Giant Talon 27.5 Hardtail

• Shifters: Shimano Deore
  • Brakes: Shimano M395, hydraulic disc, 160mm

[Apr 14, 2018]
Talon73

Strength:

Talon 1 I purchased this bike for £750.00 in 2017 It handles every terrain you throw at it and loves it. It really comes into its own on the trails and will put a smile on your face and keep it there all day. It's quick, the gears are smooth and the disc breaks are very responsive making the ride enjoyable. Steering is nimble and assured. I love this bike!

None. Just the purchase price.

Price Paid:
2017
[Aug 25, 2017]
Jake from DownUnder
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

I bought my Giant Talon 5 2014 model back in Oct' 13 for $550 AUD.. So I reckon I've had a good chance to test it. Firstly, for what it is, this bike far exceeded any of my expectations. To this day, it still shifts well, handles well on and off the trails, will take jumps in its stride and so on. I now own a 2017 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR which has replaced it as my main trail bike, but on the occasion when I do take the Talon out, will will still keep up with the Santa Cruz's, Specialized and Ibis bikes of the guys I ride with just fine.
To take into consideration is the price with these bikes, you won't be getting a full suspension on anything like that, but in my case, has still have a reliable bike which I can use and have used thus far, without replacing any parts but the tyres.
On the note of tyres, I run all Maxxis, with Maxxis Forekaster 27.5x2.35 on the front, Maxxis Aggressor 27.5x2.30 on the rear. This paired with Maxxis Freeride 27.5x2.2-2.5 inner tubes, I've not had a flat in about 9 months or so.
The brakes on the bike have been excellent, only needing to be bled and redone this year.

Aside from it being a hard tail and thus limiting its ability to soak up those hits that travel straight up the seat post and into your clacker, the only real weaknesses with the bike are the SR Suntour XTC coil spring forks, which have a slight bit of movement at 4 years of heavy use, and the 3x8 drivetrain - makes quite a bit of noise (chain slap and all) and at time has had some sissies shiftIng, but nothing a quick tune-up can't fix.

Overall, it's a pretty damn good and durable bike for the price point. If you compare it to a FS MTB, you will be disappointed. If what you're looking for is an XC/ hardtail trail bike, this will fit the bill. I have dabbled even into intermediate (blue square) downhill with this thing, and although uncomfortable, it handled it and it never felt unsafe. A solid and well-lasting bike for $550.

[Jun 24, 2017]
Daryle Abrahams

Strength:

Reassuringly in touch with the ground.

None so far, after two years.

Absolutely love this bike. More than enough for anyone getting back in the saddle, or even in the saddle for the first time. I'm 240 lbs and it behaves beautifully. Control is excellent, ride is great. No adjustments needed for the first 18 months. A pleasure to ride. Disc breaks, Tektro levers, etc, are precise and the running gear is smooth.

[May 24, 2017]
Andrew Johnson
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Bars
Looks
Brakes
Drivetrain
Mine came with metal pedals
Tires

Cons
The wheels
The intertube

So Ive had this bike for 4 days and I haven't been out on the trails yet when I got this bike it was muddy so I rode it on the driveway and like how low the gears were. So I put it in the shed and the next morning was low, so I aired it up and let it be. The next day me and friend went out riding on the rode again my tire was low so we went to his house and filled it up then we proceeded to bike 5 miles back to my house we rode in the grass did some small 5 foot jumps on to a landing and a 1 foot drop on to a landing. The person at the bike shop said it will be fine for that and it felt great. So I get home and look at the tire it is completely flat like 1 psi in it so I while I was looking the sidewall I noticed the wheel was cracked so I didn't even bother taking the tire off so I called my bike shop and they said they can replace it when I bring it in. I don't if this is due to the bike shop not checking the bike over well enough (because they built it that day) or from the small jumps over all I may not buy a bike from giant again or mabey not that bike shop if it is in your budget I would recommend the Raleigh tokul 3 instead. If you are using this for xc only and like no jumps this is great but if you are doing riding such as me I would get the bike I mentioned earlier. If this was a defective wheel and I don't have this problem again I will update this reveiw if I figure out how but as it is that is what I think of this bike.

