CamelBak M.U.L.E. NV Water Carrier

The Camelbak Mule NV mountain bike pack swallows up your gear and carries it effortlessly. Adjustable shoulder straps accommodate varying shoulder width with an easy width adjuster. There is space for your helmet, media pocket, and bike tool organizer pockets keep your essentials organized so that they are easily accessible during your ride. When the weather turns wet, you can use the integrated rain cover to keep your gear dry.

PeteStew   [Feb 21, 2013]
Strength:

Medium size pack with plenty of pockets, good venting, bright rain cover

Makes your back wet - Lasted 4 weeks before leaking from pipe to bladder connector

Plenty of wet storage and inbuilt rider water cooling!

rob1208lv   [May 17, 2012]
Strength:

Lots of pockets, good venting, 100L bladder, strong

to small for bike packing

I really like the mule nv vs the regular mule, fits my body type better, it has enough packets and room for a day trip, but not enough for a bike packing over nighter. overall this is a great pack

Similar Products Used: mule, jansport
Canyon Bob   Cross Country Rider [Nov 23, 2011]
Strength:

Plenty of zip pockets with separators for tools and gear. Comfortable straps and mesh back. Separate bladder pouch.

Antidote bladder leaks from quick connect and from O-ring at lid. Adjustable straps too long. Cheesy strap retainers. Lack of horizontal accessory attachment straps on shoulder straps for attaching stuff like camera cases, etc.

I like good gear and had hoped the new mule NV would fit that bill, but have been sorely disappointed. The waist straps are about 12" too long on both sides and the cheesy elastic retainers are just about useless.The soft lined stash pocket is too small to easily fit a pair of glasses.

But that's minor compared to the leaky Antidote bladder. At first glance the q/r hose and 1/4 turn fill cap seem like solid improvements over older models, until they begin to leak... then you'll wish you saved your old pack or bought something else. Nothing like putting on a wet pack just before a night ride.
Luckily I purchased this at REI, so no hassle returns and will be looking closely at Osprey. My bottom line is: don't buy it! (now I know why my LBS didn't stock it)

Similar Products Used: Camelbak, Vaude, Deuter
IowaCoug   Cross Country Rider [May 13, 2011]
Strength:

Size, weight, 100 oz. bladder, new bladder fit

none yet

Bought this for a 7 day trip to Moab/Fruita last week. Perfect size for 3-6 hour rides. The new bladder was great...easy to fill, fits flat in pack. Straps were comfortable and air flow on the back was excellent. No complaints so far except the price, but for what I used it for, it was worth it.

Similar Products Used: Camelbak MULE
bicyclezero   Cross Country Rider [Mar 28, 2011]
Strength:

Good bladder and bite valve. A history of making a quality build in the pack itself. I can't say anything for that at this point. comfortable pack overall the NV system is working well. Rain cover is a good thing.

Um, let me say this is a MULE that is a season or so old. So my problems are largely resolved in a new model I saw today. Compression straps are in the way of opening the main zipper compartment (fixed in version), outer pocket is useless, still no elastic cinch as the older models had to hold knee pads, jackets and whatever else to the outside of the pack. I cut the elastic cinch off of my old one and wove it into the new one. This worked really well and looks like it came that way. Why is the zipper to get the NV pad out backwards? It makes it hard to access the panel. Hard to get at the hydration bladder compartment. The small zipper pocket at the top of the pack for your mp3 player or phone or whatever isn't big enough for what it should be for - the battery for your night riding light. I have a NiteRider Enduro battery. Just BARELY fits. so difficult to get in and out I wouldn't bother trying again. Your phone will fit fine. Odd panels of rubbery plastic material - for a "look" all over the pack that seem to serve no purpose. On my friends camelbak this stuff ripped. Taking it out west to a big trip in CO. I'll update as needed.

needs refining.

Similar Products Used: Older Camelbak mule.
Italiantonio   Weekend Warrior [Oct 28, 2010]
Strength:

Durable, light weight, holds plenty of liquid, and comes in a nice selection of colors.

When riding with an almost full/full bladder there is little to no room left in the main compartment for belongings.

I loved that this pack came in white but ultimately had to return it because aside for a wallet, phone, and keys, there wasn't much room left for anything else. Thanks to REI's legendary return policy, I was able to take it back and then went with the HAWG NV which better suits my needs on space.

