CamelBak M.U.L.E. Water Carrier

Camelbak M.U.L.E. 100 oz. Hydrapack. The original do-it-all pack from Camelbak , the MULE is a spectacular combination of utility and ergonomics. A cavernous 580 Ci of space and the XV ventilation system provide the proper fit and space for hour after hou

Mark   Cross Country Rider [Dec 21, 2013]
Strength:

Storage volume, well compartmentalized.

poor material choice, very stiff, not very comfortable, straps too thin. Included bladder hose is too stiff

I ride 150 miles a week on dirt with a MULE. Its volume, and number of compartments, are great. The choice of fabric is terrible, its noisy when riding, its super stiff, though seems to be very hard wearing. I have budget day packs more comfortable then this thing. The bladders tube is utter trash, so stiff. The older camelbaks I own have better tubes, this Its bend radius is about one foot.
Sadly I'm unaware of any via alternatives apart from throwing the bladder into a hiking pack.The 3L bladder is a great feature, on a hot summers day I can drink all 3L in 2 hrs.

Once loaded up with water, tools, a tube, a basic first aid kit, a spare jacket, and a rain jacket, you will be contemplating bike mounted panniers.

Similar Products Used: older camelbak's. This is my third in 15 years.
neuregel   Cross Country Rider [Apr 26, 2013]
Strength:

last long time, replacement water bladder and water bladder parts are easy to find and not expensive.

really none

I bought my mule back in 2003 gosh maybe 2002, its now 2013 and I still use it. Aside from changing out the water bladder here and there (just because they need to be changed) everything works. All the zippers still work. No fraying no cracking no rips or tears. Plenty of pockets and compartments and holds as much water and supplies as I need. Back around 2003-4-5-6 when I was 24hour racing, putting in hundred and hundreds of miles the mule survived it all in the mountains of calif and here on the east coast and its still holding up.

Similar Products Used: fox water back pack - mouth piece is horrible poor design
tylerw   Cross Country Rider [Apr 20, 2013]
Strength:

serves the purpose it was designed for and beyond

I bought this to replace using water bottles and a seat pack. I was always limited on things I should be carrying on my rides. I discovered this on a close out 2012 model sale and had no choice but to buy it. The bladder holds plenty of water for an nice long epic ride on the trails. It has enough room to carry all kinds of different quick eats on the trail to keep the calories in you all day long. The front storage are has separate compartments in it to keep your important things safe and secure all ride long. It fits very comfortably and fells to be of good quality. The zippers and all seem to be plenty durable. I would recommend this exact one to anyone who likes to be on the trail riding hard for more than 2 hours at a time.

Similar Products Used: just bottles in cages
nathan   All Mountain Rider [Mar 29, 2013]
Strength:

extremely strong bladder aswell as material

awesome bag it has enough space to put your few vital things that you need. and holds three liters of water. bottom line i would highly reccomend this

jeffro   Cross Country Rider [Dec 15, 2012]
Strength:

room for all of my crap, keys, cell..

had an issue with zipper on my original mule, which lasted me 8 season.

I used a mule for 8 seasons. Its been on my back every ride without fail. I had an issue with the zipper and Camelback took care of me, quickly. I have to say Camelback customer service is outstanding. They really do stand behind their products. I will buy another when this one wears out.

Similar Products Used: several camerlback bags
icecreamjay   All Mountain Rider [Sep 24, 2012]
Strength:

Lots of storage space, good compression.

None so far

The MULE is a very well thought out and executed hydration pack. Its got lots of expandable storage, can hold 100 oz of water and has some seperate pouches in the main pocket to hold tools and small items. There is a nice small pocket at the top that has a fleecy liner for your phone or ipod. The back panel has been redone as well and is improved but I still get a sweaty back. I sweat a lot anyway so this is not surprising.

I've been using a MULE pack for about 10 years and my old one is holding up very well. The only parts on my old one that are showing wear have been eliminated with the current model. I still use my old one, but just for hauling tools for trail maintenance. I have an Osprey raptor 6, which is also a nice pack, but is just a little too small for my liking. I gave it to my wife and got a new MULE.

Similar Products Used: Osprey Raptor 6 , Osprey Manta 20
Hans Brakob   [Apr 10, 2012]
Strength:

100-oz liquid capacity is BOSS! I use mine hiking in desert/mountain wilderness areas. Room for lunch, small first-aid/survival kit, GPS pocket. Durable (mine is six or seven years old) -- no signs of wear with ROUGH usage. The mesh storage area is great for sweaty layer garments --- sad to see that's not on new models of the MULE.

None in my style of usage.

Great pack --- I don't think I can wear it out. I think CAMELBAK made a mistake redesigning this unit, taking out some of the features of my older unit.

joe woods   Cross Country Rider [Feb 28, 2012]
Strength:

this pack has lasted my for a long time with out aging a lot. i use this pack 4 or five times a week and couldnt be happer

the pack is big but can hold anything you need.

a great product for mutiple uses that you want to last a long time

Similar Products Used: the other camel backs most sizes
bontragergreg   Cross Country Rider [Feb 23, 2012]
Strength:

The size, weight, storage, convenience, and quality make this a top pick for mountain biking. I have three camelbak's will buy another. I like the MULE the best because it holds my gear and has capacity for more when I need to throw in some cold weather gear or after I take it off. The reservoir is easy to clean and dries out quickly when I hang it after a ride. I like the wide opening which makes adding ice and water an easy task.

Even with the ventilation system it lays on your back and causes persperation.

This is a great product. Anyone can use it. I also use it when I go hiking and camping. I have never had a problem with a Camelbak product. The only thing I have ever had to replace is the bite valve.

Similar Products Used: My first hydration system was thrown away after my first ride with a Camelbak
Shark   Cross Country Rider [Feb 21, 2012]
Strength:

Carries enough water for most rides. (3L bladder)
Nice size, lots of small pockets/compartments.
Seems to hold up to a lot of abuse.

Does not have some of the cool features the new packs, but mine is 9 years old so it's no fault of the pack.

This pack is 9 years old.....!!! Seriously, it just keeps going & going.

I toss it in the washer about once/month (I know it is not recommended but it works well on gentle cycle). This pack still looks new, pretty amazing for how many times I have fell on it :)

The only signs of wear are the velcro that holds the bladder section together started to fray so I had it sewn. The part where the mesh clips onto the top of the pack is looking a bit worn, but that is likely due to me jamming too much stuff into it for the past 9 years.
Pretty sure I can get one or two more years out of it, then I will have to buy a new one, but very impressed !!