[Feb 23, 2016]
paulmich

Strength:

Versatile, good frame, Giant brand name, excellent components, fast

Came with coil fork (would have preferred air)

This is my 7th mountain bike since 1993. It is by far the best I have owned as this things is fast on the trails with minimal pedal power. I have the 2015 Talon 2 which I got for $1,020 brand new. I have the 27.5" tires and that seems to be a good fit for me (I have the medium size). The stock hydro brakes will work well. It is the Auriga brakes. Comes with Deore shifting components which is top of the line for mountain biking. This is a versatile bike that can be ridden on dirt trails and pavement. I even purchased a headlight so now I can hit the rail trails at midnight (night riding is a blast!) The Talon line up comes in 4 models with price ranging from $600 to $1,400. If your looking for a top of the line sport hardtail- the Giant Talon will serve you well.

[Oct 21, 2015]
Graham

Strength:

Price, Componentry, Set Up, Lightweight

None so far

Just echoing the review by Todd on 1st August 2015. The Talon 4 is my first new bike, I'm early 50's, and have been mountain biking around 20 years. The bike was a run out 2015 model and cost New Zealand NZ$675 replacing my old second hand Bauer Devils Peak.The bike is incredible value for money for someone wanting to get back into the mountains and trails to just ride without doing the party tricks. I'm 6'.3" and the XL size with the Talons wider handlebars, 27.5 wheels and hydraulic brakes are just perfect. Don't pay too much attention to reviews talking about "lower end of the scale" componentry as we're not all world champions. Buy a bike based on affordability and a realistic view on what you hope to achieve - for me the Talon 4 ticked all the boxes.

[Oct 03, 2015]
Kevin

Strength:

Light aluminum frame, 27.5 wheels (awesome), brakes are great.

Front fork is stiff and heavy.

Looked at a lot of bikes for less than $1000 and the Talon has best bang for your buck. It was a big change going from my 1992 GT (no suspension steel frame 26" wheels). Lovin' the 27.5 wheels and size large aluminum frameI ('m 6' 195 lbs). I'm looking into the Suntour upgrade program and plan to get into an air shock. I've heard people badmouth the brakes, but I think they are great (good stopping power and NO noise!). Very pleased with my purchase :-)

[Aug 01, 2015]
Todd

Strength:

Decent components for the price for sure...smooth shimano shifters and drive train. Love the hydrolic brakes. Great looking bike with a solid frame and quality paint job. Like the quick and easy lockout for the front forks as well. 27.5" tires roll beauty and climbs well. An excellent 'entry level' quality XC hardtail bike.

Only put about 30 hours on the bike so far but zero complaints. Front shocks a bit stiff at first but a quick adjustment for my weight solved that.

This is my first new bike in over 20 years. I'm in my mid 40's now and quickly realized when began to research things just how far bike technology has come over that time. Honestly it was a bit overwhelming. So many manufacturers and an enormous amount of different levels of components. My Talon is actually a 2016 model. I live in the interior of BC Canada which has become a mecca for all types of XC and downhill biking. We had an early spring and our local stores quickly started selling out of 2015's which forced some companies to start shipping the newest models to meet demand. My bike was $730 canadian...an excellent value for the money. It suits my moderate XC riding beautifully, great on roads and trails. I would recommend this bike for anyone getting back into biking. It wont break the wallet, performance for the price is outstanding, and the resale by the looks of things is good too if you decide to upgrade. Very difficult here to find a used Giant of any level. (good sign) Great bike!

[Oct 21, 2014]
Derek

Strength:

Great components for the price, very lightweight, good cornering and role over ability. Shifts like a dream. Decent price. Blacked out frame looks sweet!

I did replace the seat with a serfa tailbone only because I have become accustom to the softer seats. However, I will admit that the seat that came on it was softer than some stock seat on bikes I have bought.

