CamelBak Rocket Water Carrier

CamelBak Rocket Water Carrier

Versatile pack functions off-road and on with its sleek design--perfect for the multi-dimensional cyclist. Load it up for off-road adventures with tubes, pump, wallet, mini-tool, wind vest, bananas and energy bars, or just fill the reservoir for road riding. Aeroform(TM) 72-ounce baffled reservoir maintains an aerodynamic, low profile. Removable GelPocket(TM) holds your energy food and is conveniently located on the front of the shoulder strap for easy access. Pleated, expandable cargo space includes double zip panel with two organizers and pump holder. Venturi(TM) back panel allows for increased ventilation; insulated tube cover for cool water the first sip. Features Big Bite(TM) valve and screw cap closure; Ergo HydroLock provides ergonomic Bite Valve positioning and ensures leak-proof transport. Removable sternum and waist strap offer convenience and stability.

[Nov 06, 2009]
SHALAKO

Strength:

Very light even when bladder is filled. Has enough room for everything you need on shorter rides.

Probably too small for longer rides but thats why I use my Camelback Havoc on longer rides.

Perfect Camelback for shorter rides. GREAT value!

Camelback Havoc

[Jul 29, 2008]
Pete Fellows

Strength:

Lightweight even when loaded up with water.
Baffled reservoir to prevent sloshing.
Room for energy bars, bananas, pump & tools

Chest strap not wide enough, however even when removed the pack was stable on my back.

Great

Water bottle

[Jul 10, 2003]
Sean Dukes

Strength:

East to clean, insulated hose.

Design - that exo back thing just doesn't work. Difficult to refill quickly.

This pack is (according to Camelbak) supposed to hold 2.1 litres of water and 1.6 litres of gear, so I figured a multi tool, pump, spare tube and a very small jacket would just about fit (only just over a litre according to my measuring jug). Well they do if you don't put any water in. The 2003 pack has a rigid plastic X frame that's supposed to hold the stuff away from your back to keep you cool, but when the bladder is full (even with no gear - just water) it becomes convex rather than concave and presses on your spine. It hurts! The more gear you add the more it hurts. Also refilling means removing the bladder and everything in the pack and then repacking it all. Ok at home but in an enduro race (which is why I bought it) it's just a(nother) pain.

To be honest if it wasn't for the frame I like almost everything else about the pack - I suspect refilling would be easier too. Maybe if you can get a 2002 model cheap then it would be a good buy.

As it is, it works with about 1.2 litres of water and a couple of bits and pieces just as the manufacturer intended. If you want to carry more than this then I suggest you get something else.

Water bottles

[May 19, 2003]
micah voiers

Strength:

comfy, good storage, durable

Need a zipper at the top, I need to throw a towel over the top to help keep the water cool cause tiny piece of velcro doesn't hold it shut, thereby leaving the bladder to cook in the sun.

Since I like riding in the hot Texas days, I would get something else, since the water doesn't stay cool unless you cram a towel over the top....lame. Would have given 5 stars if they had a better closure method. The newer models I notice have a flap that goes over.

Other camelbacks

[Feb 07, 2007]
KPVSR

Strength:

Light, comfortable & stable. Holds 70oz, enough for a decent ride. Easy to fill & clean.

I found the waist strap not needed and uncomfortable so it is not used. The bladder gets a little hard to open if it is tightened too much.

I feel this is an excellent hydration pack for a 1-2 hour ride. I bring along an extra bottle in real hot weather but rarley need it. Some may need less or more fluids but for me this is about perfect.
For those having problems with the plastic backing bulging out I feel they are loading the bladder incorrectly. I had the problem twice and noticed it only happens when I try and force the bladder in. If I just get it started and shake it down it slides in just fine and leaves plenty of room in the pockets for anything needed for a 2 hour ride.
Filling the bladder is very easy with the extra large opening. I can use the ice dispenser on the fridge door for when I need to add ice. The large opening also makes it easy to clean.

[Jan 14, 2002]
Steve

Strength:

Well constructed, holds more than you need....its a Camelback!

Chest strap does not separate from harness if you want to remove and first model waist strap is thin. New model has remedied those issues

Purchased this product when it first came out, logging over 1,000 miles. Holds tools, spare tube for those who use tubes, zip ties, cell phone and winbreaker vest when needed. Though my bladder does protrude...barely, it works like a champ and if I needed another hydration pack, I would buy the same product without questions.

Mule

[Jan 14, 2002]
Dino

Strength:

Looks, construction, comfort.

Not compatible with included bladder.

This pack is poorly engineered. Every time I try to put the water bladder back into the pouch I get annoyed how the top of the bladder sticks out about 3 inches. You think the people who design these things would design a product that fits.

Camelback Mule

[Oct 18, 2003]
Tom

Strength:

Accessibility; comfort; ease of fill + ease of cleaning.

Great product. I almost didn't buy because of negative comments/reviews here. People posting negative reviews here should read the directions ;-). This is a can't miss product for mtbers and roadies alike. Acceptable amount of storage & thermal cover on drink tube works well also!

[Dec 20, 2001]
Clay

Strength:

Very comfortable over long rides. Storage space for all the necessary equipment. Baffled bag stops water slopping around. Tough.

Not one.

Was a huge fan of the Lobo until I lost it when moving. Bought the Rocket cos not Lobos in stock and what a blessing that was. The Rocket is far more comfortable than the Lobo and the storage is about the same, just better organised. I have taken a few spills on jungle tracks and the Rocket has probably saved me from a few back injuries. If you like to disappear on your bike for three to four hours - get it. This is just a great product.

Camelbak Lobo.

[Aug 09, 2006]
Sam

Strength:

Lightweight, looks awesome, holds just enough stuff, keeps water cool

NONE! If there was one, it would have to be the fact that you cant fill the bladder up 100% and have stuff in the pockets, otherwise the plastic X frame thingo wont pup back in properly

Best Camelbak available.
Its awesome for mtb riding... holds enough water for a 2.5-3hr ride, also enough room for a spare tube, pump, multitool, phone and ipod.
The X frame thing makes it heaps cumfy on your back. Bladder and tube is also well insulated