Knolly Warden 27.5 Full Suspension

The Knolly Warden sits smack dab in between the 140mm Knolly Endorphin and 160mm Knolly Chilcotin, the new Warden takes the best of both frames and adds the highly anticipated 27.5" wheel size. Features such as an adjustable bottom bracket height and head angle via shock position (same as Knolly Chilcotin) allow the rider to fine tune the geometry to whatever conditions you may encounter. Throw it in the steeper 67 degree head angle and 13.7" (337mm) bottom bracket height for a nimble trail bike or slam it down into the 66 degree and super low 13.3" (345mm) when you are ready to slay the steepest, most technical terrain that will be annihilated by the low stature of this frame and amazingly plush Four by 4 suspension! The Knolly Warden also blends the best of tubesets from both of it's immediate brothers (Knolly Endorphin and Knolly Chilcotin) to give you the lightest frame possible (6.75lbs) without making any sacrifices to stiffness which is paramount on a frame like this.

Jay   All Mountain Rider [Oct 13, 2016]
Strength:

Corners, climbs, stability, and descends

Me

The reason for this post is simple. I'm in my 40's, past my prime, and probably considered over weight by some so I'm an average Joe. I've ridden for years but backed off when kids came only to be brought back to the sport 9 years ago. I have had the pleasure of owning a yeti 575 and a Devinci Troy and the displeasure of owning a stumpjumper 650b. I also had 2 DH bikes in the Glory and the Flatline. I was at one time good, but now I'm average at best compared to the youth of today.

With that being said, I noticed the stability and gripping of the warden instantly. I cornered better right off the bat and climbed stuff I hadn't been able to in the past. The descent was so plush with the DB cane creek shock. I haven't landed this smooth in years. The bike made me better which could be scary because I still think I can do things I shouldn't anymore. Having a downhill back ground I felt comfortable enough to do things on the Warden that I would never try with any of my other trail bikes.

I never believed in giving a 5 out of 5 before as no bike is perfect, but for me, at the age I'm at, I found one.

Great bike. Absolutely love it.

Travis Bickle   All Mountain Rider [Oct 02, 2015]
Strength:

Climbing
Cornering
Descending
Suspension
Stiffness
Geometry

Hmmm? Does need the climb switch on the road.

I have been on my Warden for 8 months now and have enjoyed every minute. I live on Vancouver Island and agonized whether to get a bike in this class or something with a little less travel. I shouldn't have worried as the Warden handles all kinds of trails well. Super steep descents, no problem, which is what you'd expect. Crazy tech climb, wow, it claws it's way up. Corners great, and no problem adjusting your line. I'm 5'9.5" on a medium with a 50mm stem, and 770mm bar. It fits great. Small enough to be agile, and roomy enough that long spins are comfortable. The 4x4 with the CC Inline soaks up the trail and big hits seemlessly. This bike has boosted my confidence and is maybe the best for an area like this.

Similar Products Used: Turner 5 Spot, RFX, Highline, and more
jimberjack   Weekend Warrior [Oct 07, 2014]
Strength:

4 x Four suspension means its a great climber
Stiff frame
sure footed in off camber situations
stable and predictable on the downhills

not the most efficient climber

I have owned both the Chilcotin and Endorphin. I found myself most at home on the Endo, as I am more of a "wheels on the ground" rider. However, I did miss the "do anything" ability of the Chilly. This bike is a great combination of the two bikes, for the person who can't have both.

I found the DB Inline to my liking immediately. The adjustable range on the climb switch provides an even greater level of tenability to this amazing shock, and makes this very active suspension tame-able and tune-able on the fly.

I have not found the limits of this bikes climbing ability, only my own. It goes up as long as you can pedal. The level of confidence you gain with this knowledge makes you better, and makes you eye up every hill you never thought you could climb.

On the downhill, the best word I can think of is stable. At speed, slow and techy, railing berms, it goes where you point and just feels right.

The geometry of these bikes makes them feel like a glove as soon as you hop on. You don't need to do a lot of fancy body-english to climb or descend. And if you do move, it doesn't cause a harsh reaction.

Overall, my favorite bike ever!

Similar Products Used: Knolly Chilcotin
Knolly Endorphin
Giant Reign
MTBMarkWa   All Mountain Rider [Sep 23, 2014]
Strength:

Climbs well
Descends amazingly
Active but controlled rear suspension

Maybe a little heavier than some other bikes in this catagory, but you will never notice.

Except for my first ride, I have only ridden my Warden in the slack setting.

On the climbs, the bike climbs very well. It's not as effecient as the Endophin, but its close enough. I found that unlike my Chilcotin, that I can ride up the steepest of climbs in the slack setting on the Warden without having to focus quiet so hard on keeping the front end planted. For this reason I run my Chilcotin in the steep setting unless im at a bike park. I dont feel the need to do this with the Warden.

On the descents, the bike shines, like all Knolly's do. It wants to go fast and inspires confidence. I was concerned that the 27.5 in wheels would be a issue in the corners, like the 29ers I have owned in the past. This turned out to be a non-issue. The bike is a blast in the turns. On rough technical downhills, the bike also feels at home. I think this is where I notice the benefits of the 27.5 inch wheels the most. It rolls through the rocks with a little more ease.

The 4x4 suspension system is worthy of its own mention. I've had the fortune to own quite a few bikes. Hard tails, Horst links, DW-link, etc. I like a active but controlled rear suspension, and the 4x4 is exactly that. No pedal feedback, no getting hung up, no locking up on high speed chunk, no wallowing in its travel on the climbs. It sounds strange to say, but it really has it's own unique feel. On the boring parts of the trail I find myself purposely rolling over rocks in the trail as I like the way the rear suspension feels. While each Knolly I have owned has been a little different in how Noel has the 4x4 to get the ride he wants out of the bike, you can still feel it's a 4x4 Knolly.

After 500+ miles on riding, I have found the Warden to be the best all around mountain bike I have ever owned. For me, the Warden is the bike I have been looking for. At 29lbs its light and comfortable enough for the 5-6hr epics, but it's also an amazing descender.