Hydrapak Ammo Water Carrier

A padded, adjustable and removeable waistbelt. Ergonomically designed to hold the pack off the back and allow ventilation. The Gulp Valve's spring-loaded poppet starts the flow when it is depressed with the lips, tounge or teeth. 100oz & 585 cubic in

Jeff E.   Cross Country Rider [Aug 22, 2003]
Strength:

(This review is for last years model) well built, heavy duty, comfortable

This pak is the best by far for the money, its well built, super comfortable, great storage, feels very secure when riding, the only minor prob. was a leaky mouth piece, its not quite as lite as the HAWG, or as roomy, but this thing is built to last, really sturdy,heavy duty fabric, if your counting oz. its not for you, if your looking for a great all around pak this is it....

Similar Products Used: camelbak HAWG (also a great pak)
Arwin   Weekend Warrior [Nov 15, 2006]
Strength:

Good compartments. Good and simple seal on bladder. Service from Hydrapak.

Seal on bladder is not completely water tight, but a good balance with the simplicity.

I am primarily writing because I broke the waist clasps on both the packs I bought years ago. I don't believe Hydrapak even makes the Ammo model any longer. I contacted Hydrapak to buy new clasps. Hydrapak didn't charge me for new clasps they only charged me for the cost of mailing them to me. The person I spoke with was friendly, courteous and helpful. I couldn't be happier with the service they provided. When the time comes to replace my packs I'll likely go back to Hydrapak.

Bob   Weekend Warrior [Mar 24, 2004]
Strength:

Great amount of storage, looks great and works great!

I used it once so far and it fits great feels great and I am totally satisfied with it. Has enough room for my Toolmanator, tubes, pump, food, sunglasses and food. Very good for the money!

Similar Products Used: None
Aryn   [Feb 23, 2006]
Strength:

Got it cheap. $25 from Pricepoint

Only lasted one season but hey it was only $25. Got what I paid for. I actually bought 4 so I could give some out to other friends who just started riding also. Started leaking where the hose attaches to the bladder. My friends leaks at the mouth piece and even with the lock on. After a year two of us upgraded. The other two lost intrest in riding.

Bought it when I started riding 4 years ago. It made it through one season on me learning how to ride and falling on it twice. Can't fix the bladder so it and kept the pack. Now I use the pack for longer rides when I need to bring more stuff. I just swap in my bladder from my MULE. I think it's worth having for a second pack for those long epic rides but don't use it as your main pack for shorter daily rides. Although now for another $30 you can get a old model HAWG. guess it depends on the cash flow. For what I paid I give it 4 chillis but durability it gets 2.

Similar Products Used: Mule
Howard   Cross Country Rider [Oct 03, 2004]
Strength:

Price

The bladder is hard to clean, but the valve ruins the pack. The Hydrapack’s valve is weak in two areas. First, it is difficult to use. You must grip it with your teeth, press a spring with your tongue, and then sip. I found the process cumbersome and distracting, especially when compared to Camelback's bite and sip valve. Second, the Hydrapack’s valve pulls out of your mouth due to the stiff tubing springing back from the tight curve from pack to mouth. Camelback avoids this with a suppler tube and larger, easier to grip "T" valve.

The Hydrapack Ammo is inexpensive, about half the price of the similar Camelback M.U.L.E. 100. But Camelback's ease of use, ease of cleaning, and quality justify the extra thirty dollars. If money is tight, try a smaller Camelback.

Similar Products Used: Camelback M.U.L.E. 100.