Jamis Dragon 27.5 Hardtail

Jamis Dragon 27.5 Hardtail

And we’re at it again with 650B. Committed. The performance attributes and the versatility of the 650B wheel size are just too good to ignore for the sake of standards. And what better platform to bolt a set of ‘tweener wheels to than a Dragon? A new immediate sell-out after it’s introduction last year, the 2013 version – with American Classic tubeless wheels, Crank Brothers cockpit and Schwalbe Racing Ralph rubber – is sure to repeat.

[Aug 21, 2015]
David

Strength:

Nimble, Acceleration, hard tail simplicity

stock tires, component failures

I have been mountain biking for 25 years and learned on steel hard tails. Over the years I have tried and owned many variants of the mountain bike but have always had a steel hard tail in my stable. I have a 2014 Dragon Pro and it does 90% of what I personally need a mountain bike to do. I ride East Coast fast, twisty single track, 2 to 6 hours at a time. The bike is nimble enough to handle the twisties, its light enough to get me through a day of climbing and it is flexible enough for those fast root covered down hill runs. If you are a rock hopper or enjoy launching off drops then this is not the bike for you. The only issues I have had with the bike are with some of the components spec'd. The Sram X9 rear derailleur snapped while climbing. The Avid Elixir brakes are almost impossible to adjust and the stock tires, although very fast on hard pack soils, did not have enough grip on anything else.

Jamis Dakota steel hard tail, Jamis 26 inch Dragon

[May 20, 2015]
bbob

Strength:

Like the other poster: 650B. Steel frame. Head angle. American Classic wheelset. (tubeless ready) White Bros Loop fork.

Non-dropper post seat tube, lots of $ for a hard tail. Racing Ralph's tires, straight steerer tube (2013 model)

Note: I have been rmtn bike riding for 20 yrs, however; this is my 1st bike with a high end fork and disc brakes. My previous ride was a short travel FS bike. I ride 2-3 times a week, 50 % road/ trails. I ride in the north east coast: from tight and twisty with roots, rocks etc to open and lots of flow.

I own a 2013 Jamis Dragon 650b hardtail. The top tube routing doesn't bother me. However; I wish the bike was dropper post ready. The new models address both these issues, as well as updating to tapered headset. I purchased it as a left over and got a great deal on it. This is why I didn't go and buy a new model.

The steel frame is amazing and absorbs lots of vibration. I like the geometry, it is a fun bike to ride. And being a hard tail, the acceleration is really nice. Set up tubeless, it is around 25 lbs. The 120 mm white brothers fork is easily adjustable and once adjusted it really stiff and plush. At the end of the ride I am amazed that I used the whole travel, it never feels like it bottomed out. Even though the headset is not tapered, I probably would never update the fork, it is very nice. I thought I would miss the rear suspension, but with the nice fork, I just don't.

The wheels are great, and tubeless set up was easy with a compressor. The tires might be nice and fast, but I feel I need more grip. People do like these, so it probably be easy to sell them.

The avid elixir 5 brakes are good, they work and haven't squealed on me too much. The reach is adjustable which is nice. The SLX components work well, I have no complaints.

I like the 27.5 tires, I really do feel they are the best of both worlds. Overall, I am very happy with bike. The new models address all the issues I have with this bike. Even with these issues, this will be my primary mtn bike and I plan on keeping it for a while.

[Sep 09, 2012]
Torpor

Strength:

650B. Steel frame. Head angle. American Classic wheelset. White Bros Loop fork.

Elixer 3s. Crankset and drivetrain could be better for pricepoint. Cable guides on top tube (see review).

I ride a variety of trails from "all mountain" to dirt roads. Wanted a new hardtail and was intrigued by both the steel frame and the 650b wheel size. I've had this bike for about 8 months and it's definitely my favorite bike for 90% of the trails I ride. The steel frame and 650b wheels handle the rocks and technical features quite well. Climbs great (as you expect a hardtail to do so) but the head angle makes the descents fun too. The White Bros Loop was great from the first ride - little to no break in needed. Might feel a little "soft" for some - but I'm more than pleased. The Syncros bars are wider than anything I've run before and felt odd the first very time, but I see the advantages of that width now. Even when they want to grab bushes and trees....

Steel certainly is real. On tight snappy trails at speed I feel some of that flex, especially from the back. But I love the ride quality overall. The 650b wheels are fantastic - very easy to get up/over/around things with some of the rolling benefits of a 29er. In my opinion - best of both worlds. When I get a new full suspension it will absolutely be a 650b.

Some niggles - you are paying a lot of dough for a 27lb hardtail. Some of that is for the steel frame, but it's also part of being an early adopter of 650b maybe. I noticed the 2013 Dragons are priced the same as the 2012s - with perhaps some better components (not sure). I HATE HATE HATE the cable guides on the top tube. The are offset just to the side and are digging a perma-hole into my leg. This bike can tackle a lot of terrain - terrain on which you move around on the bike. I can wear longer shorts or cover them with electrical tape I guess. Just poor design in my opinion. Not a fan of the Avid Elixers - read reviews on those brakes and decide for yourself. Doesn't come with a quick release seatpost clamp and I believe (I could be wrong) that the seatpost diameter keeps you from running a dropper post.

Overall, I consider this a great bike. Geometry is spot on for anything you want to throw at it. The SLX drivetrain isn't sexy - but has performed admirably. No complaints yet. The wheel size is PERFECT and I'm really enjoying the feel of a steel frame. This bike capably handles a wide variety of trails - from burly to groomed. From up, up, and more up to ass sitting on the rear tire descents. It's not a racer bike - it's a mountain bike. I love it.

I'm 5'9 and a 17" frame fits like a glove.