Specialized Rib Cage Water Carrier

Rib Cage

Lightweight, race-ready cage for road or dirt. Mimimalist styling and weight, maximum strength and bottle retention.

• Ideal for road or mountain use
  • Super strong composite material won't corrode, won't scratch bottles
  • Made in USA

• User Reviews (9)

Simone   Weekend Warrior [Sep 04, 2007]
    Strength:

Simple design, looks nice

Looks like cheap plastic, not durable

Mine broke after a crash. But other than that, it is fine. The simplicity is attractive and was able to install on my Rocky Mtn Slayer which has the horrible cage on the bottom frame set-up. There were cables running on the bottom to make matters worst, but since this cage was small and simple, it was not a problem.

Daniel   Cross Country Rider [May 01, 2001]
    Strength:

looks, weight, works very good

quality

quite a good product, holds bottle extremely good. BUT: it is has a very, very poor finish, especially for a manufacturer like Specialized. The Ribcage scratched my bottle first time i put it in, because of some sharp edge on the plastic.

because of this just 4 chilis overall and for this crappy quality its too expensive.

Mel S.   Weekend Warrior [Apr 04, 2001]
    Strength:

Simple design; stylely looks, works great.

None.

I've used a couple of these cages (Specialized Rib Cage) on my MTB's and have had no problems with them whatsoever. They look good with a selection of colors, and do the job - bottom line!

Similar Products Used: Wire cages.
    Mark   Weekend Warrior [Apr 02, 2001]
    Strength:

Lightweight, good looks, holds bottle better than the aluminum cage that came with my bike. Won't catapult bottles.

None so far, but it seems that band that holds the bottle might go sooner than you would think. So far it's held nicely, though.

Good product, great for those concerned about weight. Comes in great colors for those wanting to match with their bike finish. I'm giving 4 chili's for value because of the band thing, but Specialized told me they will have replacements on their site and you can get them from a dealer also. 5 chili's for overall rating. Will buy one again.

Similar Products Used: Specialized aluminum cage.
    PHil   Racer [Oct 09, 2002]
    Strength:

Light and solid.

I was a little nervious about the rubber strap corroding and snapping on me, but after a year of good use it is still working fine. I really like the looks and the hold of these little puppies. I like them so much that I know own 6 for my various bikes. At $7 they are right in the range of cheap models, but they look so much cooler. This may be the SINGLE in-house Specialized product that they actually did a good job on. FINALLY I found one.

I have had a lot of nasty wreck, and not once did these suckers let go. Givem a try.

Similar Products Used: Lots of aluminum stuff.
    John   Weekend Warrior [Aug 05, 2005]
    Strength:

Super minimal design, alomst no weight, WOW!

Elastic broke before 2years had passed and the price of $12/CAN back in 1997.

Super expensive, Super tiny, Super light weight. I was hoping it would last more then 1 year as the elastic went, but the rest of it is perfect. I think I still have it, in an - odds & ends/bike parts box - along with the platform peddals from my 1994 Raleigh Matterhorn, Rock Shox Quadra 5 rubber bumpers, etc. I just couldn't throw it away. I'll use a rubber band.
    Bottom Line: Excellent item, a bit too pricey and the elastic is well...

Similar Products Used: Profile Racing, Specialized Alloy (Road/5.0),
    Specialized Alloy (Mtb/6.2), Bell Alloy (Mtb/6.2).
    Pawel   Cross Country Rider [Oct 23, 2004]
    Strength:

Grips a bottle well without scratching.

The rubber band around the cage snaps sooner or later. Don't throw the rubber away but use it as a stencil to cut out a new band out of an old tube. Better, cut a stencil out of the paper using the band, right after getting the cage.

The snapping band is annoying. If you put the cage on the down tube and ride in slacks, another potential problem, difficult to take care of, is that of the cage catching the slack leg. A superior cage that grabs the bottle well, without a problem of the rubber snapping, is the Zefal S-Cage.

Similar Products Used: Profile Kage, Zefal S-Cage, Tacx Tao Cage
    AJ   Weekend Warrior [Sep 05, 2004]
    Strength:

Lightweight minimalist design doesn't mean that it holds the bottle with any less strength. because its a plastic body with a strong rubber clamping ring, it doesn't loose its grip over time like Aluminium cages.

None so far that I've experienced.

I've had a few offs and the Ribcage never let go of my bottle. The only thing with them is that they are a little suspect if knocked from the side due to its plastic body. But as far as not letting go of your water bottle, its tops.
    They are lightweight, not that expensive, easy in easy out but don't let your bottle fly if you stack it.
    If thats the major criteria for you when you look for a water bottle, then this will certainly fufil your needs with aplomb.

Similar Products Used: Tried 2 or 3 different aluminium bottle cages before trying this one.
    Alex   Weekend Warrior [Oct 13, 2007]
    Strength:

Has never dropped my bottle - enough said

Band will age if left in sun

For 7 years, I've beaten my bike up on a weekly basis.. mud, rocks, swamps, jumps.. you name it. I pass the dropped water bottles all the time on the trail. I don't worry about mine. The cage works and keeps a snug fit. Who needs a carbon fiber water bottle cage? Are you mountain biking in combat?

Cost is low. It won't stretch, It won't hook your clothes. It won't make you ride any faster but that because its a waterbottle holder. It holds the bottle!

Similar Products Used: mish-mosh of other water bottle cages.