Gregory Arroyo Water Carrier

Gregory Arroyo

Infusionathan   Weekend Warrior [Dec 18, 2001]
Strength:

Great pack design: comfortable, tough, lightweight, comfortable, enough room for all my junk, lots of compression straps, did I say comfortable?
Oh, and it has a lifetime gaurantee

Great bladder: Lightest-weight, biggest, seems to be durable so far.

Bite valve rocks:enough flow and NO leakage.

Velcro zip-tie for holding tube to shoulder strap doesn't work as described. Try attaching it to the velcro on the inside of the sternum strap. That works.

Bladder was hard to get into insulated pouch without crumpling. Try folding in the edges to get it inside, then puff it up with air prior to filling with water.

If you are looking for a hydration pack with enough storage space for a reasonable all-day trip, look no further. This pack beats Camelbak hands down. NO gimmicks here. Just an extremely functional, well-built pack. The quality really is impressive. Ask anyone who owns a Gregory backpack. This company knows how to make a great pack, and there bladder system follows up on this. The insulated pouch works well, and the bladder imparts absolutely no taste to your water. Be sure and put the bladder inside the insulated pouch before filling. Things work much better that way. Gregory's bite valve is the best. Only two incredibly simple parts to it, good flow, and it doesn't leak AT ALL!

Not to mention the whole shebang is signifigantly lighter than anything else on the market with the same features.

Fully loaded, this thing will keep you going all day. Heading out for less than an epic? Just don't fill the bladder all the way and cinch down the compression straps. All the compression straps are long enough to strap a jacket, coat, shoes, you name it, to the outside of the pack. I like compression straps a lot better than bungie cords. When gravity pulls on your stuff, the thing that's holding your your stuff to your pack doesn't stretch. The shoulder straps are extremely comfortable (the S-curve really makes a difference) and the cool-max lining of both straps and back is a boon. The velcro attachment of the sternum strap is really cool. You can position it anywhere you want on the shoulder straps, and it stays put once you make up your mind. Add to all this that the pack is available in some great colors (chili red kicks butt!).

Overall, this product rocks. 5 flamers all around!

PS
If you don't need as much storage space as the Arroyo offers, check out the Baja, or some of Gregory's other smaller hydration packs.

Similar Products Used: none.
Aaron   Weekend Warrior [Jul 25, 2000]
Strength:

Color (Chili Red is the best)

Price $75

Bladder (Not plastic like the ones in Camelbaks)

Bag has a lot of pockets and straps for gear it is also very comfortable

Water doesn't taste funny and it stays cool

Lifetime Warranty

Possibly the bladder. It is made from a kind of really tough foil or something. Seems kinda flimsy and it's kinda hard to fill, but it does it's job. I don't know how long it'll last because I haven't owned the bag for that long.

I think Camelbaks are over rated. I think this bag is a great alternative that is in the same price range. Overall I am very pleased with it. If you don't like Camelbaks check this bag out you won't be dissapointed.

Similar Products Used: Camelbaks
Charlie   Cross Country Rider [Apr 16, 2000]
Strength:

Construction, design, comfort, capacity -- water and cargo, suspension system, durability.

Bite Valve, but I understande that they've redesigned it.

I've got the Mirage. A great pack that can carry nearly a gallon of water If you're really thirsty, or on a desert/group ride a second bladder can be easily carried (though you can feel the weight.) Plenty of room for a days food, drinks, tools, raingear, and warm clothes. 600 cubes, but straps on the bottom, and I've added a bunge across the back to stuff a shirt or jacket so I don't have to open up the main compartment. I've used my bag for 3 years plus and, other than sweat and dirt, there are no signs of wear.

Similar Products Used: Camelback, Blackburn
steef   Weekend Warrior [Mar 17, 2000]
Strength:

warranty (lifetime!!)
price
bladder size

bite valve leaks

Used the gregory mirage with a camelbak bite valve for over 2 years without a hitch. When the bladder started leaking, where the hose goes into the red cap, I e-mailed gregory about a replacement and was quite suprised to receive one about 4 weeks later free of charge. Kinda slow, but can't beat the price...if it's not free it's not me.
I give it 5 flamers.

