Motobecane HAL6 Team 12 27.5 Full Suspension

Motobecane HAL6 Team 12 27.5 Full Suspension

Full Eagle 1×12 drivetrain, RockShox suspension and Guide brakes are the highlights.

[Apr 07, 2018]
rubixcube

Strength:

HAL6 w/ Pike fork, and XT11 Edition, matte black, 44cm. Strengths: component choice, value, suspension design, short wheelbase. Very solid well-made frame, plush suspension, great aesthetics, Very satisfied with this purchase. The price of just the components would add up to around the price paid for the whole bike. It's like getting the frame for free. I am 5'10.5" tall w/ 31" inseam. 44cm bike fits perfectly. Glad I didn't get the 46cm size.

Weaknesses. None discovered so far. Rides great on my local trails. We'll see how it rides in the mountains this summer.

Price Paid:
$1599
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2018
[Jan 03, 2018]
Billy T

Strength:

This is my second Motobecane MTB and 3rd overall (one is a roadie). You simply can't beat them for value, quality and components. I purchased the Hal6 Team12 because my other MTBs are XC oriented (including a Cannondale Scalpel) so I wanted to add a trail bike to the stable. Both of my Motobecanes have better component packages than my Cannondale which had a MSRP $1,000 higher! The Hal6 is a great bike which my large weighs in right at 30 lb, comparable to high-end carbon fiber trail bikes. The Eagle drive system is super simple and very confidence inspiring. Like the other reviewer I love the XT brakes. They are superior to the SRAM brakes I have on other bikes. I installed a Fox Transfer 100 mm dropper post and appreciate the cable routing Motobecane installed beneath the top tube for a clean look. This bike is super maneuverable, jumps and wheelies very easily. I have around 800 miles on it and have had to do very few adjustments. I replaced the chain around 600 miles. Be careful when installing a new Eagle chain because the power link is uni-directional. I found it will skip if it's not in the correct orientation. I run a 2.2 tire front and 2.4 rear, tubeless and 20 psi in both.

I found the longest travel dropper post I could install is 100 mm because of the bend in the seat tube. Internal cable routing is the only other thing but I don't know that a lot of aluminum bikes offer it anyway. I prefer aluminum over carbon fiber, especially for a trail bike because there is no significant weight difference for 6" travel bikes I've compared either way. And Motobecane installed cable routing for a dropper post under the top tube as I mentioned in the strengths.

I live in South Florida and ride technical single track trails with short ascents/descents. I would love to get this baby to a downhill park. I know it can very well handle anything I could throw at it after MTBing regularly since the early 90s.

Cannondale Scalpel 3
Motobecane Fantom Team
GT I-drive 4, 5.0

[May 15, 2017]
str8.cash
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Value; solid geometry with tried and true suspension

No 27.5+ or boost wheel accommodation; no internal routing for seatpost;

33in inseam
10-20 miles per week

My thoughts on the Hal6 Team 12-

What a f@#k'n deal!

I received my 46cm (Lg) about a month ago and have 60ish miles logged along the Wasatch Front. The bike is still getting broken-in and I haven't even removed the dork disc yet. I probably should because the SRAM Eagle set up is the most confidence inspiring drivetrain I have ever pedaled and I am not really worried about throwing the chain into the spokes. The folks who assembled the bike at BD set the limits perfectly, in fact, the only adjustment I have made is a half turn on the barrel at the shifter following the typical cable stretch of a new bike.

I know there are those out there poo-pooing the Motobecane line. And there are some valid criticisms: the tire clearance is awfully small (really, who wants to go through the hassle of mounting a new tubeless tire to find out it rubs on the chain stays), there's no 27.5+ or boost option, there's no internal routing (which now most droppers are offered) for the seatpost. But these are small potatoes. Fatter tires would be nice but they're not a deal breaker; the 27.5+ or boost standard has not been universally embraced so don't expect component prices to be affordable; and the routing can be augmented with a cable to the dropper base like the KS Lev.

The bike still has some outstanding attributes besides value.

Climbing. That's where this bike shines.The short chain stays and good old-fashioned Horst Link (the original VPP suspension) maximize efficiency. Lockout the Monarch Plus RC3 and the tail is practically monolithic. The 50 tooth end of the 12speed Eagle cassette is as low as a rock crawler's winch and I have only used it a few times. That said, I think Euro-led charge to the 32front with 42back is asinine. The SRAM 11speed setup is going to make the average rider get out of the saddle too often and push. If you're doing 3000ft+ verticals, especially out West where your ascent is long and uninterrupted, there is no respite with such tall gearing. Better drop that chainring down to a 30, Franz. Consider the HAL6 XT11 with the 46rear Shimano XT (which has a levered clutch rear derailleur hanger!) but you give up a half degree of slack head angle with the slightly shorter Revelation Fork.

Downhill. The HAL6 is a blast. The venerable Shimano XT brakes are still the standard. Quiet, indefatigable they are my favorite brakes. I have had them or their SLX stablemates on several bikes and I love them. I don't know how you could make them better except by shaving off a few grams. The Pike fork is awesome too. It's burly and rigid and after turning the wide WTB handlebars you know your bike is heading where you want it. This version of the Pike still has a compression function that can be stiffened for the pedal back up the hill. The WTB tires are pretty good just wish they had wider channels between the side and center lugs to vacate the sand and loominess when turning. The head angle could be slacker but this bike is not really an Enduro; it is more of a Trail+ bike and I think I'll be clipped in 90% of the time. The overall geometry is balanced and I have found myself landing on the rear tire when just a second before I thought I was headed for an endo. Combined with the XT brakes I have been flying off the water bars going into a turn knowing I can stop and that I won't be leaning too far forward once I'm in the berm.

I'd give this bike a 4.5/5. The frame could be updated in a few minor areas. I personally think rear suspension technology is much ado about nothing. Newer designs have gone back to solid chain stays which I don't understand. The Horst-Link has a virtual pivot but it is less exaggerated since it is back near the axle. I have ridden proper VPP bikes and honestly think 27.5 wheels make a bigger difference when encountering a gnarly rock than where the second pivot is located. The CG and stand over height are pretty low but not as low as the newer enduros. I'll take the dividends when pedaling instead.

2006 Main WolfRidge (replaced); Demoed: 2017 SC Bronson, 2015 Giant Reign, 2014? Pivot Firebird