Marin Attack Trail 27.5 Full Suspension

The Attack Trail is designed and built for more classic all-mountain riding, with 150-160mm travel full-suspension chassis, and design features including low, slack geometry, short chainstays, smart component selections, and 27.5-inch wheels built with 21mm rims and 2.35-inch tires. The Attack Trail is built for rough backcountry runs.

mtnbkr80015   All Mountain Rider [Feb 20, 2015]
Strength:

Great spec, nimble geometry, competitive weight, Quad 3 suspension rising rate allows for great small bump compliance without blowing through the travel on big hits

Not as chi-chi as my previous bike, a Pivot Mach 6 Carbon, but even though the head angle is only marginally steeper, it handles uphill switchbacks better, and doesn't give up anything on the descent.

This review is for the 2014 Attack Trail CXT9. This review is more of a review of initial impressions, as I have owned this bike for only a short time. First off, this is a great looking bike with stout construction and great parts. I was able to sell of my Pivot and get this bike with money left over (one great perk of the Pivot is resale), and in my opinion is much better specced for less money than what I got with the Pivot. Geometry is great for all around riding and certainly great at descending. One of the things that attracted me to this bike besides the looks, geometry, and great parts spec, was the fact that it was adorned with 2x10. I have ridden many 1x11 and 1x10 equipped bikes and have found that 2x10 still offers better performance for a one bike quiver. I live in Colorado with some pretty steep extended climbs at elevation, and although doable on a 1x system, the added safety net of a granny sure helps. Now to the nitty gritty. The suspension is plush without any bounce or bob. It tracks well over small bumps and absorbs big hits and square edges with control. This bike does run a little shorter in the top tube than say a Mach 6, but still feels comfortable. The steep seat tube angle is appreciated on the climbs and gets you in a great position. I fact I have not even used the travel adjust on the fork yet for any climbs. Overall first impressions are that this is a great bike, will report later with any updates.