Pacenti Cycles Quasi-Moto 650B x 2.0 27.5 Tires

Pacenti Cycles Quasi-Moto 650B x 2.0 27.5 Tires

We thought the Neo-Moto was going to be a tough act to follow, but this svelte XC / Enduro race tire has already proven itself up to the challenge. The Quasi-Moto has garnered incredibly high praise as a fast, lightweight XC racing tire and has quickly shown its winning potential with a National Title victory at Mt. Snow, in July of 2008!

• ZSG compound, Anti-SnakeBite Chafer
  • Smaller, wider-spaced knobs for a faster rolling tire
  • Hardpack to semi-loose conditions
  • Made by Panaracer
  • Tire Use: Mountain
  • Color Tread/Side: Black
  • Tire Type: Clincher
  • Tire Diameter: 650b
  • ISO Width: 51 mm
  • ISO Diameter: 584 / 650b / 27.5"
  • Tire Bead: Folding
  • PSI: 35 PSI

• USER REVIEWS

[Feb 04, 2010]
    cobym2

Strength:

Light, fast rolling. Reasonably high volume for a 2.0 tire, sheds mud

Traction in the dry loose stuff, price.

The quasi has been on the rear with a Neo up front. On loose steep climbs, the quasi loses grip and will cause some spin outs. On loose descents, stay off that rear brake or the quasi-rear might break away. the tire's knobs are really too small for loose dry stuff.

It is light and pedals well, however. Also, on hardpack, tarmac and loam, they hooked up ok and broke away very predictably. They also shed mud easily, which is crucial given the 650B chainstay clearance.

Its still a good xc/race tire in the right conditions.

But I think the Neo-moto in 2.1 seems like a better idea for aggressive trail riding.

Lastly, it is expensive.

Neo moto, nevegal, etc.

[Oct 20, 2009]
    Darrell

Strength:

Rolls fast. Faster tire than the Neo-Moto on hardpack. Lighter than the Neo-Moto by 200g but it's a faster, lighter feeling tire than the Neo-Moto.

I'd pick the Neo for more aggressive conditions but for fast midwest hardpack this is the pick

I've run the Neo-Motos for almost 2 years. This year I switched to Neo front/Quasi rear and used that for my race combo. Recently I switched to Quasi front/rear and what a difference it makes! The bike instantly felt lighter and faster.

I've been comparing this setup to the previous riding back to back on hardpack trails that I've raced on and I'm riding faster on the Quasi's. I wish I had switched earlier this year. Most of my riding is on hardpack mixed with babyheads and roots.

[Jun 06, 2009]
    skinl19

Strength:

Lightweight, low rolling resistance, works well in loamy soil

Gravel and loose over hardpack. Very wet conditions but what would you expect from a race oriented tire?

I have been riding and racing on 29'ers for the past two years but this year I decided to add a Scalpel back to the stable with the intent of using a 29" up front, similar to a few pros. The experiment didn't last too long as the handling was not to my liking. Next up was to try a 650b, the same as Jeremiah Bishop.

I had read good reviews of the Quasi-Moto so opted to try it. The 650b size and the Quasi seems like the perfect combination for most or our Midwestern trails as long as there is not too much gravel or loose rocks. I think the Neo will probably hook up better in those conditions.

The Quasi hooks up especially well in the loamy and hardpack conditions and seemed to work in the mud fairly well. The shorter knobs do not allow the mud to really pack up. But they also will not dig down very far so some caution in wet conditions is in order.

Overall I am very pleased with the tire and it will be seeing race duty over the summer. I am looking forward to the introduction of the Neo in the 2.1 but may get it in the 2.3 and fuss with the knobs to reduce some rolling resistance and save weight.

None in the 650b

[Nov 15, 2008]
    Rainman

Strength:

Light, fast, good grip in the dry, sheds mud well, can be run tubeless.

Lethal in the wet. Most tires are though.

A very fast small knobbed tire built for the 650B racer rider.
    Good grip in the dry, surprisingly good actually for the knob size. I'm running them Ghetto tubeless on Velocity Blunt rims provided by Stu at Definitive Cycles.
    These are the smaller knobbed brother to the Neo Moto which was voted "Tire of the Year" by MTBR. Kirk Pacenti is responsible for funding these tires which are made for him by Panaracer.
    I only have a couple of nits to pick with this tire, and one involves the casing. Because the knobs are small and widely spaced, the casing is more vulnerable to cuts and abrasions in rocks, especially the sides of the tire.

I haven't had one cut through, but they have been scuffed quite deeply by rock abrasions. Nevertheless, no flats or burps from the little Quasi's on the Velocity Blunt rims so far. The tire is very fast, and would definitely suit the cross country racer type looking for a fast roller with good grip.
    I don't like the Quasi in the wet, it slides out like it's larger brother the Neo Moto. In the dry conditions, it's a great little tire. Definitely the way to go if you like to race on 650B size wheels.

Rainman.

Pacenti Neo Moto.

[Jun 11, 2008]
    Cracked Headtube

Strength:

Fast rolling tire. It grabs when it needs to. It sheds mud easily. Great Rear Tire. Will make a nice XC race set-up for front and rear. Fits 26" tires easier than the Neo-Moto ( though manufacturers don't recommend this). Comparable weight to 26" tires. Converts to Tubeless with sealant. Very nice, round profile when mounted on Stan's ZTR 355.

Sand. This tire did not like sandy conditions. Here in FL there are often beaches in the middle of thick forest. When the earth becomes dry and loose look for the firmest line possible. Just remember this is designed as a XC race type tire, and so far I have tested this as such.
    No quite the perfect ALL-ROUND Tire, but the 650B realm is getting closer.

My initial thought when I saw this tire was that it was going to be a weak performer as I am used to something a bit more knobby. My first ride on this tire was in ultra muddy wet conditions. They rode great, I slipped once, but was not disappointed. I attempted the same conditions with a bike with Neo-Motos on front and rear. The mud built up and the Neo-Motos were much heavier in their rotation.
    The lack of aggressive knobs seemed to shed mud well, and still grabbed the muck.
    On hard terrain the Quasi rolls quick with confidence.
    Overall weight of this tire is great. At approx 570g for the prototypes, expect the production run to be a bit different.
    Another great product from Pacenti Cycle Design