niner and the list goes on. Nothing I have ever ridden can climb like my 2016 Pivot Mach 6 in and out of the saddle, I have yet to come up to a drop or rock garden that I second guessed this bike. I have bought many bikes trying to find the perfect bike for me and have demoed at least a dozen or so. This is the PERFECT do-everything bike. It's super fun and fast. I currently own a Tallboy LTC and a Nomad 27.5 and they hardly get ridden since I got my Mach 6 and trust me I like both these bikes. I am still in my honeymoon phase with it but I don't see my love for her changing. Oh, I am 6'1" 40 year old guy who loves the downhill and have found that climbing is not so bad on the right bike.

Niner RIP9, Nomad, Heckler, Tallboy LTC

[Apr 27, 2015]
k2rider1964
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

There's nothing this bike doesn't do well but I'd say it's strongest point for me is how well it climbs for a 28 lb, 6" travel bike.

Cable routing is "different" but hasn't caused me any issues

What can I say other than this is the best bike I've ever owned and I've owned more than my fair share (just ask my wife). As I mentioned above, this bike does EVERYTHING well, just like pretty much every professionally written review has alluded to.

Tallboy LTc

[Feb 22, 2015]
Dan
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Handling, climbing, descending, looking good, making people jealous, weighing surprisingly little, still being stiff and confidence inspiring

Wish TT was a little lower, Shock mount came loose, Stock Maguras underpowered, Wish seatpost was a little lower, Pivot branding allllll over the bike

This is the most phenomenal, fun, do it all bike I've ridden. My day to day trails are very steep and rocky going up and down and it feels like I'm cheating on the climbs. I switched from a 70mil to a 60mil stem and raised the Pike to 160 for a downhilling trip in Peru and it was excellent. The harder I ride it and pumping downhill or pushing it hard into corners, the more it rewards me and hooks up even better.
My issues with it are very few and mostly nit-picky. I wish the TT was a little lower. I'm 6-3 but have relativity shorter inseam and so the TT is pretty snug to the jewels when not on the saddle (XL frame). This bike is so smooth that I occasionally ride it at our local mini-park course. I wish the top of the seat tube was lower so I could slam the saddle a bit more for doing light-duty jumps and obstacles. Also, I went with the matte black frame because the amount of times the Pivot name or logo appears throughout the bike is truly unbelievable.
None of these are enough to detract much from what is an amazing ride. You'll be spoiled too.

[Nov 17, 2014]
Throttlemire
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Handling. Climbing. Versatility. Balance.

Fox suspension. Stock stem, saddle, grips, tires. Cable routing

This frame deserves five chilis. The build kit and cable routing bring it down to four chilis. I bought the X01 kit in January of 2014 (after a two-month wait).

The bike can handle 99% of what you can throw at it on just about any trail outside of a bike park. I have been riding it for a solid ten months, so I've gotten to know the good and bad. I am an expert level rider and charge very hard. The bike is amazing at descending and being able to eat up the chunk. It corners amazing well and is very flickable for how solid it is on the descents. You can either lean back and straight line it and let the DW work it's majic, or zig and zag your way down the trail with incredible ease and confidence. The bike is super forgiving for how capable it is. The geo puts you in the exact right spot for aggressive riding, yet when it gets away from you, the bike somehow manages to save your ass if you can hold on and keep your weight in the right spot. On the flipside of that, you can overcook it pretty easily as the bike is so fast and confidence insipiring.

The problems with the bike are the retarded cable routing - my LBS actually didn't use the "extenders" to keep the cable off the shock mount, so the mount has bad cable rub. You have to remove the shock to replace the RD cable or rear brake line. NOt a huge PITA, but not a good design. The rear axle is too close to the frame and the chain has actually rubbed on the frame in that section. No bottle mount inside the frame is also a drawback.

The bike can get noisy when the rear shock mounting bolt gets loose. The BB and headset have also made a lot of noise and I fixed that with simply removing then and cleaning them up with sandpaper and using lube when re-installing them. THe bike now has a different noise that I need to figure out.

Intense Carbine 275

[Oct 06, 2014]
Hank Rowe
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

"Balance" - see below

Obligatory cable comment - see below

I started reading Andrew's review, and thought "Did I post a review already"... then I saw the extensive back ground, and peeled back, so I'll just write my own. Also at 52, and purchased my first bike - Diamondback Ridgerunner in 1983 - and have ridden many, many since - raced some, and even won class twice, but prefer the longer all-day epics (don't we all?). My trail of choice (because I am 5 minutes riding time away) are the 50-Year trail network in Catalina, AZ (North of Tucson) - providing a range of flowing smooth singletrack, to incredibly steep and challenging granite rollers - hard-pack, rocky, chickenheads, sandy, boulders - it has it all, except the benefits of higher altitude in summer ;-)

My last "dream bike" is important - an '06 Titus Moto Lite, the last year of the company headed by Chris Cocalis. The 5" bike did allow me to break into the "all mountain" riding... a wonderful bike, which now - sadly - is relegated to the "back-up". For 8 years, she was not only my primary steed, but my only steed. She has done me more than well in riding nearly every trail system in the southwest to include trails in California, each of the 4-corner states, and a smattering of riding across the country - especially Pennsylvania. She rolled awesomely, and took me to some of the most stunning places that mountain biking can take you. But - like all good things, it was time.

In searching the market - I knew I was leaning towards 27.5", and was determined to find a 6" travel bike right around the 30# mark. And - it had to fit my "style"... while I will always keep my Titus, I pretty much am a monogamous trail rider. The glove had to fit.

