KHS SixFifty 6500 27.5 Full Suspension

• Avid Elixir 5 Hydraulic brakes 160mm rotors

• USER REVIEWS

[Jun 04, 2018]
    JackRP07

Strength:

This bike rides very quiet except for when you stop pedaling and you here a lovely zizzing sound from the hub :). This bike is surprisingly light and goes uphills just as easy going downhills. I was debating between a Giant Anthem SX and the KHS and do not regret my decision.

Grips must be changed ASAP, which I did.

Purchased:
    New
    Model Year:
    2015
    [Oct 16, 2017]
    Dave T
    All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Great at tech climbing and descending. Nee rear suspension design works really well

Tall bottom bracket height and slightly steeper steer tube angle make ultra fast descents a little more interesting

Been riding the 2017 version for 5 or 6 months now. And I love it. My local trails are very tecky, no really long climbs or descents more short and punchy in both directions. So for me the weaknesses are actually pluses. I rarely pedal strike and the steering is just quick enough that I can cut corners really tight.
    The new dual link rear suspension works flawlessly, it is very well behaved when climbing with almost no noticeable peddle bob and on the downhills I haven't found it's limit yet. It has made me a significantly faster descender.
    The only issue I've had with the bike was the rear hub. I stripped the teeth off the engagement ring and had to warranty the wheel. Warranty was really painless and I was riding again within a week kudos to my LBS and the distributor. Unfortunately I started breaking off teeth on the first ride with the replacement wheel. Long story short KHS has a better solution in place now and the gave me some money towards building up an Industry9 wheel rather than wait for their solution to be implemented.
    Final thoughts, I love this bike. It's fast and responsive and very predictable. Nothing to complain about in the build kit, GX11 works great, and SLX brakes just work.

Rocky Mountain Altitude 70

[Sep 12, 2017]
    Marty
    All Mountain Rider

Strength:

2017 Model has the 1 x 11 and the FAST rear suspension. Both huge upgrades. Bike is the best value on the market. But then again when you really make you bike it should be.

Grips 1st thing to upgrade

Best value factory made bike

[Nov 10, 2016]
    Joshua Adams

Materials, construction and quality

I've owned a 2012 khs sixfifty 656xc for about 4yrs. the rear triangle had broken 3 times in the last 2 years, one 4 months ago caused a crash and resulted in a broken arm. this last break of the seatstay they have refused to warranty the part. instead they said they'd sell it to me for $300. the quality of the materials they use is &#%$. and now their customer service had turned to %&#$. there's one guy there trying to do good by their customers and they don't listen to him enough.
    a bike less then 5 years old is now junk because they won't warranty a seatstay. it's bull%&$#. Everyone needs to know when buying their products that you may eventually run into this problem. They've lost a loyal customer.

[Apr 24, 2015]
    John
    All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Good geometry, quality frame, versatile for upgrading, great in-between-all-around-bike. Enough travel for all-mountain, enough travel not stop steep climbs

Seat post tube is limited to shorter dropper post because of angled configuration. 2015 or 2016 models fixed the problem

Overall great bike, long travel trail bike that climbs decent, descends well and is a fun bike to ride. Great frame for beginners to advanced rider. Bike was fun to ride in Santa Cruz, Skeggs Point, Soquel and all over San Diego. Love my Intense Spider 29er, but find myself riding the KHS more often.

Intense Spider 29er

[Jul 03, 2014]
    Nurse Ben
    All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Price, Quality, Performance

Factory specs are good, but a shorter stem, wider bars, a smaller chainring (30t), and a longer travel fork really make it shine

I purchased the KHS 6500 as my first FS bike after years of riding 29er rigids and mountain unis. I wanted a bike that reminded me of my Kona Honzo (downhill stable and playful), but more agile at low speeds, a better climber, and having some cush in the back end to keep the wheel in contact with the ground. I chose a 27.5 for all the reasons we know well ;)

The KHS 6500 falls into the new frame paradigm: long TT, slack HA, and short stem; though it comes with a long stem (scratched my head on that one).

I tried many bikes from all the big names and in the end I found that the KHS rode as well as the best of them and better than most. What sold me on the KHS 6500 was the overall fit and finish, the excellent XO1 group, and the willingness of my LBS to upgrade the fork to a 150mm Pike. The fork came from a Troy :)

The KHS in factory form with the 140mm Revelation feels like an XC bike with a lot of travel, so a tad twitchy on the downs at speed, not quite an enduro and not quite an XC. In factory form I'd give it four thumbs up. By upgrading to a 150mm Pike, changing the gearing, and adjusting the fit (stem and bars), I got a slightly more slack front end, an additional 10mm of travel, a super plush ride, and a balance of performance.

With the fork upgrade, 740mm bars, and a 45mm stem, the KHS 6500 is a great all around bike for fast downhills, technical riding, rough terrain, gettiing air, and it doesn't compromise on climbing. Granted, KHS is not a big name on the retail side, but the price is also not refelctive of a big name; and honestly it is not rocket science to design a decent bike.

KHS designs bikes for Specialized, so they know what they are doing, but being more of a manufacturer to the manufactureers, they are able to produce a bike with good geometry, a solid parts group, and sell it for thousands less than the competition. If you can overcome the "non main brand" bias, this is a great ride.

If you want a less expensive entre into the 27.5 FS world, take a look at the KHS 5500 which sports a 2 x 10 drivetrain and X Fusion suspension, it's a real bargain and it shares the frame with the 6500.

Specialized Stumpy FSR 26, Kona Honzo, Redline Monocog, munis, tandems

[Jul 03, 2014]
    Drew Blackstone

Strength:

Fast, efficient, climbs amazing, descends great, gives you a ton of confidence, very capable bike.

Avid brakes. If you buy this bike replace these brakes immediately with some shimano xt ice techs. I have had many problems with these AVIDS

Overall this bike is great. I love this bikes ability to fly on hardcore xc courses but it also will feel right at home at highland, whistler or your favorite downhill course and you can just ride back up and come down again. This bike is the best all round bike for New England trails. I came in third overall in Maine High School mountain bike series Jv with this bike.

[Dec 29, 2013]
    DenVen

Strength:

Climbs and handles good. Decents are fun. Great overall -All Mtn bike.

Rear tire is awful and was replaced, did not come with tubeless already setup. Has a really low BB which is great for handling but is prone to hit rocks at times.

Great overall bike. Climbs well, handles like a 26er, decends great. I have had this bike for 6 months. Ridden on trails about 30 times. The lock out is great for climbing. You can ride on open, half, or full lockout. Very little bobbing in half lockout.
    Components are full SRAM and are solid. 2x10 is the way to go. Looking for a 27.5? This is a good bike for the $. Besides the rear tire, I've had no mechanical issues.