Similar Products Used: camelbak mule
Carlos J. Montanez   weekend warrior [Jun 07, 1998]

The Gregory Hydration System is a great product. I paid about $35 for
mine, and it sure puts to shame all of them $70 bags out there. I use mine
for mountain bicycling, in-line skating, and hiking. The only bad thing is
that I have about 10 obsolete water bottles and fanny packs that are
of no further use to me! Nothing compares with a hydration system.
I give it 5 big stars.

zach   cross-country rider [May 14, 1998]

got this hydration system over a year ago. What a great bag! Holds plenty of water. I've never drank all of my water and I even have to share water with my faithful riding companion, my black lab. There are two zipper pouches and a mesh pocket. Enough room to hold your weed, pipe, car keys and a couple tools. Plus it has this groovy bladder insulater that keeps you water cold, so when you have some really bad dry-mouth, you're ready to go! Good product that has yet to fall apart. Stars?? What happened to chilis?

Rob   weekend warrior [Mar 29, 1998]

This thing rules. I just got one for my birthday and it is the best hydration pack I've tried. The harness
fits way better than any Camelbak and the whole back is lined with coolmax so you don't get as
sweaty. It holds more water than I've ever been able to drink on one ride (100 ounces) and you can
barely tell you're wearing it. It doesn't have a whole lot of storage space, but neither do any other
ones out there. This one definitely gets 5 stars.

Raivyn   Weekend Warrior [Jul 18, 2001]
Strength:

COMFORTABLE! I am a 5'2" female, and most of the packs out there did not fit me comfortably. This product was recommended by a female friend of mine who had a Camelbak Mule and had the same problem. It doesn't bother me at all while wearing it.
Insulated bladder keeps the water cool.
Zippered pocket and mesh pocket are enough to hold my wallet, cell phone, spare tube and tools. It also has a bungee/pocket for strapping a jacket if you get a little cold.
Lifetime warranty - and Gregory makes good products anyway.
It holds 100oz, which so far has been more water than I need while riding.
Coolmax lining wicks moisture off my back.

I've heard you're better off getting an insulated tube, but so far that hasn't been an issue with me.

Buy a Gregory over the Camelbaks, regardless of what kind of riding you do (but especially if you ride dirt because these things will be more durable). I have the Gregory Baja, not the Arroyo, which I chose because it had the bungee and zippered pocket. The Arroyo has a larger zippered pocket but no bungee. IMO either bag is a superior product to the Camelbaks, especially considering the price. You're paying for the pack, (bladders are generally interchangable/replacable), and since Gregory is actually in the business of making packs (hiking/expedition), they know what they're doing.

And to fill the bag, place the bladder inside the insulated bag first, and then fill with water. It's much easier than filling the bladder first and then trying to get it into the insulated bag. The whole thing slides into the pack very easily.

Similar Products Used: None - I've been looking for products other than Camelbak. Competition is a good thing, and I like options.
Martin   cross-country rider [Jul 19, 1998]

I own a Gregory Mirage. This is the larger Gregory Hydration pack that includes an insulated hydro-pak space and tool compartment, etc. This is one of the most comfortable packs around. The side of the pack that is against your back has a stiff lining that protects your back from the tools and cargo in your pack. The shoulder straps are constructed the same way. You don't even notice the weight on your back. Extremely large bladder. I've had no problems with it. Replacment bladders are pretty cheap anyway for the Gregory packs. Only complaint is with the bite valve. Gregory boasts that it's the next best thing to sliced bread and that it doesn't drip. Sliced bread is much better and it does drip. Pay the $4.99 and get a camelbak bite valve. I have the Cannondale hydropak as well but it doesn't hold next to the Gregory. I gave the Cannondale pack to my girlfriend.

Harold A   Cross Country Rider [Apr 13, 2002]
Strength:

Everything, holds alot for a small pack, straps, pockets, even the Mylar Water Bladder(Could be better in opening area for ice. But, great so far!).

No yet!!!

Finally got a chance to use pack when riding w/my daughters. Was extremely suprised with the carry capicity; carried 2 jackets, water, food, tools, first aid kit, and still had plenty of room to spare!! Best part, the pack was very snug against my back. Never knew it was there!!! Looking forward to using it in short adventure races/duathons!! Great deal at campmor.com on Sale at only $29.97 vs. $80. Don't keep reading reviews, buy one now!!!

Similar Products Used: Full size packs for hiking, and a generic hydration pack, which has limited space!