I had decided after riding a hard rock for years it was time to upgrade to a bike with better components and disk brakes. After doing a couple of demo rides on 29ers and then taking out a 27.5 I began to realize that the 27.5 had the good rollovers of the larger diameter wheel with additionally the good pulling power of like the 26er. the thing that I noticed the most though was the cornering ability. I felt like I could actually ride faster on the 27.5 then I could on my 26 due to its ease to carry momentum. My 26 was a more fat tire model which made a big difference because with this I was able to learn how to really corner which I carried over to the new 27.5. The skinner tires make you more attentive to keeping hands on bars due to them being less stable to a fat tire. The brakes are absolutely fantastic they are not too grabby. I was also amazed at how light the frame was. It's so much lighter than the Specialized Hardrock I used to have. I'm saying that but I want people to know that I'm not brand specific. I have road Gary Fisher's, Trek, and specialized but now that a local dealer has picked up Giant and they are one of the few bike manufacturers that you can get a large and extra large frame with a 27.5 wheel it was the main reason for me going with the giant company. Anorther good thing is it hae presta valves and a 3x10 gearing. Let me say this, 10 gear rears are the way to go! I hardly ever find myself needing to change front rings. The best thing of all though was all of the good components that I got and the things that I was looking for in a bike for the price that they had listed. This combination I feel will be a great entry level bike to mid-level bike for anybody who is a step up above amateur or beginner.

[Aug 22, 2014]
Travis

Strength:

1. Lightweight for the price
2. Air fork and great components
3. The brakes are amazing

Crank arms will need loctite to stay on
Seatpost bolt isn't very good and also required loctite

I switched to this bike after riding a slightly upgraded 2007 Gary Fisher Marlin for many years. It was the result of getting fed up with the limitations of an old platform and desperately wanting hydraulic disc brakes.

Over the span of a few weeks I test rode many bikes including the Salsa El Mariachi 1, The Specialized Crave, and The Trek X-Caliber 8. These were legit test rides and not just a few laps in a parking. I can honestly say that, apart from the Salsa (which I did not purchase due to price and not wanting to wait for an order), this bike outperformed every other model I test rode. The componentry, wheel size, and performance make it a great buy that will provide many years of enjoyment.

I entered the market searching for a 29er and ending up leaving with a 27.5. Now, I don't have enough experience with 29ers to lay claim to a defensible position for any wheel size but I can say that I've been tremendously happy with my bike thus far.

I ride it a least two times a week over North Florida trails that feature roots and sandy conditions in abundance. Compared with my old 26 inch wheels, the 650b platform is a godsend. I am able to comfortably roll over obstacles that were much more disconcerting on my old bike. The cornering ability of this bike compared with a stellar braking system allows much quicker entry into turns and I find that Talon will hold the line confidently.

Florida trails are obviously much different than what other parts of the country may offer, but I feel the technical challenges that do exist may often be disregarded by more mountainous states. Floridians must contend with frequent wet conditions as well as sand and roots being present in nearly every trail that I ride. These elements combined with steep if short climbs require a bike that maintains its composure in dynamic enviroments. This is where the Talon shines. The Schwalbe Rapid Robs have served me well. They are very grippy and VERY fast. I have only popped a tube once and it was a pitch flat from a botched bunny hop that was more my fault than the bike.

The two issues that have occurred are as follows.

The crank tends to loosen from the bottom bracket quite frequently. I have ensure that it was torqued to spec by both myself and bike mechanics at the store where I bought it.

The seatpost bolt (the one under the saddle) also comes loose and I have also ensured that this was torqued to spec as well. Both of these have been fixed with loctite blue thread locker, however, the bottom bracket issue was disconcerting as the time first time I noticed it I was pretty far out in the woods and walked it back to avoid damaging anything. My park tool allen wrenches were not enough to to supply sufficient torque.

Other than these two issues, the bike has been amazing and I can't recommend it enough. It has been describe as an entry-level bike but it feels like so much more. Deore and XT components, hydraulic brakes, bleeding edge wheel size, and amazing tires deliver great performance at a cost that doesn't require a mortgage or auto loan.