Dakine Drafter Water Carrier

The DAKINE Drafter Bike Pack is ideal for those long summer rides when you need to carry more water than extra gear. With a 100-oz reservoir and room for all the essentials, the Drafter pack keeps you rolling without weighing you down.

Jerrman   Cross Country Rider [Jun 03, 2013]
Strength:

The pack is well organized with several pockets. Plenty of room for all the essentials plus some. Sturdy material with quality zippers. Very good price through Pricepoint.com. It's sleek, not cumbersome design is a strong point.

I do not like the bite valve or the closure device on the bladder. The bite valve leaks and allows air into the tube. It's also difficult to get a big drink which is a major drawback in my opinion. The slot for the water line is small and its a struggle to get the bite valve through. The back padding can be uncomfortable. If the pack is even slightly off center of my spine the rails in the padding get very uncomfortable as it rubs against the bone. Sorry, I don't have the extra cushion some folks do. There is a hook for the water line on the left shoulder strap only. I'm a right handed drinker so this does me no good.

4 Flamin' Chilis for the value and potential but only 2 for overall because I don't care for the bladder which is the key weakness. I have replaced the bladder with my old Camelbak bladder which made this much more tolerable. I tossed the bladder that came with it, it's not even worth keeping for a backup. I like the storage and fit but I'm not happy with the back padding, it's too firm. It's good quality and it's easy to find for a good price. If you aren't too picky about the bladder and the minor things I pointed out then you will probably be just fine with this pack. Myself, I will be going back to Camelbak when this one is worn out....in about 10 years. Like I said it's a well built pack.

Similar Products Used: Camelbak HAWG
phclaw   All Mountain Rider [May 26, 2013]
Strength:

Tons of room, lots of pockets, very comfortable

The water bite valve maybe a little small when you want a lot of water, but it's really no big deal - it's the only place a camelbak big bite valve has on this pack, but everything else, I prefer the dakine. Dakine has a much easier water-loading system.

Got this on sale for 40 bucks and it's worth all that and more. Just a great pack, although the camelbaks are fine too, but I really like this pack - I can carry armor, an extra helmet (though I usually don't), and there's just a ton of pockets all easily accesible, plus a padded pocket for your phone.

Similar Products Used: Camelbak mule, lobo
wcj1983   [Sep 15, 2012]
Strength:

The bladder is easy to fill to the brim, and the storage compartments plus pad straps really manage any load well.

None so far!

Bought the Drafter because it was half-off...but I've owned both Camelbak and Northface hydration paks and have to admit I would take this over either. I don't like the caps on the side of the bag with Camelbaks, as you never seem to be able to fill the bag all of the way. This thing fills from the top, and is super easy to clean.

mikesbales   [Sep 13, 2012]
Strength:

I've had this for over a month and I'm still finding pockets inside it. This will hold everything you could need for a ride: Shorts, shoes, socks, gloves, hat, pump, tools, etc. all within a stylish, thick material case. And at a price of only $40.00 (Pricepoint) I couldn't ask for much more

The only reason this didn't get five stars on the Overall Rating for me is that the hydration bladder seals with a plastic rail that reminds me somewhat of a zip-loc baggie. I haven't had any issues with leakage, however, I can see how it could become problematic. I wish they had used a bladder such as those used by Camelbak or even Wal-Mart brands which seal with a cap, not a plastic rail. But, if it ever fails I will be upgrading to a Camelbak or similar bladder.

Great bag for the money, I couldn't ask for much more. Defiantly would recommend.

Lule   [Jul 29, 2012]
Strength:

Excellent gear compartments, good air-flow across the back, sturdy zippers. The Hydrapak bladder opens wide and easy to fill.

Hydrapak bite valve leaks and the valve lock requires two hands to operate.

I'm pleased with the pack overall so far. The bite valve is the only drawback to this pack. The designers at Hydrapak really missed the mark with the 45* valve and the two-handed lock. Camelbak bite valve is too small to fit the hose, of course. This would be a top-notch pack with a different bladder.

Blksocks   Cross Country Rider [May 20, 2010]
Strength:

Sewing is done right and has pockets for the little important things needed on bike trails. Holds the pump just fine and tubes without any issues. Can fit an extra XXL shirt folded and a rag or two for emergencies PLUS the 3L hydrapack.

None.

BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK!

Jacques Pienaar   Weekend Warrior [Dec 07, 2009]
Strength:

Design, Materials, Adjustability/Fit, Airflow, Bottom Pad Straps that can be hidden inside the bag, "Helmet Storage", Versatility of use, Space, Strong and Durable

None noted yet.

This is the do it all bag for me. Fits my helmet and knee protection in both specific places it was designed for. Zip it open and you find 2 Zip Pockets, I use one for a toolset and the other for a small medical box for those gnarly tumbles up and out there. A +-12 inch long slide-in pocket for the pump and another open-at-the-top pocket that keeps two spare inner tubes to avoid ever walking home again. Zip open the "bladder" part and you have up to 3 litres of water capacity in a non-odor non-after taste bag easy to clip out and clip back in for fill ups. Would highly recommend this "water-pack".

Similar Products Used: Camel Back M.U.L.E, Dakine Gazier
ALMtbChick   Weekend Warrior [Nov 30, 2009]
Strength:

The set-up is awesome- I love that the water pouch comes out of the pack without having to wrangle out the tube. It also has pockets to keep everything organized.

Leaks like a sieve from where the tube connects with the bite valve, which hasn't been so awesome in cold weather. I've contacted customer service at Dakine, and they were quick to initially respond and ask for my address, but I haven't heard anything since. We'll see....

I love the set-up of the Drafter pack, and so far it's been very comfortable for long rides (and I'm a short-waisted girl). But I will have to look into returning it if the leaking water problem isn't resolved.

Similar Products Used: Camelback
fcaw11   Weekend Warrior [Aug 24, 2009]
Strength:

Hydrapak, quick disconnect at bladder, remove entire bladder with tube in bag still, makes for easy fill & cleaning, ZERO taste from bag & tube on first use with RO water. Air flow on back & shoulder straps are excellent. Shoulder strap & back padding is perforated for air flow, removeable waist straps, small insultated thermal pocket for gels and such. Storage pockets within main storage.

Draw straps do not have velcro at the end for shortening the excess dangling like a Camelbak Mule does.

Overall the this hydration back is awesome. The more I use it, the more I like it due the bladder/tube design by Hydrapak. It's a well thought out bag.

Similar Products Used: Camelbak Mule 2008
Camelbak Rogue 2001
Stewmander   Weekend Warrior [Aug 13, 2009]
Strength:

Compact, yet carries up to 3L of water. Plenty of room for wallet, keys, phone, GPS plus some extra gear. Has built in straps for a helmet and other armor. Drink tube clip is very handy, and the clip to hold the bladder is very nice. Looks great too!

Only "weakness" I had was a bad/skunky smell and taste. I cleaned out my bladder and drink tube with dish soap, baking soda, and hydration pack cleaning tablets, nothing solved it. I think I narrowed it down to the drink tube, possibly the material itself, which is the root of the bad smell and taste. I contacted Dakine about it, and they sent me a new bladder, drink tube, and valves FREE as part of my warranty (even though it was a gift, all I did was ask for a new drink tube). Great product and even better customer service.

Awesome product, so far everything I have purchased from Dakine has been great. The customer service is just as good as the products they sell, and you won't go wrong with this hydration pack or any other Dakine product. Definitely look at this hydration pack if you are in the market or one!

Similar Products Used: None.