MartinS   Weekend Warrior [Sep 04, 2010]
Strength:

Well constructed, bite valve system is decent, shoulder straps are good.

Weird designed 'clips' are a pain and have to be opened to access bladder, heavy for what it is, old style bladder issues mentioned below, NV system is okay - not great and not worth the weight

Probably my least favorite version of the M.U.L.E., the goofy clip system is really annoying - fastex clips are better, and the fact I have to unclip them to access the bladder sucks. The NV system is okay, I did notice a bit more breathability when compared to my previous generation m.u.l.e., as others mentioned the new bladder looks like it will be easier to deal with than the current version. Another thing is the lack of the old elastic straps that used to exist on my original version (Camelback has also conveniently removed these from most of their other bags too - why?), they were great for strapping a jacket onto the bag, now I have to stuff it into the already smallish pockets and lose valuable packing space.
Quality and comfort is still really good, but it would be so easy for them to make this bag really great by simply incorporating features that they have done in past versions that worked well.

Similar Products Used: 2 previous versions of the M.U.L.E., Blowfish, original Camelback
Clones123   Weekend Warrior [Sep 04, 2010]
Strength:

Very well made with tons of features. The reservoir is easily removed for filling or storage in a fridge/freezer.

It's kinda heavy for what it is and I couldn't believe it holds so little! Camelbak just came out with their new Antidote reservoir which replaces the Omega HydroTanium and addresses it's problems - the new one looks to be WAY better.

I bought this on the strength of many positive reviews and one particular magazine that gave it 10 for 10 in a shoot-out review. When I received it though, I couldn't believe how little it held. Each pocket intrudes on the space available for the adjacent pocket. I took it back and got a Lobo instead - it's lighter and make more effective use of it's capacity. Look for new Camelbak models shipping with the new and vastly improved Antidote reservoir.

Similar Products Used: Various older models from Camelbak and High Sierra.
Keepthechange   Cross Country Rider [Sep 01, 2010]
Strength:

- Stable : stays on my back, doesn't throw me off balance or move at all ( the waist straps can be shortened if you think they're too long btw.. seems like a peculiar gripe to me)
- Durable : stitching seems strong, pack looks well-made
- Streamlined : it sure is a handsome pack

- Its just too small.. I go on small ride,2-3 hours at most. I bring a pump, two replacement tubes,tire pressure gauge, multi-tool, and sometimes a lock ( usually leave it in my car in parking lots though) and thats a stretch to fit everything in there if the bladder is anywhere near full.
- The bladder is decent but still can be frustrating at times, obviously this can easily be remedied by buying their latest offering which seems to have addressed any issues that the default bladder has

Good pack, and it works well for small trips... just too petite for any sort of day trip

Similar Products Used: Other camelbaks... other backpacks
tlefko   Cross Country Rider [Oct 31, 2009]
Strength:

The bag is much improved in terms of durability. It is much beefier than my old Camelbak and feels much sturdier all around. It has larger straps and the points of contact are well reinforced. It has a felt coated interior pocket for glasses which is a good idea however that is all you can keep in that pocket if you don't want your glasses to get scratched. For a bag that doesn't have too many smaller compartments I think the glasses pocket is better served for something else.
I suppose some may think the built in rain cover is cool but that sort of thing doesn't do much for me.

There are a few weaknesses with this bag:
1. the air circulation system is a complete gimmick. It does not make my back sweat any less than it used to. In fact the bag seems to have a much larger footprint on my back than the old one which actually increases the area of sweat on one's back. The difference in cost between the regular and NV MULE bags is not too much but I am not a big fan of spending extra for gimmicks.
2. the waist straps are a nuisance because they are so long. the strap keepers slide around and really don't assist in keeping the ridiculously long straps at bay. i think they had a 400lb man in mind when they designed the waist straps. a dude that big should get the Hawg...
3. there are not enough smaller pockets to keep your food and so forth separate from your extra clothing and tools. a few side compartments would really be ideal
4. the zipper to open the compartment that holds the water bladder requires that you un-clip one of the side straps - this is one helluva stupid design.
5. the rain cover is sewn into the bag so you can't remove it - again stupid design. the cover takes up space in the pack that could be used for other things when the sun is out

The bag is decent but the NV system doesn't make a darn bit of difference. I would recommend the pack as I think it is a durable bag that I think will last for years to come; however, I wouldn't spend the extra money on the NV system - just buy the normal MULE.