Wow - did it. I pulled the trigger for the XT/Pro level, upgrading to a KS LEV dropper post, and OneUp conversion to a 1x10. I won't belabor the others I tried - which were all nice - but my first ride on the shop demo told me "this was it" - and now having taken her out, introducing her to the epics slowly (mostly because my fat ass gained 20# over this summer!)... she fits like that old, worn, glove that you always reach for - yet, with the cool graphic/color, and the ride... oh the ride... you know. I have been able to play a bit, finding that she takes care of my stupid line choice with ease. Don;t try to stand and pedal (unless you need that little boost of body english)... drop a gear and remain in the climb. I could go through all that this bike can do, and will instill in me to do in the future - but bottom line - she is incredibly balanced. I literally feel like I'm in the middle of a well-articulated machine... confidence in the downhill, a steadfast climber, just rides the trails - anything that I've thrown at it so far (in a month or so of riding) - with ease and purpose. Given my past history, I will enjoy riding her in all the old familiar places, and many, many more for years to come :-D Thank you Chris Cocalis and all at Pivot!

Summary:
Incredibly balanced. Shocked not supplied with dropper post (though does allow rider preference). Cabling is awkward, but as one reviewer posted, there just aren't many options. Quick-fix: mechanic-extraordinaire-Dane zip-tied the crossing cables just above the frame shock, I made sure and slipped back to position lock-nub right with shock mount (so as to avoid contact with stansion during movement) - this has worked like a charm. Also - nice plate to cover the missing front derailleur - but now I need something to plug the routing hole for the said derailleur cable...

I'll be honest - aside from the little notes above (cable, etc), this bike is perfection. I cannot imagine a ride being more solid and balanced - and a true-build-weight of under 28# (includes dropper, Stans, pedals...), yeah... it's easy to carry when you have to ;-)

[Oct 05, 2014]
andrew
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

The obvious..downhill master. Quick turner. Dominating carver. Clean lines. No surprises, just a control machine. Nimble in technical climbing. Light for its travel class. XX1 is clean and simple, almost as good as XTR.

Your friends will be jealous forever.

At 52 years of age, I have been on a MTB since 1985. I have ridden every style of bike except for a recumbant. I have a strong XC background, and have raced super d and CX. Having lived in Jackson Hole, Hood River and Bend, I have been exposed to all MTB environments out there.
This bike is a dream come true and it surprises you each ride.
My friends say that i have said this about every bike i have owned. True that. But the difference here is you have a true all in one bike. I am very fit and have excellent technical skills that help offset the extra weight and slacker head angle of this 6 inch bike. Yet, i believe it still fits the one bike quiver class.
Every ride exposes more great qualities of this bike.

[Aug 13, 2014]
phantom beef
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

- DW Link quiver killer
- Top tier materials, progressive design, and quality build
- Very proficient climber - efficient pedaling with excellent power transmission and no pedal bob/feedback
- Bomber on descents - geometry/slack hta inspires confidence on steeps and 650b wheels roll easily through the chunder

- Cable routing - a little messy and requires some attention if you're ocd
- Anemic kenda nevegal / honey badger tires
- No factory spec'd dropper post at this pricepoint

To give a little background I started mountain biking in '97 on a Schwinn Homegrown, and in '06 i bought my first full suspension bike - an Ibex Ignition Sport (internet brand which basically copied the geometry of a Trek Fuel EX) which I rode till the wheels fell off. So in going to the M6 I basically upgraded from an '06 Hyundai Elantra to a '14 Lexus LFA.

I live in the Denver metro area along the front range, and ride 3-4 times a week mostly consisting of local trails (LOTB, apex, buffalo creek, indian creek, waterton canyon, mount falcon, ridgeline) and average rides are in the 10-15 mile / 1k-2k ft. range. I also own a '13 Spesh Status 2 strictly for DH lift-served riding at Trestle/Sol Vista/Keystone, and while I choose not to subject the M6 to that kind of abuse, it can easily handle all of the DH terrain I ride while being a very efficient pedaler.

The M6 inspires confidence on the ups and downs, and leaves a $#iT eating grin on your face. Before the M6 I was intimidated by some of the more difficult climbs along the front range (Mount Falcon, Apex, Waterton Canyon on the CO Trail section), but ever since I bought the M6 not only have I conquered those climbs on numerous occasions but I'm also finding that I'm confident enough to explore new trails without feeling like I might be getting in over my head; and I'm riding much more than I ever have because it's just an all around blast to ride. I'm even setting new PR's on Strava - without being a Stravahole of course - beating old PR's sometimes in the order of minutes. To date, I've owned the M6 for four months and am proud to say I have already logged over 400 miles and 50k feet over 50 hours of riding (Moab, Fruita, Sedona, and the front range) and the M6 continues to push me to progress my skills and ride harder and faster every minute I'm on the trail. If you have the means I highly recommend

[Jun 29, 2014]
noish

Strength:

DW Link, lightweight, excellent uphill handling.

Flexy rear, fox CTD float x

Switched from Ibis Mojo HD to a Pivot Mach 6 this season. Both 650b. While very similar, I have to say that the Ibis rear triangle is significantly stiffer. The Pivot rear is fairly noodley/flexy. Sometimes the rear tire will hit the seat stay on a ride. While both sport the DW link rear suspension, the Pivot is a bit more bobby with pedaling than the Ibis. Maybe its the CTD float X. Descend mode has zero compression dampening, and Trail1-3 offer a dead feeling. I don't know how else to describe it. The shock wallows a bit in the midrange.
I do appreciate the fit of the Pivot. BB height is just right. Steering and uphill handling are great. While I think it's a great bike, these my impressions after coming off a similar bike. In fact, I moved all components and switched only the frame and rear shock. So a pretty even comparison. The 650b trail bike concept is a great idea and a lot of fun.

Please note: I am just a guy who rides for fun and do not get any deals from any of these companies. Yep, I pay retail.